You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Sunshine Bridge Phantom

Real Ghost Stories

Sunshine Bridge Phantom

 

During December of 2004 my brother and I were taking our girlfriend and wife to Nottoway Plantation in Louisiana for the Christmas tour. We finished the tour around 9:30PM and decided to eat at the Restaurant located on the plantation.

We lived on the east bank of the Mississippi River so we had to cross the Sunshine Bridge to get home. I would say that it was probably around 11:45PM - 12:20AM when we approached the bridge on our way home.

We were approximately 1/4 mile from the bridge when what I thought was a bum appeared to be running in the middle of the street in a drunken stupor at the foot of the bridge. My first thought was what kind of loser would be in the middle of the street at that hour at the foot of the bridge. My brother was driving and he had not said a word yet. As we got closer I continued to observe this wanderer and told my brother to be careful not to hit what I believed to be a drunken fool who was now going up the bridge in what appeared to be a drunken stupor. My brother asked me what was this guys problem and was he trying to get himself killed.

As we got even closer, I realized that this was no man. It was a shadow with what appeared to be a cape moving violently in the wind. Right before we got to it on the bridge it stopped, turned around and faced us and we drove right through it. It did not have a face as it was a complete shadow but it was obvious to me from the shadowy cape that, after it had stopped, the cape had rotated from front to back as it was still flowing shadowesque in the wind.

My brother and I were screaming and by that time had woke our women up who were sleeping and called us crazy. To me it was amazing that both of us saw the same thing.

Not sure what we witnessed but it was not normal and kind of had a real uncomfortable aura about it. Anyone else have any similar experiences or ideas what this might have been?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Louisiana1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

SherlockHolmes221b (6 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-09)
One slight piece of advice to you-NEVER go to cross this bridge again. The explanation for the apparition's presence that night is a warning, obviously-- for instance, reanimations manifest within the proximity of their demise. For what this was, it could have very well been exhibiting a stupor, having been full of good cheer, as they call it, and have fallen to its death along the bridge. In fact the ONLY reason I will accept the existence of a reanimate manifestation is as a warning to others.

SH
xthehauntingexpertx (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
well believe it or not I have seen it too because I have to cross the sunshine bridge all the time because I live close to the Gonzales/Donaldsonville area. I see him all the time and more. There are more things out there than you know so please be careful
lostghostgal (69 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-09)
Thanks Val Yes it's help and will look it up to check out. Your Story kind of funny when ya'll screams as your women think ya'll crazy. 😆
Bornparanormal (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Omg that is so creepy made me smile when you drove though it ha
MrMojoRisin93 (1 stories) (17 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Maybe it was The Dark Knight, lol. Interesting story though. 😊
meow3 (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-18)
Wow, neat scary story! That must have been a weird sensation, driving right through it. Have you researched the bridge, as one reader suggested? 😁
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-17)
[at] lostghostgal, It's in Donaldsonville. Does that help?

I liked this story. Especially since you admitted to screaming 😊. Since you both saw it, I think we can rule out most of the 'common' explinations. A very satisfying share.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-17)
😆 I laughed when you said your Brother drove through it, I'm still giggling on the inside. Great experience. Happy both of you saw it! Mahalo - 4d
demonicsheikh (55 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Wow the phantom of the bridge. Lolx why did you ran over it if you thought he was a man?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
bizzjoe: "the foot of the bridge" is either end of a bridge, where the bridge "plants its feet", so to speak 😊
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
what do you mean the "foot of the bridge"?... What part of a bridge is called the foot? Anyway good story...
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
This story gets a 10 on the Creepy Meter. It could be what you saw wasn't linked to the bridge. Something might have happened on the river bank long before the bridge was built.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Lol. I found your story quiet funny actually. Find some history of the bridge. It may be able to help. Thank you for the story and hope to hear more from you.
Girlie ❤
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
I am from louisiana and never heard of sunshine bridge sound interest I need to find that and maybe something there.
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
Thanks for sharing, that is a very creepy story. Glad you and your brother both saw it. I've never seen anything like this myself but if you read some stories on this site - there are lots of similar "beings" who are unexplained. Do you cross the bridge often? It would be interesting if you saw it again. Or perhaps you'd rather not!
paul19 (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
Thats interesting I would sugest reasearching this place "sunshine bridge" and try maybe searching for any stories of a person who lived near there or maybe jumbed off the bridge. Did you see the shadow in the car when you drove through it?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: