You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Some Brief Experiences And Questions

Real Ghost Stories

Some Brief Experiences And Questions

 

I'm new to this site and am very interested in the paranormal/looking for answers. So I will start by saying even though I have an interest in the paranormal I am somewhat a skeptic.

Now looking for proof of the paranormal, I went to an old abandoned mental hospital with 2 friends. Even though nothing mind blowing or opinion changing happened, there were a few weird things. I was asking for someone to give us a sign if they're there and I heard and felt somebody walk up behind me but, of course, I turned around and there was nothing there.

Also another odd thing was that, even though my phone has never ran out of battery, it drained and shut down within 10 minutes of being there.

The most spooky experience made us all run out lol. Basically, we were walking down a corridor leading towards a medium-sized room. It wasn't an individual patient's room because it was too big, so it must of been a gathering/leisure place for all the patients, I'm not sure. But anyway, as we were walking down the corridor towards the room, we heard a pretty loud bang. And it wasn't just the usual building creaking sound. It sounded as if something large had been thrown or as if somebody was stomping their foot really hard and I actually have this on video (it was before my phone died). So when we all heard this loud bang, we all turned and ran out immediately. We got the courage to return to the area and it had a very uneasy feeling to it.

So that's pretty much it for my experiences there but my question is (cause I'm thinking of going back), can ghosts follow you home? I'm asking because it's all good and fun getting a thrill at some place but if something followed you home, that's a whole different story. Also, when I came home from my first time, I didn't feel myself and kind of felt on edge for the rest of the night... So thoughts?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lee267, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ICYou2 (1 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-09-30)
Yes, ghosts can follow you home. If you feel one is attached to you or in your home, do a cleansing. Various methods are available online. I believe the one I used was

1) Open a window

2) wear a cross or Star of David or other symbol of your beliefs

3) carry a lit candle or burn white sage as you walk around your home, waft the smoke toward yourself and throughout the room, paying special attention to corners

4) Repeat a mantra/an instruction to leave your home (and body if necessary.) I said something like "Leave this body and this home."

One cleansing method is listed here: http://www.wicca-spirituality.com/house-cleansing-ritual.html

For future protection, you can carry stones, herbs, or symbols. I carried a small bag of protective stones to my last ghost hunt and had no bad interactions. Unfortunately, it did seem to lessen communications. Maybe I should carry only one protective stone? Check this site: https://www.ghostlyactivities.com/stones-that-protect-against-evil-spirits/
paul19 (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
Good Story reminds me of ghost hunting shows. Did you by any chance have a recording?
Lee267 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
[at] valkricry - Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely take what you said into account!
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Lee, Rook has given you the best (in my opinion) suggestions for protection from having a ghost follow you home.
He has also given you some sound advice on staying safe. Now, as a person who has been the only living being in several locals from brand new buildings to those well over 100 years old, I can tell you that silence amplifies you're own movements. Those footsteps behind you could quite possibly be echoes of your own steps, (only you usually don't 'feel' it, as you say you did) and sometimes - gravity does its thing to objects that have been leaning for decades and you hear a loud bang. I'm not saying this is what you heard, just it might be a possibility. Experiancing something you can't neatly label right off, can leave you feeling not yourself and "on edge for the rest of the night".
I also suspicion that that large room you described might have been a ward. I would suggest you do some research about the place, and as Rook suggests see if you can get permission to go back (if you decide to).
Also the idea that there wasn't any time for someone to have left the area, think about it. You figure you were back in like 2 minutes right? But add to that the time you were heading away, let's say also 2, that's four minutes someone had to move in the opposite direction, and depending how well they knew the asylum how quickly they could 'disappear'.
Over all, for your first experiance, I'd say not bad at all. But play safe, and if at any time your gut tells you 'bad idea' listen to it and leave things alone.
Zack84 (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Ah the mental hospital. The consummate favorite for paranormal investigations. Some friends and I fell into that fad and had the opportunity to tour the California State Asylum in Stockton around 2003. It was actually California's first (and only at the time) asylum, bult in 1853. The older buildings were being torn down by a major construction company to make way for new facilities which would become a new CSU campus. The tour was fascinating and explained a lot...

Many of the feelings of dread and fear may have come from the environment. Mental hospitals can be very disturbing places in themselves. They're also notorious for extremely high electromagnetic fields which can also cause feelings of fear and dread. Very high EM fields are also capable of draining small batteries such as cameras and cell phones. It's rather well documented around high voltage power lines and with passengers on electric trains. The California Asylum was actually kept mostly powered from its closure in the mid 90s until demolition started, even though it was technically "abandoned" and the electrical fields coming from the old steam tunnels could literally make your hair stand on end. As for the noise you heard. "Abandoned" buildings fall apart. With all the other influences working on you, plus the loud sudden noise... It's something to consider at least.
Lee267 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Rook - Thanks for the advice, as for your questions I was recording on my phone and since then my phone has died a few times so I've pretty much ruled that out as far as the paranormal. As for the bang it's hard to explain but I really don't think an animal could of made it, it was very loud. The homeless person suggestion doesn't really explain it either, we went back there 2 minutes later and nobody was there so I don't think it was that, but who knows could be some other natural explanation.
Denizen (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
I'm not going to repeat the others, but as it has been said that this doesn't really look like being paranormal so far and everything has been circumstantial as its best. What comes to bangs and other such sounds is that you should always try to find out its origin or it's otherwise pretty meaningless like in this case. It could have been anything really.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Hi Lee thank you for sharing.

I'm not a skeptic but I have to admit i'm with Rook on this one.
Entities need energy to manifest and interact. A drained battery is apparently not an uncommon side effect of an experience, but it is something I am yet to witness.
I stay clear from using my phone to record an investigation as this leeches the battery life and may be the case here.

I would suggest if you return firstly follow Rooks advice and get permission and protect yourselves.
Secondly take some recording equipment, a simple Dictaphone can be used for recording possible EVP. Keep your phone for emergencies only.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
Lee,

Saying a Prayer, asking the 'spirits' not to follow you home or visualizing a Shield around you/your group or a combination of these things can help keep a 'spirit' from attaching itself to you when you do an investigation.

Concerning your experiences...

The feeling of someone stepping up behind you... That is Personal for you... Only you can answer 'just what that was'...Nerves? Spirit? Imagination? There really is no way 'someone else' can tell you what that may have been.

Cellphone battery Drain? The skeptic in me says 'First time for everything.' So questions are in order...

Are you 100% sure that your battery was fully charged when you started your investigation?

What were you doing with the cellphone? Using it to film/record what was happening? If so have you ever used it in 'camera mode' for a 'long length' of time before this 'investigation'? (Asked because recording (filming) uses a lot of power from the battery.)

And LAST:

Did you have permission to be on the property? Unless this location does 'ghost hunts' and ensures that the 'ghost hunters' are the only people in the building then it may have been a 'homeless person' wanting to scare you away or being an abandoned building it could have been an animal that knocked something over... There are many natural explanations that have to be eliminated before the Paranormal can be considered.

Thanks for sharing. If you return... Please get permission from WHOMEVER and share your findings with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-04)
brother,
Ghosts can follow a person home and can be very difficult to get rid of if they decide to not to leave. Dont think dabbleing in such things is cool. They can muck up ones life.
Best wishes

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: