You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Experience With A Demon When My Grandad Died

Real Ghost Stories

Experience With A Demon When My Grandad Died

 

I was about 7 years old living in Worcester (western cape). My Grandad had just passed away and for some reason my mum refused to sleep in any of the bedrooms. We were house sitting that evening!

My mum told me that we should sleep next to the fireplace in the lounge cause it was cold, with the fire on and not safe if I must add. My mum said to me to sleep behind her as it's not safe for me to face the fireplace so I faced the my grandfather's bedroom.

After a while my mum and I fell asleep and I was woken up by some weird feeling, and when I opened my eyes I saw a tall figure with a long black hooded coat. As I try to scream, it lifted its head and opened his mouth and I could only see red while he opened his mouth. I was sooo afraid.

I eventually woke my mum to tell her and she said to me, "I know, just turn around and close your eyes and it won't bother you!" I was so terrified, but I think she was more terrified than me.

What could that have been? I can still see it fresh in my mind as if it happened yesterday. Something that I will never forget. My mum never wants to talk about it... She is 60 years old this year.

I was told that my Grandfather's house were build on a graveyard. The day he died all his animals he kept went wild and crazy! He had 2 or 3 dogs, geese, chickens, 2 pigs and mind you, they all were kept on the same spot in the backyard which was closed off and they all got along like a happy family, but the day my Granddad died the went ballistic... A strange wind started blowing for 30 seconds or so... All his animals died a week later... Don't know why.

Other hauntings by StormJM

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StormJM, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Szaffi (37 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
This is creepy... One guess: is there any "being" in the local culture / folclore that is similar to the one you saw? I mean pre-Christian. The "angel of death" is a concept related more to white people, but I don't know about the folclore of South Africa. As you are living there, may be should ask alround on this line also. That being has had a purpose to appear there in that form.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-26)
Scary experience! I think your mother knew more than she let on. I would try and find more about the house and the day or grandfather died.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Isolde (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
dead = died

Isolde

P.S. Scolding herself for not better checking her comments before publishing (=50)
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
Very scary experience. Yes, but oh I feel so sorry for those poor animals. Have a picture in my head now how they slowly dead of neglect.
Isolde
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-25)
Hello StormJM, I agree with Rook, mamachong, Redwolf about the animals part. But, as regards the figure you saw, I wonder why even after so many years, when you are young adult, your mother is refusing to speak about it to you. You should try to find out more about it like speaking to others in the family. When your grandfather passed on, definitely there might have been some others, who would have been with you on that night. Without that, I find it difficult to comment on it.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Bornparanormal (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Has your mother seen this ghost before is that why she was soo calm around it? This story I believe I got the shivers when I read it though. I believe you may have a demond on your hands
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
I agree with Rook, you have to think about the care the animals got after grandads death. It is impossible for different species to all die from the same disease not to mention so close together. The only thing would be neglect to feed and water properly which is a crime.
Of course animals may die of heartbreak but it would take longer and only the dogs and pigs would have been affected by this.
Here in New York there is a saying that a woman will die within 7 years of their husbands. Which I found to be true when I visited my grandparents graves and looked at head stones. Of course there are exceptions. My father in-law died 20 years ago but my mother in-law is still alive. I also noticed that if the wife died first the husband lived quite a few years after. 😆
I have no explanation as far as the apparition you saw or why your mother said what she said. Nor do I understand why she refuses to talk to you about it to this day.
StormJM (2 stories) (2 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
thank you for the comments. I was rather sad that the animals died, but I think Rook is right no one took care of them when my Grandad died... I will speak so someone else other than my mother as she doesn't like to speak about that night.
Thanks again for the comments

Regards
StomJM
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
I agree with Rook, the family could have been too distraught to attend to the animals. But I have a 10 year old chihuahua who refuses to eat when me and my husband is away from him. We let the dog spend the night with a friend. The friend reported that the dog stayed by the door all night and didn't eat. So, that could be a possibility.

As for the entity, your mom seemed to have known about it. Mabie that's why she refused to sleep in the rooms.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-23)
Our Loved Ones and Pets can be so close to us that 'heartbreak' may cause them to 'pass early'. There are many stories of Couples Married for 50 plus years and when one passes away, the surviving partner passes with-in a month or so.

As far as you Grandfathers animals go... The first thing that must be ruled out is 'care'. Who was caring for them after he passed? Were they getting the right amount of food and water? The Natural Causes must be ruled out first before 'Heartbreak OR the Paranormal' can be considered.

The figure you saw...I'm not sure of African Folklore... Is there an Entity that 'collects' the spirit/soul of the recently deceased? There is a chance this is what you saw. Unless it was a nightmare, but it seems your Mother was expecting 'something' to happen. Perhaps an 'Elder' can help explain just what you saw... Or confirm you had a nightmare.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: