You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our House Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Our House Ghost

 

Cebu City in the Philippines has never been a hotbed for ghostly haunting and apparitions. Unlike some areas in the country where myths and stories about strange beings and ghosts are rife, Cebu does not really qualify for a paranormal tours stopover. Having said that, I do know a couple of places around the city that are said to be haunted, one of which is my own parents' house.

I grew up in a house that was built in the late 40s. The original house burned down, along with the surrounding houses, when a conflagration gutted an entire neighbourhood in this part of the city. The house is 2 storeys high, made up of concrete and timber. There were 3 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs. The living room, kitchen and laundry were all located downstairs. There was also a cold and damp basement I rarely go to, mainly because I didn't have any business to be there. Besides, this was never really utilized except as storage for old and broken furniture and fixtures. While never really a hoarder, my mom was wary about throwing things away that could still be repurposed.

While my younger brother was experiencing quite a number of strange occurrences in this house, I never really had my fair share. I would usually dismiss his stories as figments of his active and creative imagination. I never realized that one day things would change for me.

I had my first job when I was 18. It was a summer job. I worked the late shift in one of the popular fast food chains. More often than not, I would get home around 1 am (I was still living with my parents then as I wanted to save some money). I would usually fix a quick bite and watch a bit of TV before hitting the sack.

One time while fixing something to eat, I heard activity in the basement. It was as if things were moved around. I thought it was strange because one, it was too late to do house chores, let alone in a cold and damp basement and two, we have never moved things around in the basement. Things that were no longer used or broken were stacked neatly, each in its own place. So, I decided to investigate. I could still hear movements as I approached the basement door. The noise ceased the moment I switched the lights on. To my surprise, nothing was moved; everything was still nicely stacked up. Needless to say, I was spooked. This eventually became an almost nightly experience. Sometimes I would hear glass bottles smashed against the wall and find nothing upon inspection.

I moved out of the house after graduating from college. After my mom passed away some years later, I decided to move back in to keep my dad company. I was the only bachelor in the family so the duty fell on me. I was working then as a night supervisor for one of the hotels in the city. When I got home during the day, my usual routine was eat and watch TV before going to bed and I would usually end up sleeping on the couch while watching TV. Dad never really bothered to wake me up most of the time because he knew how tired I was.

One time I was woken up by a noise upstairs. I could distinctly hear a tennis ball, or some sort of rubber ball, being bounced on the wooden floor. This went on for some time until I gathered enough courage to go upstairs and investigate. Other than my Dad who now occupies the bedroom downstairs, there was no one else in the house. I didn't find any ball except some of my baseballs and they don't bounce on the floor like tennis balls. I decided to sleep in my room. As I was dozing off, I heard footsteps running along the hallway. I listened hard. The footsteps were that of a small child. I checked the hallway, the rooms and the bathroom and found no one. I went back to my room and heard the same footsteps again.

Apparently, my brother told me, there is a resident child ghost in the house. A boy, around 9 or 10 years old. While I have never really seen him (my brother has on numerous occasions so he told me), I have certainly heard him walk up and down the stairs and run along the hallway upstairs. His footsteps are really distinct - that of a small child. I often wonder who he is and why he is in the house.

Once, while asleep in the couch in the living room after my night shift, I was woken up by a soft tap on my shoulder. I thought it was Dad but when I was finally adjusted to the dim light, I saw no one. I went back to sleep and thought I was probably dreaming. I was woken up the second time feeling the same tap, it was so distinct, no mistaking it for a dream. I was tapped again the third time, fully awake. This spooked me so much that I left the house and continued sleeping at my sister's place.

Another time, we had relatives visiting us for a few days during the holidays. To accommodate everyone, I shared my room with a cousin. The day before Christmas, my cousin opted to stay in bed later than usual. While the rest of us were gathered around the kitchen table exchanging stories, we heard my cousin scream. He then came down running. He told us that while trying to go back to sleep, the TV switched on by itself. He thought it strange but dismissed it and switched it off. The TV went back on again, he switched it off, this time unplugging it completely. He had the fright of his life when it switched on yet again. He would never stay in the room again on his own.

Early last year, Dad decided to install a doorbell. Already hard of hearing because of his age, he couldn't hear if someone knocks at the front door. The bell was unreasonably loud for the reason stated earlier. It was working fine for a few months. Then we started hearing it buzz in the middle of the night, at 2 am to be exact. We initially thought some jokers played prank on us. This went on for several nights. My Dad had had enough and reported the incident to the Homeowners Association. They had security patrol the area and the area adjacent to ours. They found no one. Fed up with the nightly buzzing, Dad literally cut the line connecting the doorbell button to the buzzer. Strangely we were still woken up by the buzzing sound at exactly the same time - 2 am! After the third night of this activity, I removed the doorbell button from our front door and threw it away - it failed to stop the buzzing. It only stopped when I dismantled the actual buzzer.

Just this February, Dad decided it was time for another family photo. We usually have ours professionally done. My brother made an arrangement with a studio and also booked a restaurant for lunch. Lunch was set for 1 in the afternoon. Because not everyone came to the studio on time, the session took longer than expected. It was already way past 1 pm by the time we were done. Not knowing whether we were still coming for lunch, the restaurant manager called the number my brother gave them, it was my father's landline number. A lady apparently answered the call and told the manager to cancel our reservation, which she did. To her surprise, we showed up around half an hour late. My brother was indignant when the restaurant manager told us that our reservation was cancelled. After explaining to us why, she turned literally pale when my brother told her that no one was in the house; that the only two people with keys to the house were myself and my Dad and we were both in the photo shoot. My dad jokingly told her that it was probably mom.

Other hauntings by Marine

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Marine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

PinkChick (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
is there a certain history of your house? I wish to know more. Will be reading more of your stories. Thanks for sharing:D
kristina_marquez (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
Hi Marine,

I'm happy to read your latest story for 2013. I thought you'll never be posting again. I'm still curious where you are located in Cebu (hehehe). More power to you!

Best regards,
Kristina ❤
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
ErrychMyName - SO far they have not done anything to harm us. It's just unnerving to know that some other dimensional beings are sharing your house. The disembodied voices though, I believe, are residual.

Our house is not your typical haunted house, not from the looks on the outside anyway. Just last night, I heard footsteps walking the hallway again. The man (I'm assuming he's a dude) with heavy boots is back!I've been sleeping (with my 1911 in easy reach) in our living room to protect Dad in case our house is broken into. There have been news recently of houses broken into in our neighborhood.

Thanks for reading.
ErrychMyName (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Technically, ghosts are believed to be dimensional. It can be said that these entity in your house are permanent occupiers of your home but as long as they don't hurt you, just try to go along with it. Besides, they are part of this world, they are just trying to do their own thing, the ones thar they do when they were still alive. Nice story! ❤
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Hi geetha50 - the house is still in the market. I hate to see it go but its Dad's.

We tried to do some investigation but a lot of the records were destroyed during the war. Cebu was reduced to rubble when the Americans bombed the city to dislodge the Japanese.

This house was purchased by my parents after they got married in the late 70s. We do know of some deaths in this house but they were of natural causes, nothing violent as far as we know. Other than this, we don't really know much about the history of this house (and of the land where it stands for that matter)
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
I wonder what the new home owners would say about the hauntings!

I have a question for you. You mentioned that there are several ghosts occupying your house and that it was rebuilt after your house and several others were burnt down. By what you said, I think the house might have some history to it. Have you done an investigation into the history of the house? I'm asking because you mentioned that there is a little boy in your house. Could it be a little boy might have died in the house and even possibly on the stairs as you and your family have heard the child on the stairs a lot. Also, with the sound from the basement, you mentioned in your other story that you and your father heard the voice of a man coming from the direction of the basement. Could it be that there is a more "aggressive" man down there? I don't want to say evil because I was there to know what kind of vibes you and your family members were getting.
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
[at] Shady4u. Thanks for the comment. I'm sure mom is at peace. She was a really nice lady, I miss her a lot.

[at] valkricry apparently I am not the only who has heard the smashing glass at night. Dad and my brother have both heard it on different ocassions as well as one of the cousins. I grew up in this house and my paranormal experience is nothing in comparison to that of my brother. I have recently been talking to him about these phenomenon. He told me that some weeks ago he heard whispering as he was going up to his old room. Upon entering his old room, he was enveloped with the sweet smell of a flower we call sampaguita.

Just the other night, while Dad and I were watching TV, we heard activity upstairs. We knew it was the little boy. We just let him play. I guess whatever spirits residing in the house (there's actually more than one that we know - and plenty of harmless shadows or are they?) mean us no harm. After all, we have lived together for many years now. Still I cannot help but get spooked once in a while.

[at] Miracles51031 Thank you for the comment. I will continue to post some of my experiences and those who have experienced something in this house.

The house has been put in the market since August last year. It's just too big for me and Dad and kind of hard and expensive to maintain. So far, no takers. I'd hate to see this house go to another hand but Dad has the last say, after all, this is his house. 😉 😉
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
Hey there! I really liked your story alot, especially the last part 😊. Hope your mom is in peace now and everyone in your family including you are at the best of your health. Thanks.
-Shady
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
I really liked this story. I wonder where the little boy came from? I find the sounds you've heard (smashing bottles/glass) a bit disturbing though.
Like Miracles, I agree with your Dad, maybe your mom did answer the phone.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
Marine - every once in a while a story is submitted that makes me smile and that I truly enjoy reading. Your story is one of those. Thank you so much for submitting it 😊 This definitely goes into my favorites.

I don't have any questions and have just one comment: I agree with your dad 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: