You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Little Girl In The Dining Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Little Girl In The Dining Room

 

This happened late last year sometime in November if I remember correctly. I'm a college student dealing with generalized anxiety disorder and my medicine supposed to be taken in the morning. Due to my paranoia of taking my medicine when my family is around, I set my alarms for five in the morning every morning, that way I know I'm the only one up.

So, one morning I had just woken up and went downstairs to take my medicine and grab my morning water bottle as I usually do. Being that I had just woken up I was still a little drowsy but for the most part fully conscious and aware of my everything around me. The stairs to the second floor are in the kitchen but face the back wall, so I can't really see much of the main floor as I go down the stairs. If you turn right like you were swinging around the railing, at the bottom of the stairs there's the kitchen, a little hall the the right connecting to the living room, another room past that hall which leads to the garage, and then the entrance to the dining room which would be straight ahead.

So I turned at the bottom of the stairs, and as I walked to the counter to grab a cup for water to take my medicine with I caught a quick glimpse of the dining room entrance. There are only two lights in the kitchen that are usually on when I'm down there in the morning and that's a small lamp by the stairs and a nightlight that's plugging into the outlet by where my medicine is on the counter. Aside from those lights the rest of the first floor is almost pitch black. My eyes are used to adjusting to the darkness, but my being near sighted makes it hard to see things even when my eyes adjust. What I saw for that brief moment looked like a little girl standing in front of the dining room window.

My mom loves dolls and used to collect them when we lived back in Jersey, and she has them everywhere in the house so at first I didn't think anything of it. I took my medicine and then made my way to the room that led to the garage because that room has the other fridge where we keep the water bottles. Again, as I walked to the room I looked into the dining room and saw the little girl standing there. Since the room I was going to was closer to the dining room I had a slightly better view of the little girl and I could see one of the small chairs that my mom usually has a doll sitting on next to her. Again, I didn't think anything of it and moved on.

As I was getting a water bottle out of the fridge I got this feeling. It was kind of like a sudden shock, or like when you start to fall asleep at your desk and quickly wake up after blacking out for a second. The only thing that popped into my head was, "what happened to the doll that was on the chair?" Like I said earlier in the post, my mom usually has a doll sitting on that chair and I knew the doll was there a few days ago. I don't know why that was the first thing that came to mind though, my mom always switches things up so it's not odd for her to leave the chair there without the doll. I guess I was just used to seeing it there so not seeing it might have thrown me off, either that or I knew the little girl wasn't supposed to be there but I didn't want to acknowledge it. Either way, when that thought popped into my head so did the image of what I saw both times I looked into the dining room that morning. At that point I remembered seeing the little girl and I started shaking. I honestly didn't know what to do.

Part of me wanted to make a run for the stairs but I was too scared of this little girl chasing after me. I've seen way too many ghost shows and horror movies to know that there are things you should do and things you shouldn't do, and running to me seemed like something I definitely shouldn't do. I was literally just standing in front of the fridge holding the water bottle I had gotten out and just thinking of half of the ghost hunting shows that I like, trying to figure out how I was going to leave the room because I knew I'd have to go by the entrance to the dining room to go back to the stairs. Even when it was happening I didn't know whether what I was seeing was real or just me hallucinating because of it being so early in the morning, but I wasn't going to take any chances. I stepped back out into the kitchen and turned to face the dining room. The girl was still there. She was dressed almost like one of the smaller dolls my mom has, in this old styled frilly dark pink dress, black shoes, long dark curly hair with a black headband or ribbon, and it looked like she had no eyes. It was completely dark where her eyes should've been, and she was sort of glowing almost like someone used a white balance or something.

For about a minute or so I just stood there staring at this little girl, acknowledging her and trying to force a smile and trying not to shake. The same thought kept running through my mind, "Don't let her know you're afraid. Just smile and nod and back away slowly." As I started to back away I gained enough courage to slowly turn around and start walking to the stairs. I figured she wasn't going to chase me or anything since she hadn't moved when I started backing away. When I was about halfway to the stairs, I paused for a moment to look back and see if she was still there and that's when I panicked. Right when I did that I saw this little girl start floating towards me quickly. I wanted to kick the part of me that was telling me to speed walk instead of run when I turned back to the stairs to make my way back to my room. The whole way to the stairs I could feel this thing behind me and it was freaking me out.

When I started up the stairs, I could see it floating through the kitchen out of the corner of my eye and that's when I bolted for my room. When I got in my room I closed my door as quickly as I could and I could still feel this thing coming. It was almost like I could tell where it was just from the feeling, and once it got to the other end of the hall by my parents' room it was gone. The feeling of her following me was gone and I was relieved but scared that whatever that little girl was, whether she was a ghost or a hallucination, she could still be out there and I waited until I heard either my parents or my older brother leave their rooms before I left mine.

If she was a ghost, I'd say she was trying to get my attention and let me know that she was there. Every morning it's become a habit to look in the dining room and give a little nod just in case. I haven't seen her since then, but I'm never going to forget that morning.

Other hauntings by CuriousKitten

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CuriousKitten, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LittleBunnyNeko (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
Thats creepy, though I don't think she was going to hurt you at least. I would have thought she was a doll at first too (Since my Grandmother collects them as well)
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
CuriousKitten: Thanks for answering my question. I'm really interested in your story. Please update us if anything else happens.
CuriousKitten (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Thank you so much for your comment, Seraphina. I love to write so I was putting more focus on trying not to make my experience sound too much like a story which was harder to do than I thought. I guess I'm just so used to using my writing voice while typing up just about everything.

And to answer some of the questions:

ASH4321, the mirror is a wall mirror that's probably somewhere around the size of a poster, rectangular with some detailing in the wood frame at the top and bottom that makes kind of a round edge that comes to a point. The glass is relatively clean but there's this stain or smudge of some sort that's been on there for as long as I can remember. My mom has tried cleaning it but we could never remove the stains or whatever they are.

And as for the books, Narella, I know a good portion of them are old hardcover books. I think they're mainly novels and classics. My mom also has some bigger boxes made to look like books as well, and most of the actual books are on shelves in the top cabinet of the old desk we have in the far corner of the dining room by one of the front windows.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
CuriousKitten, you did a wonderful job of writing your story. I can tell you spent time thinking about the details and organizing your thoughts before you started.
ASH4321 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Hey

Very interesting comment and story I personnel would freak out if I sore what you sore. What does the mirror actually like it is it big, round you know that kind of thing. Just a side note those dolls give me the hibijibi
I use to have some but got rid of them.

Ash 😁
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
This was very interesting. I think a lot of us have had experiences where our bodies are telling us to run, but our minds are telling us to play it cool. I'm curious about the books you mentioned. Are any of them something a child might have been fond of, like a storybook?
CuriousKitten (2 stories) (3 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-28)
I'm glad to know that my response to that situation wasn't a complete wrong move. Granted, I'm still a little nervous about what to do if I see her again, but I haven't really had many other experiences with her.

Zzsgranny, thank you for the link, it was definitely interesting reading that and think of how I responded. Also, to answer your questions, my family and I have lived in Virginia for about five years now and most of the experiences seem to happen to me. There are only three that my parents and I shared. Once was after my parents had gotten back from a shopping trip and I was telling my mom about hearing a door in the house slam shut while I was home alone and when I was telling her that my dad asked my mom who she was talking to because he heard a door shut upstairs and thought it was me when I was right behind my mom. He and I both checked out the second floor and I told him about what happened to me and we both couldn't figure it out. The other two occurrences happened to my mom and I two separate times, the first time we were both on separate floors and we both heard knocking when no one else was on that floor, the second time was a week ago when she and I were in the kitchen and we heard a light knocking that sounded to me like it was coming from the upper deck.

Speaking of my mom, her dolls are mainly dolls that she ordered off of QVC or from catalogs. She really isn't one for buying antique dolls, but she does like getting antique books and using them as stands for just about everything, including some of her smaller dolls. One of my theories though is more focused on a mirror that's over the dresser in the dining room, we've had it since I was little and probably before I was born. I don't really know much about it but every time I'm in there I just get this feeling like the mirror has something to do with my experiences or at least the experiences in general.

I've heard voices and seen things out of the corner of my eyes for years, so attempting to acknowledge things rather than brush them off completely is typically one of my first responses no matter how freaked out I am. But whenever I see that mirror I get the feeling that something is going to happen but nothing ever does, but when I get that feeling I also get this feeling like the mirror itself is watching me. I'm not sure what to think of that...wow, this turned into a long response, I think I'll this comment here before it turns into a novel. It's also getting relatively late here and it's the last two weeks of the Spring semester so school will probably be keeping me away from the computer, so if I don't respond automatically it's safe to assume finals have drained me for the most part. Goodnight, I hope to see more comments soon.
FRAWIN (24 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-28)
CuriousKitten- Please don't think that I was implying that you reacted wrongly- I wasn't saying that at all, what I meant was that the reaction you gave wasn't[in my humble opinion] the reaction the girl was hoping for. As Granny pointed out there is no right or wrong reaction to the paranormal. Everyone reacts differently and one should do what their "spidey senses" tells them to do. If it says "Run Dude" then run. Again I apologize if my first comment came across the wrong way 😊

FRAWIN 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-04-28)
CuriousKitten: Don't worry too much about your reaction. Even very seasoned, so-called professionals have the built in "fight-or-flight" instinct 😊. I think you reacted better than most of us would've 😆.

I have a few questions. How long has your family lived at this location, and have you (or anyone) had any other experiences?

Also, does your Mom's doll collection consist of mostly newer dolls, or does she have some antiques or ones that she's purchased from previous owners? I just have the feeling that if this is a new phenomenon in your home, it has something to do with the dolls. Perhaps the little girl is drawn to them?

Oh yeah, here's a pretty cool link:
Http://paranormal.about.com/od/ghostsandhauntings/a/8-Things-To-Do-If-You-See-A-Ghost.htm
FRAWIN (24 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-28)
CuriousKitten, I believe that you did see a little girl in your dining room and because of your reaction - you "got off on the wrong foot". I think she was only wanting acknowledgment- she got acknowledgment but also scared the hell out of you which she didn't want. I believe that the only reason she followed you to your room but not into your room was to show you she could but also to show you she didn't want to scare you.

FRAWIN 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: