You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost At The Cemetery Part 1

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost At The Cemetery Part 1

 

I had never seen or had anything paranormal until this happened to me. Growing up as a kid I believed, or was made to believe, that nothing evil (a ghost or spirit) could scare me if I wore this medallion of St. Michael the Archangel on it. But as time passed on I lost my interest in religion (being a teenager then) and along with it went the medal.

Coming to the story, this happened in the early 90s. If anyone was from Chennai in India I guess they would know this cemetery called St. Mary's Cemetery. It was summer the month of May and I was on vacation. It was about 11:00 in the night that my dad's friend came over and knocked on the front door. My dad opened the door and the guy was sweating horribly. He came in sat down and told dad that one of their friend's sister had committed suicide and his other friend had called him, so my dad got ready to leave.

I was 17 then, the youngest. My brother, who was elder, was working then; my sister was younger and mom was a homemaker. Mom insisted that my dad and his messenger friend take my elder brother along, but for some reason or the other he refused to go. He was lazy and he had a hard day at work so maybe he felt tired. I told dad I would go along. First he said no but then later gave in.

Anyhow, we reached his friend's house where the suicide had taken place and by that time there was nothing there other than his friend his mother and few relatives. The body of the lady had been taken for a postmortem. Anyone living in India would know the procedure and police investigation that go into it if someone commits a suicide.

We stayed there that night, just sitting out in the yard. The next day with all the confusion as to when the body would be handed over to the relatives, and when the police go ahead to perform the last rites was to be given, it only ended late that night at about 1:00. So now my dad's friend asked dad if he could go to the cemetery and ask the grave diggers to start digging the grave so we could have an early funeral because 2 days had already passed. People from India would know that at that time there were no morgues in India, the only ones were government.

So dad, his messenger friend, and me headed to the cemetery. It was quite far off and we were three on bicycles. It was quite lonely and we were riding at same pace with each other. We reached the cemetery and got down from the cycles. My dad walked over to the gate and kept calling out in Tamil. There was no response so we decided to go in.

Now to explain about this cemetery is quite easy. It just has a mud road running with graves in rows on either side. We looked near the gate from the inside. First there was no sight of anyone. My dad's friend said that most of these guys get drunk so the must be asleep inside. Dad said okay. His friend waited near the gate while we both wen int on our cycles because it seemed long way right down. I, being a cynic and brave, started venturing deeper, although my dad kept shouting at me. Soon he caught up and I told him I had seen a man lying down by one of the graves in the rows of graves deep inside. I decided to go and wake him up, so I got down and started walking. Now we all were alone in different places. When I reached the grave where I had seen the man, I was astounded to find no one there. I just came walking to where my dad was as fast as possible. I was very sure I seen someone that too on a full moon night when visibility was good.

When I came to where my dad was, I told him no one was there now. I was facing him and now he was facing where the row of graves were. All of sudden he just said, "Let's get out of here." We never pursued to find the grave digger and we were heading out. I felt this cold breeze over me the whole time until we reached the gate and a loud bang like noise of something crashing down. My dad heard it and his friend too. We got out and went home.

The next morning at about daybreak, the man whose sister had died and the other messenger friend went and informed the grave digger about the funeral and to get things ready. At the funeral, for which I had been I was intrigued to know what I had seen near the grave whether it was some plants or some cloth or something that I mistook for a person I never found anything, but what I found out was the grave near where I had seen the man was marked three days ago. So then I told dad maybe some coincidence so I urged him to take a look. He came over and to his surprise it was one of his very own cousins. After enquiring from the graveyard digger, dad found out that he was killed when the wall he was sleeping beneath collapsed and fell on him.

While walking out of the cemetery after the funeral, dad told me that when I came to him and said nothing was there that night, he seen a shadow near the same grave. That's when he said, "Let's get out."

Whether it was dad's cousin trying to tell us he was buried there or the bang which indicated the wall collapsing, Whatever I felt and seen that day was true, for I know what I saw.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elvisrockin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

elvisrockin (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-25)
I m just waiting to continue the second story of this cemetery and another cemetery but as for now the submit page is closed.
elvisrockin (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
SDS: Your exactly right the cemetery in Mandaveli Mylapore behind p.s school and yes there are paranormal sightings in that cemetery I always get a creepy feeling when I go to cemeteries during noon time as well.
elvisrockin (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
Firstly I m Happy my experience got published on the site and now.
Mamachong: In India most grave diggers are dead drunk after dark if you know what I mean.

Redwolf Ash and sds:Actually my Father was not informed because this cousin of his worked outside chennai and had not been in touch with my dad for quite some time. And the last rites were done as soon as the body was transported to chennai because of time no one wanted to keep the dead for a long time in India because we don't have funeral parlours and morgues here other than the ones in the hospitals that to only the munncipal hospital. Now of course things have changed. So that's why maybe no one informed my dad that's what he said because the last rites were done quickly. I guess it was his grandfather s grave or something so resting him here in chennai was preferred. If someone was from India they would know how hard it was to get msg s across in the late 80 s and early 90 s I remember when my grand father expired we got the msg by telegram. How things have changed.
ASH4321 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Hey

Interesting story I always think graveyards are creepy, I am also confused about why your dad was not told about his cousin.

Ash 😕
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Dear elvisrockin, that was an interesting story and thanks for sharing. You are a brave person. I am from Chennai and I know St. Mary's cemetery. It is in Mylapore just behind P.S. Senior Secondary School, if I am not mistaken. There are quite a few paranormal sightings made in that cemetery.

But I have the same question for you RedWolf has asked, why your dad was not informed about his cousin's untimely demise.

Mamachong, here in India, the gravediggers, even now, get drunk and won't be available just after dusk. Hard to find them and they sleep after getting drunk.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-28)
Interesting story. I'm glad you went with your father for support. I wonder though why nobody told your father that his cousin died.
Regards
Red
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-28)
Very intriguing story. I wonder though, did any one ask the grave digger why he was no where in sight or to be found?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: