You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Unexplainable Heavy Breathing In The Countryside

Real Ghost Stories

Unexplainable Heavy Breathing In The Countryside

 

Unexplained Breathing Sounds

Date: 2013-03-27

I was looking online about people hearing heavy breathing when there appears to be nobody there. From reading most of your stories I see a lot of similar accounts. My story is slightly different and I have only experienced this once in my life so far, and it happened about 4-5 years ago.

Me, my brother and two friends were camping in the forest not far from my house, about 2 miles roughly. We stay in Central Scotland, in a village not far from Loch Lomond. We had a fire and were sitting by it most of the night having a drink and occasionally going down to the river to check the fishing rods. It was about early to mid-October and there was a really bright full moon high in the sky with no clouds to be seen.

It's was getting late or early as the case may have been so we decided to go for a walk up to this hill we had passed ealier which had a bench on top of it over looking an open meadow which the river we were fishing from meanders around. So we marched along the path, up the hill and sat gazing into the nights sky, along the treeline on the horizon and down onto the grass filled meadows which hugged a path that followed alongside the river.

We sat for a few minutes, smoked a few cigarettes while we talked and laughed. We were all just about to get up and leave but as we stood to collect our beers and check we hadn't dropped anything I noticed heavy breathing that sounded like somebody had just been for a run. Before I could even say anything my brother asked us all to ssshhh. The breathing was so heavy and direct that I started to wonder if somebody was watching us. I told everybody to hold there breath in case it was one of us. But the breathing continued.

By this point everybody can hear the breathing but we were still half drunk and laughed it off thinking that maybe people were out for a romantic midnight stroll and the four of us had just stumbled up unaware of something steamy going on in the bushes.

One of our friends even jokingly started trying to get a response by calling out, "Oi, no doggin round here folks!" But no response whatsoever; just the heavy breathing, which we could all pin point to an edge of waist high grass 10ft in front of us. We started to wonder if it could be an animal but no animal I know could breath that heavily without us seeing it or grass moving from its movement.

Then I got goosebumps running across my whole body. I said to everybody, "I just got a real case of goosebumps there guys," which all of them worryingly laughed and said they did too.

Pretty much straight after that the breathing got louder and it felt like we were looking directly at it and it was looking straight back at us. By this point were all pretty damn scared to say the least! So me and my brother broke two branches off a nearby tree and decided to move towards the breathing. Both my friends are really starting to freak out and trying to convince me and my brother to come back to the camp. We still to this day don't know what the hell was going through our heads. More than likely just curiosity but I'm pretty sure something happened to a cat that had too much of the stuff.

Anyway as we approached the breathing it stopped. We stood at the edge of the waist high grass and looked down the hill onto the moonlight filled meadow. It was really bright for about 1 o clock in the morning and we could see all the way down to the river. More importantly, there wasn't anybody or anything about. Then the breathing starts up again but this time it's about 15ft down the hill just about the start of the meadow. Me and my brother look at each other and can see that both of us want to find out what's causing this breathing. So we march down the grassy hill, clubs in hand, to try and at least catch a glimpse of whatever is causing the noise. As we approach the bottom of the hill the breathing stops again. Me and my brother are pretty much back to back by now waiting for anything. Then the breathing starts up again further into the meadow.

Now, bearing in mind that it's a full moon, we could see across the whole meadow of grass and into the woods that are on the other side of the river. We never saw anything move or see the thick waist high grass move. AT ALL! We never even heard any kind of movement. You would at least of thought you would hear the grass being brushed passed but nothing! So while wondering what the hell it could be we continue into the grass. We can hear the breathing really clear and we can tell were gettin close to it as it's getting slightly louder. But as we come to a small clearing with clumps of grass about knee height and an old worn down barbwire fence the breathing stops again. This time for a good minute or two. Our friends who are still stood at the top of the hill must have been scared out their minds and were calling down to us to come back. As my brother tells them to hush up, all of a sudden the breathing starts up but this time really loud and deep like it's touching shoulders with us so much so that we both started to shout and swing the branches around like a couple of scared cavemen.

This must of had some effect as the breathing stopped but then started seconds later further away from us towards the river and sounded like it was continuing to move towards the river. There was a clear patch where the path was that followed the river so, if indeed, there was something that we couldn't see somehow managing to hide in the grass and not move the grass in any way, then we would see it break from cover to cross the path. So we ran after it. As we got close to the edge of grass we stopped to see if we could hear the breathing and sure enough, it's making it's way towards the river. But as we get to the path NOTHING! The breathing has stopped and not one of us seen anything cross the path. So we start to look back into the grassy meadow to see if we can see any movement. We were just in the process of shouting up to our friends if they seen anything move or break from cover, when all of a sudden the breathing starts back up. We turn round and whatever it is, is now on the other side of the river. The breathing felt so unsettling like it was staring right at us! Like it knew we were aware of it, probably not in the best of moods after just having two madmen swinging sticks chasing it! But at that moment when we realised it had somehow managed to cross a good 10ft clearing without any of us seeing it or hearing it, and not only that but crossed a river which must be 20ft across without us seeing it or hearing a single splash or drop of water something didn't feel right! Me and my brother both ran along the path as fast as we could completely terrified. When we got back to our friends we were all getting our arses the hell out of there but as we started marching back down the hill the breathing was right back where it started at the top of the hill!

I still, to this day, get goosebumps when I think about that night. It has forever changed my outlook on the way we look at this amazing world we live in. I used to laugh at the ideas of ghosts and to a certain degree I still do. I am, however, open minded and don't think for a second that science has the answer to everything (at least not yet anyway) but to say for certain what it was would be impossible. All I know is it was not an animal or a human. Could it be a spirit? Possibly. Perhaps there is more to this world than what we can see and touch. But that does not mean that ghosts or spirits is the only option. Parallel universes, different dimensions etc. Heck, let's not even forget the fact that some people believe that extra terrestrial life had visited our planet or is even here now. No more out there than the belief of angels, demons, spirits etc. In fact, some say the testimony of encounters with angels and demons is possible extra terrestrial encounters? Maybe there could be more living creatures that science has trouble identifying. In a different spectrum that we are used to seeing in? Who knows!

I am not a religious person, spiritual yes but not religious. Perhaps were tapping into something that just isn't in our understanding yet. Hopefully one day something will shed light on this phenomena.

If anybody has an info, comments, or would like to know more, then please message away.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dobz35713666, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
Hi Dobz
Great account. You had my hair standing on end a couple of times there. Whatever it was it sure wasn't anything that we could explain. You and your brother are either mental or brave or both!
Loved the frightened cavemen part. Laughed out aloud in the office there then lied about why I was laughing...
I live in Paisley, not too far from Loch Lomond. Where abouts was this and what village was nearby? Just curious...
This one has already gone into my favourites!
Best account I have read on here for a while.

Gargoyle
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
i was really glad to see this story on here because something simuler happened to me just two days ago (wed the 24th) except on a much smaller scale... So I was resting on my bed, lying on my right hand side, just resting my eyes, when suddenly I could hear this brisk type breathing, as if after a light jog... Then I thought to myself, that's not me... I was breathing at less then half the speed... Then I held my breath to make sure, & the breathing continued... It was as if it was just under my pillow or under the bed... I didn't move because I thought if I lift my head it would disappear, & there was no point in looking because nothing was there... So I just listened amazed... It only lasted about 15 seconds & then it just faded away... I thought it was a sign that my elderly uncle had died, but no... He's still alive... Its a weird experience to hear something else breathing in your room when you are the only one there... But it was kind of cool I must say... & no, the Tv wasn't on...
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Oh, I just read it on some of the other posts. Seems that some people believe that alcohol and drugs can kind of expose you to that sort of thing. IDK. Maybe the way that some of the Native Americans believed in peyote or something.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
scarlettsnowe - what exactly does your question mean? Because the way you presented it, it could mean a couple of different things.

Are you wondering if alcohol can make you more likely to experiencing something paranormal? Being under the influence of anything, alcohol, drugs, etc is probably the worst condition to be in to experience something paranormal. You have no way of knowing whether or not it truly, honestly was paranormal or just the wind blowing.

No alcohol. How many ghost hunters on TV do you see drinking? 😐 I realize TV ghost hunters is not a very good example for a lot of situations, but I like it for this one 😊
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Could alcohol open someone up to those kinds of experiences?
meow3 (23 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Wow, I can't imagine what that could have been? Since it kept moving from one place to another without being seen or causing any movement in the grass, it couldn't have been anything human, or an animal. I don't blame you for being curious and chasing after it, although I don't know if I'd have been that brave. I suppose maybe I would have if, like you, I had someone with me. Anyway, this was definitely one of the most interesting stories I've read on here!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-22)
Dobz, and let's not forget - how can one 'debunk' something as paranormal if one doesn't investigate it? 😐 😊
Dobz35713666 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Well all I can say is look up what animals sound like a human heavily breathing. I'm relatively clued up with animal calls and sounds. Insects (can) make various sounds but none that I'm aware of that sounds like human breathing! Then there's the various birds that make a wide range of sounds and calls. Yet again none that I'm aware of that sound like somebody heavily breathing. You can look up bird calls on various websites. Without a doubt we experienced something that we can't really understand. And to answer why we decided to keep looking seems pretty stupid now that I look back on it. But how many times in your life do you actually question what you think you know? If something completely unique or paranormal was to happen to you surely its almost "fate" as much as I hate that word. I look at it as right place, right time. Think of the events that lead you up to that exact moment. How could we not of been curious!? If you had encountered an extra-terrestrial would you not try to at least record some evidence of your encounter or at least get a glimps for your own satisfaction. Even if you couldn't proof it gettin close to something that conventional science tells you doesn't exist would completely change your outlook on a lot of things and subjects! Even though if you did come across such a thing is more than likely to be harmful to your well-being rather than good for it!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Dobz - ahhhh... After a night's sleep and my first cup of coffee, I found it 😊

Here is the story that reminded me of yours. Thought you might find it an interesting read.

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=17333
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Dobz - the only thing I can think of is something didn't want you where you were and was making sure you left. There is another story on here that reminds me of this one. Unfortunately my mind is mush right now and I can't think of the title 😆 (my bedtime LOL). He was camping with his dog, if any of our other members recall the story I'm thinking of and can help me out.

Anyway, that's my theory, for what it's worth. Thanks for submitting it as a story, as Rook suggested.
SerSpuddTheDemonKnight (1 stories) (8 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Something like this happened to me when I was about 12 or 13 only I was with my nephew who is 2 years younger than i. And it was in the middle of a town of about 350 people that I grew up in. If I remember right we were looking for a lost pet when we started hearing heavy breathing. Well everytime we located it it would move... We decided to split up and look for it and at one point I swear I heard it so close to me its breath had touched the back of my neck... At the same time my nephew yelled at me from the end of the ally way as I turned around... He say it was some kind of demon cat like a panther almost... All I know is it moved silent and so swift that by the time I turned to face it it had vanished
Mothertrinity (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Maybe the past and the present collided on such a beautiful night and this sound from the past was also chasing your sound from the present doing the same thing you were doing by investigating it's source... Something to think about.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Hi Dobz,
Wonderfully written and detailed story! I could see the beauty of the scene described very clearly in my mind's eye. I am not religious either, and think there is a lot out there that science cannot yet explain - things in which time & history collide, and yup, even other dimensions and realities. One thing I was thinking, when you mentioned being able to see the river, was that there is something called sound matrixing, in which the sound of rushing or trickling water can be processed by the mind as other sounds- your mind wants to make sense of what its hearing, so you begin to hear words, or I wonder if it could possibly (?) sound like breathing. But, that theory kind of fell apart, when it was definitely coming from different areas... Unless it was the wind carrying the sound, somehow? It's a far stretch... Seems to me you may have run into something strange that night. 😨 Anyway, this was a wonderful & chilling tale! Going into faves 😁 Thank you for sharing & best wishes to you!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Completely puzzling situation, but I have to say bravo to you guys for checking things out. I would love to say, "oh it was just a 'X'" but I can't think of anything it could have been. Thanks for sharing.
demonicsheikh (55 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Many animals make noises. Some sounds like crying. Others are different.
But maybe you were trespassing in someones territory.
crf1997 (2 stories) (44 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
You and your brother are very brave people! I could never investigate that terrifying thing! I can just imagine that thing breathing non stop loud and heavy, lol. This is a very interesting story though, and I have no idea what it could be. Probably a ghost that wanted to cause mischief! 😆
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Hi Dobz,
I knew I had read this story before and it had me a bit confused. A little sluething gave me the answer - you had posted this in the comments section of another story "Unexplained Breathing Sounds". I'm glad you decided to post it on it's own
First - very strange tale. My first instinct was 'bear' - but even a cub would have caused the grass to move in its wake.
Heavy breathing insects? Very doubtful on that. Perhaps a Nature spirit?
serenitylopez (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
You and your brother are mental!
This sounds absolutely terrifying. The first thing I thought was that maybe somebody was following you and watching from a distance but as the story continued it became clear that it was not the case.
To me it sounds like whatever it was wanted you to follow it. Lord knows what you would have encountered... So creepy.

Really interesting read 😁
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
Dear Dobz,
Welcome to YGS.
First of all, your username is too long 😜

Second;this story is going into my favourites list. Thank you so much for sharing.

I have to admit that you two are really courageous to have continued investigations like that. Most people I know, including myself, would have most probably 'Bolted', if you get my drift.
And if it is not a bird, or an arboreal animal or an insect, I am out of my depth here.
As an afterthought,couldn't it be an insect? I have had a similar experience.

Do reply...

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: