You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunted Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted Hotel

 

In April last year I got a job as a hotel receptionist in a town not far from where I live. I started as extra and now I've worked my way up to being a full-time night receptionist. We are only 2 who share the shifts all the time, so that means we always work alone. The hotel itself is practically just a big tower, with a total of 111 rooms. Part of the job is to go rounds; make sure everything is locked and secure, that everything is in it's place etc.

The back office of the reception is surrounded by frosted glass walls. Behind the glass wall on the right side is a corridor that leads to the elevators and nothing else, which means you see when a guest is arriving from their rooms. Well, you see their shadow to be more exact.

One evening I was working alone and I saw a shadow approaching from the elevators. I got up and walked to the front desk, ready to help the guest. I stood there for a moment, wondering where the guest went. I knew he/she didn't take the elevator back up since you hear the doors closing and the elevator moving. I walked behind the corner and looked out in the corridor. No one was there. I even walked up to the elevators to check if it had gone back up without me hearing but both of them stood with their doors open on the entrance floor. This spooked me a bit but I tried not to think too much about it. The rest of the night went on without anything more happening.

After that both me and the other girl, Louise who works the other nights, see the shadows regularly, but now we've learned which shadow is which. The spirit/spirits shadow appears to be more "smudgy" around the edges, while the guests is solid.

Also, when you work nights you have to go a conference round. The conference is located in another building, where you have to go through a big mall to get to it. That mall is kind of freaky, almost every time you pass through it you feel like you're being watched. Against the walls of the mall is huge plants in pots, and just a few weeks ago Louise saw a solid person stand behind one of those flowers and look at her. She didn't think too much about it since we have guards coming and going throughout the night. But when she passed the flower and the person was still there standing, still just watching her; she approached it. The person stepped around the flower out of her sight and vanished. There is no way it could've been a real person, there is nowhere to hide and everything is locked. Louise searched the mall but the person was nowhere to be seen.

I have never experienced anything in the mall itself, but in the conference hall (which also is a very scary place) things happen quite often.

When you have passed through the mall you reach a stair, which leads up to a locked door. Behind the door is a long corridor, with locked conference rooms on the right side. If you continue through the corridor it turns left, where there is chairs and a table, and then to your left there is more conference rooms. The first conference room is the biggest one, and during your rounds you have to open each room to see if no window is open and that everything is in place.

One night I went in to the biggest room, and suddenly I felt the urge to snap a few pictures in there. I took my phone, snapped a few shots with nothing in them and prepared to lock up and leave. I turned the lights off, and through the camera lens of my phone I saw someone standing in the middle of the room (it was not pitch black, the light from the emergency exit was on). I saw it so clearly: a head, shoulders and legs. I gasped and turned the lights back on, but the room was empty. I started to freak out and quickly locked the room and planned to leave when I started to hear noises coming from around the corner of the corridor, by the chairs. I froze and listened. It sounded like someone stomping around, dragging their feet behind them. And at the same time, like a lot of paper being shredded.

Note that I knew that the place was empty; I had already taken the round and no one was there except me, and no one could get in either.

I listened a while at the sound, while I was absolutely frozen in fear. I felt that whatever it was, it was not someone or something nice. I remember thinking that I should NOT go around the corner. Instead I backed out of the corridor, locked up the hall and ran back to the front desk. I can't remember ever being so scared like I was that night, every sound made me jump.

The morning came and I decided to spend the night in one of the rooms since I was too tired to drive home. I always lock the room when I'm sleeping during the day, so no one can get in, not even the cleaning ladies. There is only one key that can open the doors when they're locked from the inside and that is the skeleton key that is located in the back office, and we just use it during an emergency. Anyway, I'm sure I locked the door because I double checked it 3-4 times before I went to bed. But when I woke up, the door was unlocked. That's when I decided to go home.

After that night I've only seen shadows behind the glass wall from time to time, but never anything big. I feel like I should do something though, try to contact whatever is there but I'm not sure how. Any help would be much appreciated!

Other hauntings by Melime

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Melime, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-31)
[at] 4d [at] troyarn [at] aimen

Thank you so much! I will try to take more pictures to see if I capture anything. I actually haven't worked nightshifts in a while now, now it's dayshifts. But yesterday when I was in the conference I heard the sound of shredding papers again. I was alone, all the conferences was over. It wasn't as scary as before though! Next time I will try to talk to them and say that I mean no harm and that I have to be there ๐Ÿ˜ณ
aimen (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Very well written story, must be appreciated... In my opinion you must investigate further about the shadow you see, it was a good idea to take, try taking more pictures or try recording any voices but keeping yourself up to the safe limit... I will suggest you say prayers before doing any thing just to be on the safe side... Wishes...:)
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Great story, Melime, and very well-written! I have to say that I'm still a little freaked out reading your experience and hope things quiet down there. I have to agree with WishfulNull concerning just talking out loud to them as you go about your duties. It can't hurt and perhaps they might find comfort in you acknowledging their presence. Thanks so much for sharing this with us and let us know what else happens. Now time to put this in my favorites!
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
melime,

Great experiences! You are very brave to stick around to listen to those freaky noises ๐Ÿ˜†

Mahalo - 4d
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
Thank you all guys for your comments!

[at] WishfulNull: Thanks a lot! ๐Ÿ˜ณ I don't really know why I felt the need to do it, I guess I felt that I wasn't alone! Thanks for the advice, will do that next time!

[at] valkricry & beingtrish: I'm sorry I don't have the photos left: (The only ones I took where the ones that came up with nothing, and I deleted them since they where empty. I only saw the spirit through the phone but I never pressed the button to take a photo, I got so scared I just ran out before I could do it! Wish I had!

[at] crf1997: The name is Quality, there are several but I can't say in which city since I'm not allowed to talk about this:/ Me and Loise have talked about contacting mediums or ghosthunters actually:) Thanks!

[at] HappySpirit: I tried to do some research but I came up with nothing, so I have no idea what might have happened there earlier... I'm going to try harder though!

[at] SmokenMirrors: Thanks a lot! Yeah that's a good idea, I'm actually looking for some equipment that I can bring ^^ If I ever encounter something more I'll write another story!
beingtrish (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
wow what a scary hotel! And great story by the way. Could you please post / share the picture for us, if you still have it. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-22)
nothing like a spooky hotel. Great story Melime.
If your going to call out to it I would suggest taking some sort of voice recording equipment and see what you pick up. You may get a reply. ๐Ÿ˜‰
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
I love haunted hotel stories (and yes, the Shining is a favorite of mine.) Do you know the background of the building or the site upon which the hotel was built? Were there ever murders, war or other violence taking place in the area in centuries past?
crf1997 (2 stories) (44 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
This reminds me of The Shining! Lol ๐Ÿ˜† If you don't mind me asking, what's the name of this hotel? I'm curious to know. ๐Ÿ˜Š But anyways, this story is very interesting and I'm glad you shared. If you want to contact the spirit, call a medium or even ghost hunters. I'm sure they'd be happy to come investigate a haunted hotel! I wouldn't do a ouija board at the hotel, haha, everyone says there so harmful! But I've never had any bad experiences with them, or even know anyone with bad experiences with them. Good luck! (I'd be scared to go back to work) ๐Ÿ˜ณ
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Melime,
Do you perchance still have those pictures, and could you post them for us?
I think talking out loud as you enter an 'empty' room, might help some. I always call out 'hello?' Yes, you might feel a bit 'crazy' or foolish at first, but it does seem to help. You might just state that you don't mean any harm, just there to do your job.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
This gave me the chills! ๐Ÿ˜จ a well-written story, and going into my faves โค am afraid I don't have advice as far as how to go about contacting the spirit... I was just wondering why you felt the need to do this? If it is just to let it know you wish it no harm (even though the energy in the conference room doesn't sound very friendly, it may have just been offended at you taking pictures, and maybe it was trying to scare you away from it's "territory"?) You could just try speaking out loud to it while in the room... Just say that you are sorry for the pictures, and you don't mean it any harm, and that you are just doing your job by checking the rooms, and you will have to be doing that to earn a living, but if it will leave you alone, then you will do your best to not disturb it either. Perhaps you can come to a kind of truce or understanding, so that you don't feel so threatened? I don't know if these beings or energies will always listen to reason, but it's maybe a good place to start... Of course, I am no expert! Perhaps some of the other more experienced posters will have advice for you as well! Good luck, and best wishes to you! ๐Ÿ˜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: