You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Shadow Or The Mailman

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow Or The Mailman

 

I don't really know what to do about what's been going on. I've tried talking to people about this, but they just stare at me like I'm crazy - so, I've brushed it off as coincidences and too much TV. I can't deny it anymore. I don't know what this is, but it's scaring me and I'm honestly afraid that this will escalate to something I can't handle. That I can't ignore.

When I was young, I had an imaginary friend. Everyone did, I'm sure. Didn't you have someone you could rely on to just sit and listen to your everyday problems? I had Mailman. I don't know if that's what I really called him, but Mom always says that when we would eat dinner, there had to be a place for the mailman and I would always ask if the mailman could come with us to the zoo. Mom humored me. Dad discouraged it.

Mom and I were digging through photos a few months ago, ones that were so old they had been snapped with a Polaroid and developed a sepia tint over time. Mom yanked an old photograph that had been wedged in my baby book out of its confines and handed it over to me. She circled with her long, skinny finger the open seat that I was sitting next to.

"That is the mailman," she laughed lightly. "There was a designated chair for him at your tea table, even."

I brushed the picture with my fingers and felt an overwhelming sense of despair wash over me. I wanted that moment back desperately. Needless to say, traveling back through memory lane was cut short and I locked myself up in my room, feigning cramps and teenage hormones.

I had fitful dreams that night. I wrestled my blankets and pillows and when I awoke that next morning I could recall dreaming about a black figure. It, I want to say he, was tall... Almost abnormally so. He brushed the low ceilings in my playroom and was all blocky. A wide, black hat that resembled what the men in the 70's who delivered milk would wear was atop his head. He had no specific features, though.

He was all black. I couldn't see his face, hands, skin, eyes, nothing... It was like a shadow, almost. In the way that you see the outline of that person but not the features.

In the dream the man sat next to me as I poured pretend tea in a plastic, pink cup. The man would pick up the cup and I would watch gleefully as he sipped it and pretended it was much too hot. I rambled happily to the man who remained quiet the whole conversation... The whole dream. I awoke in the middle of the man gesturing for more tea.

I questioned my mom about the incident and she confirmed that, yes that sounded about what would happen during teatime with the mailman. She asked me why I asked, but I just shrugged it off. She was persistent, though. She claimed that I had found that same picture once before and acted weird afterwards, and this time she wanted to know.

"It's nothing, Mom, I just don't remember him - er, it..."

"The last time you did this you were tenish. You kept that picture in your room for weeks and finally fessed up that it was visiting you again. You told me that you woke up in the middle of the night and the mailman was watching you. You said that you knocked something over and when you looked up it was gone. Honey, are you seeing it again?"

"No, Mom," and at that moment, it wasn't a lie.

Two days later, I was painting my toenails for the homecoming dance the next day. The TV was flashing across my face wildly and the overhead light in the fan flickered quickly. I looked up at the fan and outside at the darkening night. Instead of the Bends' backyard, I was met with the dark outline of the mailman. I screeched and nearly fell off my bed from the shock that ran through my body.

"You're real," my voice was a mere whisper.

It just stared. He just stared. He pressed his noseless face to the window and I scrambled up onto the comforter. I crawled slowly across the blanket and was just about to reach the window when a crack of thunder sounded outside and the mailman vanished again.

My dance was short and when I got home that night, heels hurting my feet and shoulders aching from holding them around tall boys' necks, I collapsed in my bed. I didn't have the energy to shake when I spotted the mailman in the window. He had his featureless face cocked to the side.

"What do you want?" I whispered, dress falling to the floor and wrapping myself in my covers.

And I swear, as I cuddled into my blankets and closed my eyes, I could feel (not hear) a voice brushing my mind and saying, "You."

The next time the mailman graced me with his presence was last night. It's been almost a whole month since I had seen him. I was stretched out in my bed and he was at the window again. I rolled over onto my side, facing the window, and sighed, "You're back."

The strange feeling washed over me again, the weird brushing of my mind, and I could hear a deep male voice say, "I want you."

I shook my head and answered quietly, "You can't have me."

I was so strangely calm and, and plain okay with what was happening. He pressed closer to the window, so close to just melting into it, and repeated, "I want you."

"Why?" I retorted, pulling the blankets around me tighter.

"Let me in," he demanded.

I shook my head again and rolled over, my back to it.

Is it going to come back again tonight? What do I do? I'm nearly in tears at the moment typing this. Please, if you have any idea what's happening, let me know. I don't know what to do, but I'm terrified. I'm so afraid it's a demon or something that wants to kill me. I don't even know if it's a ghost. Why am I so calm around it? Why is it that when it leaves, I'm so afraid and scared? What does it want from me? Please help me guys...

--S

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, YellowHipposAdam, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

moondreamer (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
Same story with "It wants to take us". Tsk tsk tsk. Why so? And there is still the "He is the man in black" saying "you" and replying "you can't have me "
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Hahaha ahh I see you have got this one covered as I thought you would have Rook, never missing a beat well done! 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Oh, no! Perhaps she let IT in and something bad happened... 😨

I couldn't help but to think about the series "The Vampire Diaries", in which vampires can not enter a place unless they have been invited in, though it is difficult to explain how the mailman needs to be let in after spending a good long time sharing the O/P's childhood.

I agree, this one is calling for the BS blanket.
Bornparanormal (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
Scary it gave meh shivers like crazy after what I have experienced all my life
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
Rook,
I never knew that about the names no longer being bold if the account was deleted, learn something new all the time! 😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
well, this account was rather similiar to one I've seen on "Celebrity Ghost Stories" -as a matter of fact, the short version also appeared in a "the best of" or "most frieghtening entity's" episode- anyway, that certainly does not dismiss this as a faux.
If anything, the op's reaction to the face pressing up against the screen (turning over to face the wall) does have me wondering. It's human nature to have a flight or fight reaction in situations where one senses harm/fear. I don't buy into the whole "I'm used to spirits/demons bothering me" line, we often see in many posts.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
Val,

In this case the O/P has deleted their account. Their name no longer appears in bold up at the top of their submission.

Now they may have gone away 'hurt' because of the negative comments concerning their truthfulness, I'm sure its happened once or twice, but more than likely once they were 'called out' they simply canceled their membership and went away.

We do our best to ask questions if something doesn't seem to 'add up' in a submission... It gives the O/P a chance to clarify things and possibly get us to understand why they thought the 'experience' was paranormal, sometimes they are able to do so, others are not and BS is called. Having said that, there are still times where the smell of complete BS is over whelming and the Blankie is tossed right off the bat.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
I don't know, Argette. I've noticed quite a few stories around the site where the OP marks will participate in the discussion and it seems they never do, no matter the reception the account gets. There are also some where they post a story, and don't participate on the site at all - no comments nothing.
But, yeah, it does look suspicious.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
It seems that when the BS blanket is thrown, the OP who doesn't comment is admitting guilt. If the story is real, I should think the OP would comment on it, add more explanation. Just my opinion.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
So, in a nutshell, your mom showed you a picture from when you were small & pointed out an empty seat. You touched the picture & felt sad. So you went to bed & had a bad dream. You questioned your mother again, who related things that happened when you were 10, in a line-by-line rundown. 2days later there's a figure outside your window, and you let out a screech but your parents don't come, and instead of running for help, you reach towards the entity. It thunders outside, and he's gone. And you still said nothing to your mother, who was so involved with this ordeal in the beginning of the story? So the next day you come home from the dance, the being appears, and you "collapsed in your bed", but when you see it, your dress "falls to the floor"? How did it fall to the floor if you are laying in bed? Why the heck would your dress come off, and why didn't you scream or "screech" like you did before? You don't try to run? And your response to it talking in your mind is to "quietly say "you can't have me"..."? So you end up just rolling over... And what? Falling asleep? I'm sorry, too much needless detail & description, too many inconsistencies, and extremely unlikely behaviors all point to a serious need for the B.S. Blanket.
_Wraith_ (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-13)
I guess it may be a psychopathic killer who wanted 2 harm U. Just like Jason from Friday the 13th.
AddisonRoseMae57 (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-12)
i don't know, your storie raises a few red flags that it might be fiction. My grandpa was a photographer and any of th eold pictures never turned sepia.
DelzLdy (2 stories) (50 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-12)
Although I hate to throw stones because goodness knows I am not perfect either, this story actually seems too well written for a teenager. [My screen does not say, but from the text I get the impression this would be the age group of the writer.] This story sounds like something from a book/novel. I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Rook.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-12)
Me thinks that the BS Blankie needs deployment as well...

To many details in some places...

"Mom yanked an old photograph that had been wedged in my baby book out of its confines and handed it over to me. She circled with her long, skinny finger the open seat that I was sitting next to."

The fact that he used to have 'tea' with the O/P 'INSIDE' the Home and now he is 'OUTSIDE' the window asking permission to enter (already pointed out).

Some details seem to be purely for 'setting and atmosphere...

"Two days later, I was painting my toenails for the homecoming dance the next day. The TV was flashing across my face wildly and the overhead light in the fan flickered quickly. I looked up at the fan and outside at the darkening night. Instead of the Bends' backyard, I was met with the dark outline of the mailman. I screeched and nearly fell off my bed from the shock that ran through my body.

"You're real," my voice was a mere whisper.

It just stared. He just stared. He pressed his noseless face to the window and I scrambled up onto the comforter. I crawled slowly across the blanket and was just about to reach the window when a crack of thunder sounded outside and the mailman vanished again."

Then the O/P's reaction to seeing this 'person' (entity/spirit) outside their window after the dance just doesn't seem real. We may all react differently but if the parents are home I know where I would have run...

"My dance was short and when I got home that night, heels hurting my feet and shoulders aching from holding them around tall boys' necks,..." (again to many 'details) "I collapsed in my bed. I didn't have the energy to shake when I spotted the mailman in the window. He had his featureless face cocked to the side.

"What do you want?" I whispered, dress falling to the floor and wrapping myself in my covers.

And I swear, as I cuddled into my blankets and closed my eyes, I could feel (not hear) a voice brushing my mind and saying, "You." "

And Lastly...

Homecoming Dance and 'Young Adult' do not seem to 'quite match up 'age wise'... (again a detail already pointed out)

Yea verily me thinks the BS Blankie is well and cast over this STORY.

Puff Bayram

(It wasn't even worth starting the bus for...😲)
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
I think it's time for the blanket. Rook, jpod, where are you?
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Thanks, Argette. Just another thing to make me go, 'Hmmmm".
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Val, I've never seen a Polaroid shot from the 50s or 60s turn color. Usually they fade a bit. But I've never known one to turn sepia.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Question. Just how old was that photograph? I have poloroids dating back as far as 1945 or so that still aren't sepia in color.
Excitementthrills (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
I believe that the shadow figure you are seeing is a demon. I read a story like this and a demon asked to come in and was going to kill the guy. So if I were you I wouldn't listen to him DO NOT LET IT IN!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
So, um, can't help but notice that by your screen name it says "young adult," yet in your story you refer to yourself as a teenager.
Can you clarify this? If a person lies about their age I tend to think their story may just be false as well.
jeys (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
I think you should ignre it, maibe it will leave you alone don't even talk to it.
deliriumdreamsicle (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Your story made me remember my own childhood imaginary friend. He was tall, wore jeans and a matching denim jacket and also had a leather wallet (yeah, I got him figured out to the last detail). The thing is... He didn't seem like a real person. He seemed like a department store mannequin that came alive just for me. And the thing is, his skin cracked when he moved (cheeks would peel off like hard caked paint.) It was weird that I never get scared though. We were friends. There was one point when I wanted so much to bring him lunch where he worked (but of course I was young and I never did). I have vivid and visual "memories" of us talking (not something like a mere memory of childhood imagination). Anyway, your mailman can just be imaginary or he could be real. Of both. Or in a cosmic/metaphysical way, he could be anything you think he is. So don't be scared, instead, scare him away;)
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Please make very sure this is not a real person.

People can wear masks, and I'm pretty sure that if an other-world being wanted to get into your room, they would not have to ask. Take care, just in case.

Peace and safety to you ❤
Argette (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Once again in total agreement with Val. Something is missing. I think that the style of writing you have chosen, YellowHipposAdam, reads like fiction and that will put some readers off. The conversation you report does not feel authentic to me.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-10)
From what you say in your story, if you ignore it, it goes away. You've also given no indication of this... Being wishing you harm. Although, I can understand it being unnerving.
I don't understand why he needs you to let him in, when according to your account he evidently came and went of his own accord before. There's a few inconsitencies that give me pause. For instance you say you were so tired after the dance you collapsed into bed and didn't even have the energy to shake when you saw him. The very next sentence your dress was falling on the floor as you wrapped yourself in covers. So... You were taking your dress off while laying in bed?
Small things... But naggy ones. I feel there's something missing. Can't quite put my finger on it though.
saint786 (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-10)
The being or shadow in this matter has the ability to make you feel calm or afraid or cluesless or possesed. The reason its making you feel calm is because the thing wants to trick you in believing that its calm around it and that you would give in and give it the permission to come in and to have you. Beware! Its a dirty trick the shadow is playing on you. Do not ever give in to it. If it keeps coming, keep rejecting it. Always say no to the shadow. The reason you became afraid and scared when it leaves is because you were your own self again. Put a live rose in a vase in front of the window, trust me. Have faith in God but not towards these demons.
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-10)
To YellowHipposAdam:
I read your story and I feel for you. I have never seen ghosts or dark shadows but I have experienced my mixer turning on by itself on three occasions and lights turning off along with other things. My first thought is that this dark shadow could be an evil entity. If you see it again tell it to go away and please talk to your Mom and disclose everything. You need your family's support to help you deal with your situation. I don't think he wants to kill you because if he did, he would have done it when you were younger and more accepting of his presence. I am a Christian and whenever I hear or see things turn on or off by itself, I pray out loud and I tell it to go away and find peace, I also ask Jesus to send his angels to protect me and my family and to guide this spirit. So if you believe in God, pray out loud. I wish you all the Best.
Adriana.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: