You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Thing on a Bridge

Real Ghost Stories

A Thing on a Bridge

 

I live in the rural town of Port Hedland, Western Australia, and this is what happened on my walk. It was two Saturdays ago, on the 12th of August. I was walking alone at about 5:30 in the afternoon. I would normally have been walking my dog Charlie at this time, but she'd had an eye infection that kept her from sleeping and didn't seem up to the exercise.

Port Hedland is a coastal town near the northern end of Australia, and is prone to heavy rain from cyclones. The annual torrents require an extensive system of ditches running through the town to drain water off the roads. There also tends to be a lot of empty land between blocks of houses, massively overgrown with weeds that are only occasionally burned or trimmed away by the council.

I was walking along a narrow concrete bridge when I heard heavy breathing from the ditch below me. First I thought it was a drunk. Then I remembered the time I was jogging through a park (with my dog this time) and realized that I was running straight towards a large feral-looking mongrel dog, who was poking out of the yellow scrub and baring more and more teeth as I approached. We forget how close we are to nature.

I hurried along the bridge and looked under it after retreating to a respectful distance. There was nothing there. More relaxed and curious now, I walked back onto the bridge to ponder the origin of the sound. It promptly resumed. This time I boldly leaned over the railing and looked right under the bridge. Again I saw nothing more suspicious than empty faded beer cans. I straightened up, and stinking hot breath blew in my ear.

It was fear that I felt. Pure fear. Using some fancier word could only cheapen the experience. I fell back, facing the source of the breath. There was nothing I could see, but the heavy panting continued, and I was well familiar with that rotten-flesh smell unique to the breath of a dog on a bloody diet.

Before I'd even realized I should be getting up there was sudden invisible pressure on my chest. I expected paws, but did not quite feel them. Even now I can't quite discern the shape of the force that held me, whether I was restrained by paws, claws, hands or a flat slate.

Vicious howling erupted in front of me. Thoughts of the dog filled my mind, until I couldn't even see where I really was. That killer mongrel peeking his nose out of the bush, coolly deciding how close he would allow me to come before he lunged. Unable to think straight, I imagined that this was what was supposed to have happened, that I had fluked my way out of some cosmic debt and now the collector was knocking. Then it was gone. I didn't move for some time.

I wanted to go back there. It took me four days to get the nerve to actually do it, but I knew I wanted to go back. I thought about it for a while and decided everything needed to be the same. I arrived at the bridge at 5:30 the next Wednesday, walked to the centre, and waited. After minutes of nothing I realized what had drawn the thing to me. I began to picture the dog once more, remembered the lip pulling back and the stained points behind. As nothing continued to happen I realized what was different from the first time. The memory no longer scared me.

I've thought about this, and realized a few things. The first time I crossed the bridge something - not a ghost in usual terms, I have no reason to believe it was ever human - created the breathing sound that I was free to ignore or interpret however I wished. It was only after I returned that the breath resembled a dog's. I think the thing offered me a chance to show it what I feared, and I did. I can think of two reasons why it acted as it did. Perhaps it wanted to help me exorcise my demons, so to speak, or in some way it wanted my fear for its own reasons.

We forget how close we are to nature, but maybe some pat of nature needs us a little closer.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tom Coates, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Rosee (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-24)
Hi Tom,
I have just joined this site.
But having spent so much time living in remote areas around Australia and getting to know Traditional Aboriginal People, Cultures and Beliefs, I have a suggestion.
There is a Facebook Group called Indigenous Ghost Stories and it's Australian.
If you were to put your experience on that Page, you may just find something more, or another meaning for what happened to you.
Don't ever think that because someone isn't an Australian Aboriginal that nothing related to the Aboriginal Culture can't happen to you.
At Nhulunbuy/Gove I heard a Corroboree that wasn't there. The next day, began telling what happened to me to an Elder, who stopped me and finished off my story perfectly himself; and then told me it was the Ancestors welcoming me to their Land. Amazing.
You've got nothing to lose Tom! Good luck xox
firey-redhead (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-31)
very interesting story... Made me wonder though... Maybe there was an entity there and like you said it gave you a chance to show what your fears were once you had heard the noise in your ear. I wonder if someone else was to go the bridge would they have a dog or would it be something else... I'm moving to Port Headland next year to work so maybe I should go check it out and see what happens... Thanks for the story! Love hearing about the supernatural in Aus. It's not as common here compared to any other contry.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
Good summation, KimSouthO. It is refreshing when I read a story that the author has the problem and the solution all in the same story. That does not happen often enough on here. Maybe it is because most of us still do not have the answers, maybe the problem causes more questions for all. But anyway... Thank you, Tom, for teaching us a lesson in this one.
Cersed240 (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-06)
Very well put. It takes a lot to confront something that you can't define.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-09)
How terrifying! I admire you for returning to the bridge and facing yur own so called'demons'.

It is often said that the evil entities require fear as the energy used for them to manifest and strengthen themselves. I believe in that you are correctt.

When you returned, there was no fear to feed on.

Hopefully, this will not happen to another unsusoecting passer-by.

God Bless!
poltergeistfan (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-28)
That was really deep, and I do believe what you heard and felt was indeed a dog
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
-1
17 years ago (2007-08-25)
Thanks for the story! I believe it was a dog, but the dog was with you when you ran into that mean living one. I beleieve the ghost dog wanted to help you escape that fear because it really shouldn't be a fear.Wow!Seems like a dog is talking to me just in english0.oAnywho,I hope this helps!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: