You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Experiences At My Aunt's

Real Ghost Stories

Experiences At My Aunt's

 

In August 1983, my then husband, 2 year old son and I went to visit my Aunt for a week. My Aunt and Uncle lived on a large farm in a tiny town named Cold Springs, Kentucky. The nearest actual town is Alexandria, the nearest neighbor is a good 10 miles down the Pike. Their house was fairly modern, a one story ranch style, with an apartment built into the back for my Uncle's dad, who lived with them until he passed away in 1980, I believe. It was a stark contrast to the ancient barns and sheds on the property. I think they had the house built in the 70's to replace the old farm house, but I could be wrong. It might have been the 60's. The land had been in my Uncle's family for generations.

Anyway, we were staying in the apartment, and by mutual agreement we did not tell my husband that my Uncle's dad had actually passed away in the bed we were sharing. He was just too 'spooked' by such things. Because country folk tend to be very early risers, they naturally retire early too, so it wasn't long before just my Aunt and I were up, catching up on family news and gossip.

After a while our talk turned to the paranormal over a game of Scrabble. Lord, how that woman loved to play Scrabble (that's important for later). Anyway, she casually mentioned that my mom believed that I could see such things. I thought 'here it comes', because my Dad often referred to my Aunt as a 'Bible-thumping Baptist', and I was ready for a lecture in my father's vein of how this meant I was 'Satan's spawn'. I should have known better. If anyone loved me unconditionally it was my Aunt. I was mildly surprised when she said, "Believe me or not - odd things happen around here." She went on to tell me, that on occasion the door knocker would rap on it's own. Almost on cue, we heard it do the 'shave-and-a-haircut' rap. My head swung towards the door, and she said, "you can look, but nobody will be there." Of course I looked. I think my Aunt was actually hoping I could debunk it. But the knocker is behind a heavy storm door, which was latched. The only way it could be used is for that door to be opened first, and the knocker itself is HEAVY. No wind or vibration could lift it, and certainly not with that 'rhythm'. I shrugged my shoulders, "Well, you certainly didn't imagine that."

She went on to tell me that sometimes the door-knocker acted as a warning. Once she was awakened from a sound sleep by it to find that a burner on the electric stove had been left on, and the kitchen curtain had blown onto it and caught fire! Another time, they were roused to find strange men attempting to break into the barn. I told her that obviously the door-knocker was a good thing then, and she should be happy they were being protected.

She then proceeded to tell me about other experiences they had in the house. One that impressed me most was one morning she and my Uncle both heard the sound of a freight train coming through the kitchen. Now there are no tracks anywhere near their place. Not even old abandon ones, and this sound terrified my Aunt. My Uncle worked in Indiana as a boiler maker, and had to cross several tracks and my Aunt begged him to be extra careful, that maybe he should even stay home that day. But, he is an extreme non-believer and said that all they heard was 'strange thunder or something' (although the sound did repeat a total of 3 times before he left, each one louder along with that lonesome whistle blowing freights do) and off he went. Just as he was approaching a set of tracks over the Indiana/Kentucky boarder his truck died, and would not restart. Several cars went around him, as he got out and opened the hood. Suddenly a whistle blew and a freight came flying down around a bend in the tracks! The gate and signal failed to work or sound. Fortunately the tracks were clear at that moment. Failing to find anything wrong, my Uncle got back in and gave the truck one more try. It started right up.

Lastly, they had what she called the whistler on their property. This is one I also experienced. Plain as day, we heard the sound of a tin penny whistle around the house. The warm up of scales would be heard first, then an old tune would be played. Although vaguely familiar I could not identify it. We could not track down where it came from. It would move around. Sometimes it sounded like it was out by the barn, sometimes like it was in the back or front of the house. We heard this every morning at grey time, and in the evening shortly after twilight. My Uncle claimed it was a barn owl. Really? I've never heard an owl hoot a melody.

One morning, I was up before anyone else, and I had decided to stroll the property around the house. Early morn in the country is unlike anything you experience in the city, and I dearly missed it, so I was absorbing it in. It was a misty morn, and the dew looked like diamonds scattered about. I plucked a blade of grass and whistled with it. Softly I heard a few notes blown back. I turned towards the sound. There, sitting on the top railing of the sow's pen sat a small boy. Maybe 6 or 7 years old, plainly dressed, though I did notice he was wearing knickers. "Hello," I said softly wondering where he had come from. He smiled at me and was gone. Poof. I told my Aunt about it, and she nodded a bit sadly, "Had a feeling it was a child," was all she said about it.

Maybe 3 or 4 days after returning home, my Aunt called me and asked if I had any 'visitors' as she didn't hear the whistler anymore.

Flash forwards to 1987: both my mother and Aunt had passed. Mom in 1986, and my Aunt in 1987. I was straightening out my closet and came across the Scrabble game. I don't know why, but I took it to the table and opened it up, laying out the contents. I thought about how my Mom and Aunt both loved Scrabble and that they were probably playing endless rounds of it, now that they were together. I smiled at the thought. My daughter toddles up to me, and I lift her, saying how much they would have loved her and would have spoiled her rotten. Those familiar with Scrabble know you use 7 tiles at a time, drawn from a face down pile. I flipped over 7, just to see what word/words I might have been able to make. I kid you not - the letters I drew, in order were L,O,V,E,Y,O,U.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-30)
Love it! ❤️ Thank you for sharing these experiences! Hope to read more stories from you. As in, MOOOORE! 😊
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-31)
Val, I followed another comment to your story and it's wonderful. Thank you. Did your Aunt have any idea who the little boy might have been? I also wonder who was insistent about warning your Uncle. I can't just imagine them trying and trying until they finally had to kill the truck engine to get their point across. It seems like you're very psychic; did your daughter also inherit it? It runs all through my family, but especially the women.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2017-10-31)
Cups, thank you so much for reading and commenting. I hope you are having a wonderful Halloween.
Cups (7 stories) (159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-31)
Val, your stories are riveting! Needless to say I am getting very little done on this Halloween day... Your accounts have me absolutely captivated. This is a wonderful, heart-warming story. Thank you! ❤
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-08-30)
Thanks, Rach.
The experiences at my Aunt's were interesting to say the least, and when I think back on them, I too smile.
Rachness (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-30)
Aww, reading this made me smile. Thank you so much for sharing.

I hope you're well.

Rach ❤
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-26)
Dear MissJoy,
Thank you for reading and commenting on my account. 😳 I write things as to the best of my memory. I won't lie and say I've never had an encounter that scared me half to death, but by and large, they have been 'good' experiences. Maybe it is just the way I perceive things as you say, I'm not sure.
MissJoy (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-26)
Whew...that's such a sweet story. I've read a total of 3 of your stories, and each struck a chord with me; touching my heart indefinitely. I've noticed that the comments left by others in regards to your stories are usually of the same nature. I think this is simply due to the way you perceive said events, thus the way you translate them into words. Many others would have probably gone for the creep factor route, trying to evoke fear and suspense; forcing the reader to feel a certain emotion. You however, view these encounters differently entirely, and it brings such a serene aspect to the cliche ghost story. I applaud your positive outlook on life and the after life, for that matter.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-09-26)
Charpam,
Thank you for reading and commenting. My mother and aunt have been missing from my life for nearly 30 years now. But every now and then, I think they drop by.
charpam893 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-09-26)
This is a lovely story! 😊 Makes a change from all the scary evil stories I have read so far!
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
your most welcome valikcry. I understand why you treasure it so. I would as well if it were myself in that situation and time. ❤
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
Thank you, Taurus. Not all my experiences can be wrapped up as tidy as this one. But I treasure it deeply.
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
valkicry, This story had me feeling as though it was me experiencing all of it. You tell your story well. What an amazingly sweet ending to all of your memories.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Hi Val, Very true some posts must be very hard to follow for people whose first language isn't English.
In answer to your question I am from Birmingham.
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Hi Valkricry - your comment about signs not being always "in your face" made me think deeply. Thanks for that. It makes me want to "read behind the lines" so to say.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Everything, according to my uncle is either coincidence, a trick of some sort, or imagination. He told me once,"I might not be able to explain the what or why of something, but then I'm not all that school smart."
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Val, thank you once more for an amazing narration. You have had some weird and wonderful experiences - and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

The train that your aunt and uncle heard must have been pretty scary... But the way your uncle's truck stopped just before the tracks, made my blood freeze. Did he think it was just coincidence?

Your scrabble experience left tears in my eyes... Zzsgranny has taught me that there is no such thing as coincidence!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Smoken, sometimes the difference in languages can be quite funny. I can only imagine how difficult it is for someone whose native toungue isn't English to follow us at times, when those of English speaking countries are sometimes confused!😊 By the way, may I ask which part of the UK are you from? (Those lost: I used 'knickers' the term for boys short pants fastening roughly 1 to 2 inches below the knees, popular in the late 1800s. Smoken thought I meant 'knickers'...ummm lady's 'bloomers' 😲!)
Thank you, Delzlady. I agree with you, hummingbirds could well be your father's 'calling card'. 😊 We have a poster on here, Fergie, and for her white bird feathers are a sign from her daughter. Her story is called Angel's White Feathers (http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=17303). WARNING: have tissues ready if you go read it.
Signs are around us, we just need to be open to seeing them.
DelzLdy (2 stories) (50 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Valkricry - What a sweet story, and you are wonderful at telling it. I felt as if I were almost there myself.

For quite some time after my own Dad passed in 1996, I would receive gifts from people having to do with hummingbirds. You see, my Dad loved hummingbirds and used to sit in the dining room for hours looking out and watching them feed from the feeders he had all around the patio. But, the people who gave me the gifts didn't know this. So, whenever I see a hummingbird or receive one of these little gifts, I know it's my Dad visiting. Even tho it's been 17 years, I still miss him.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Shame you never saw the whistler again. Had to have a giggle at your description of him though. "I did notice he was wearing knickers".
I had to look up the American meaning of the word. In the UK boys men should not be wearing knickers. (although some do.) 😲
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-22)
Dear Marine,
Thank you for the lovely compliment. Signs are not always 'in your face', you know. You mother may not have materialized to you, but that does not mean she has not sent you a sign that she is still looking over you. Signs can be very simple and subtle. It may not make sense to anyone else, but to you it will say 'Mom'. You may have already had signs, but shrugged them off as 'coincidence', or nothing special. Reflect on that a moment and see if anything comes to mind. But know this, sign or not it is obvious that your mother loves you very much.
~Val
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-22)
WOW! I always love your stories valkricry. My mom passed away years ago, 2006 to be exact. I have always been wanting to see her again or at least hear from her. One of my sisters claimed to have seen her once... How I envy her!

Thank you for sharing this story. God Bless!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-22)
Morning, Smoken! No, the whistler was never heard or seen again, that I know of. I still talk to my Uncle now and then, but since such things bother him, I don't ask. Besides he and the new wife moved from there some time ago.
Argette, phsycicmama, and swimsinfire; thank you for reading and commenting 😊
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-22)
Great story Val. Did you ever hear see the whistler again?

I feel left out now though, been a city dweller I've never experienced early morning in the country. 😢
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-22)
Amazing story! Val, charming and well told. I love the boy with the whistle. Just what we needed at the end of this week.
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
I absolutely loved your story. I walked right with you on that dewy morning - I miss it too! I think it's so fantastic that you actually got to see the little boy! And then of course, the message from your mom and aunt...perfect. Completely sweet.

Thanks for sharing your story!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Wow. Wow. Wow. That was sweet. Wow. It's something about Kentucky. And the country. Relatives are awesome are't they?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Thank you all for your comments.
Saille, this is where I feel I have been blessed, I have had far more positive then negative encounters with the paranormal. I believe it is because there is more good in people then there is evil, and a spirit is only a person's essence. That is not saying the bad doesn't exist. Just I believe there is more good than bad. I will tell you, that I have had the wits scared out of me a time or two! Lol
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Wow, this is really a sweet story. And somehow reassuring, that you'll see eachother again.
Isolde
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
This was just a phenomenal story (sniff, sniff)...for once, I don't have any words. 😉 ❤ 😭

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: