You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Tinkling Noises

Real Ghost Stories

Tinkling Noises

 

I have recently heard tinkling of anklets before my sleep and after I wake up. I am from Thane. I heard similar noises for the first time at my friends house when I was at Pune in the last summer vacation, It was the first time I heard them. Afterwards I have only heard them last night. This does sound like a dream but it is true and I need your help.

When I heard them first time it was like I was with my friend talking in her room and I heard soft tinkling. I asked her if she had any anklets but she said no. We searched for the source of the noise but it was just echoing (I can't find the right word for it) through the room. Then we consulted her parents (and mine too) whether they were watching any movie but they were just talking. We asked them whether they heard the noise but they didn't. My friend believed me. She said to ignore them.

Second time when I heard them I was in my room studying. And I heard them again. I firstly ignored them but they grew louder and louder then faster. I suppose someone was running wearing the anklets. Then I finally asked my parents what was this about but they didn't believe me. They said that I am mad and get to my work. But I am damn sure that I heard them.

Please I need your solutions to solve these problems. It is endless trouble to me and my family is thinking that I am going mad. What should I do to stop them. What should I do to reach to the source of them. Because I am an atheist and there are some incidents which made me believe that god (and ghost) does exist.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Amit-Joshi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-07)
Dear sds,
Its totally a mistake on my part. I should remember what I post.
Now I understood that you responded to my comment where I exclaimed:
"Yey!Somebody read my story! Thanks Val! So here continues..."

So here goes... Thank you sds for reading and appreciating. Means a lot to me, esp for encouragement.
I must thank rook and WishfulNull also for the same.
I am grateful.

Regards
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-07)
Dear Val and Ari, I meant the same thing. Just when Ari stopped it in suspense and he replied later. And the conversations you guys had, that was what I meant. Interesting.

But as far as this story is concerned, the O/P just kept quiet and didn't even respond. Strange.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Dear Val,
Why might it need an emphasis that the first part was read right after you?I'll ask sds.

(Oh-ever-so-understanding-Val!

Thank you for being so accommodating towards the O/P,giving him the benefit of doubt. You kind hearted mother goose you!)

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Ok, I know it's been a week with no sign of the OP, but since he is a teenager, it's possible that school is keeping him hopping. Didn't Meghani mention something about exams? Maybe it's the same for him. Let's face it - education must come before YGS. Then too, it could be Internet problems or a myrad of things. *shrugs*
Amit-Joshi, why would your parents think you are going mad because you asked about a sound twice? SDS brings up a valid point. Have you heard it more than the two times you mentioned? Has no one else heard the sound? May I suggest recording it? It could be as Tuesdey suggests, a cat with bells on its collar. Or like the cricket Ari mentions. Or even Tennnitus as Rook thought. (This would explain the multiple locations - after all where ever you go - odds are you have your ears with you.) These are all possibilities. It could even be a neighbors' windchime. Truth is we just don't have enough to go on.
At Ari- ummm I do believe that SDS means the first half of your story.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Dear sds,
Thank you, but now I have lost you in translation (or it might be due to the fact that I am galactically stupid)!

Which 1st post of mine are you talking about?

Regards
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Haha, I agree Ari, the O/P does not seem to respond. But quite an interesting conversation between you and Val. I just enjoyed it. And I want to say something, I also read your first post, of course, just after Val did.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Dear sds,
That is a very valid point you might have made, but alas!
The O/P doesn't seem interested in responding.

There is another possibility. Whatever he wrote and consequently what you understood from the story, might be something totally different. Since Mr.Joshi's 1st language is not English,there's always a chance that whatever we construe from this story has been lost in translation.

I hope I haven't got you lost in translation with my gibberish.

Regards
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Dear Val,
Ah tut tut!
Of course I shall post a condensed version and also refer to the posts that might get deleted. So your replies would always make sense in retrospect.

How 'bout that?

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
I wouldn't, Ari, because then my comments would look nonsensical and quite mad! 😆
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Dear Amit-Joshi, I am a bit confused. You said in the last paragraph that your family thinks that you are going mad and that this is an endless trouble to you. But in the first paragraph you said that you heard them for the first time when you were on vacation at Pune last Summer and heard them again only last night. That means you did not hear the sound of the anklets for over a year now. Then how come your parents might brand you that you are going mad. You only narrated twice, once when you were with your friend and the second time when you were in your study.

If what you say in the first paragraph is true, then you might have heard it only twice that too in a span of a year. Then I think there should be a rational explanation to it rather than paranormal. I do not think it has got anything to do with paranormal or spirits.

I feel this way but other experienced posters like Rook or Val should throw more light to it. But, I request you Amit, please clarify my doubts.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Dear rook & Val,
Thank you guys for encouraging me, and you, my dears, are getting me hopes high 😁
So,I think I should request the mods to delete my narration off this page,shouldn't I,before I do the submission?

Regards

PS-I am reading your story rook... Thanks for the link
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Ari,

One of mine (Glass Ouija Board)

http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=12314

Was submitted, not because something paranormal happened, but because it didn't. So don't be afraid to submit it, you never know what may happen.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Ari, I don't think it would hurt to submit it. Many of us are here not to just read 'ghost stories', but to learn and share too. If it won't fit, you'll get an email telling you why. You could give it a title like..."Solving the Anklet wearing Ghost Mystery" or something like that.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Dear Val,
I am not sure that they would publish this because this story has nothing supernatural in it. It is almost like myth busting,in'it?
You think they might publish? Should I ask the mods for an opinion or just submit it?Wouldn't it be disappointing for readers who visit to read ghost stories?

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-05)
Ari, I am not so sure YGS would not publish that story. Is it not the lesson of not jumping to the conclusion of 'GHOST!' in action?
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-04)
Dear Val,
Yeah!Imagine that, can you!

If I would not have been persistent with the investigations...ahem...I would have been reduced to a scaredy cat... Which I am not (WAAAAaaah! 😨 what was that! Oh! Just the curtain!😳).

Thank you for liking it. I know I couldn't have got it published on YGS because it is totally normal,ain't it!

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
Hey, Ari!
Just saw your anklet story in the comments, and I enjoyed it very much! Jiminy! A cricket, imagine that!
black_brain (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
hearing sounds out of nothing is not considered good. Try to find out what it really is and where it is coming from. You can also have some pictures of God you believe in and follow the source of the sound. If you can find out, tell us about that experience too and the rest of the story.

Regards
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Dear WishfulNull,
No worries about that mate.Don't apologise for no fault of yours.
And I think you really have a hidden agenda. You are out to spoil me, aren't you! Pampering me like that!Imagine! 😜
(whispers) Thank you for the praises buddy... Means a lot to me.

Regards
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Aargh! Every story I try to vote up, is suddenly going down instead! Ok, I'm getting offline now, before I crash the whole system! Ari, I owe you 2 karma points... ❤
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
[at] Ari, hahaa, that was awesome - loved your story! So perhaps there is a species of cricket in India, that has adapted to make the very same sound as the anklets... I wonder how many people have fallen victim, and think they are hearing a ghost walking around! Excellent sleuthing, on your part! Ps - you really do write very well... I was on the edge of my seat! 😆
Mazhar-786 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Well, I experienced the same. I was alone in the room of my big brother reading a book and I heard sound of tinkling anklets right outside the window, normally, no one goes in that area. Also, the curtains were open but I couldn't see anyone nearby. I got so scared that I ran directly into my room locking the door. But the sound was not moving, it was if anybody (or thing) was intentionally trying to get my attention. As per your story, I think the bhootni was just trying to let you know that she was present. Just chant some holy verses loudly and the noise would end.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Yey!Somebody read my story! Thanks Val! So here continues...

As I aggressed towards the intruder (ess),I discovered that the tinkling sound was coming from the direction of a certain bush. Now mind you, it had already grown dark all around and sunlight had been wiped out. Helped by whatever light was streaming out through our living room windows, I cautiously tiptoed towards the bush keeping my eyes fixed on it. The anklets were still sounding!
My heart was racing now. I was just about ready to see something, anything supernatural, and all those traditional stories and legends that I heard about anklet wearing otherworldly dames made matters much worse.
When I found myself close enough, yet safely far enough by my own measures, I strained my eyes to find out what could 'it' be and where exactly on, in or beside the bush was 'it'.Didn't see anything, still was hearing 'it'!
Somehow,I managed to flash the torchlight, still held in my hands, at the bush in a desperate last attempt.That's when I saw it.
I did not immediately realise what I was seeing, as the sound had stopped immediately as I had shone the light. I didn't want to turn off the flashlight, and as I had grown more curious, I cupped the flashlight letting only a faint glow out, filtered through my fingers. As soon as I did that, the sound recurred. This time I removed my cupped fingers quickly and the focus was directly on the bush. And I found my anklet wearing maiden!
This time when the light fell on the bush, the sound took a little more than a second more to stop. As if someone wearing the anklet took a step, stopped and retraced that step. For that fraction of a second I had kept my eyes peeled on the suspect whom I had seen in the bush, and it really turned out to be the culprit.

A CRICKET. A cricket no bigger than my thumb was sitting on one of the branches of the bush. It was still rubbing its hindlegs when I quickly shone the light. That rubbing was creating the anklet wearing ghost. The clear and perfect sound of anklets started resonating again as soon as I switched the flashlight off. I turn the light on, or walk closer, it stops. I move away and turn away the light, somebody again walks wearing anklets.Huh~!
Heaving a sigh of relief, hanging my head in shame, I returned to my unfinished business.
Another lesson learnt, outside the books.

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Ari,
Thanks for telling me what a bhootni is 😊. Did you find out what was making the anklet sound?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Amit,

There is a medical condition called Tinnitus... A beeping/ringing...some sort of noise that happens 'in the ear'.

Here's a link...

Http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365

So the 'tinkling' sound of anklets may be due to a 'natural cause'. Better 'safe than sorry'.

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Dear Amit-Joshi,
Welcome to YGS.
Thanks for sharing and deeming us worthy of seeking help.

I have personally had this experience a few years ago.
It was a the end of summer and monsoon was approaching. I was alone in my home and I was busy with my textbooks in our living room sitting on the couch comfortably. It was cooler than usual and I had no need to put the ceiling fan on. The TV was not on. Our house is also far away from the hustle and bustle of the main roads, in the interiors, inside a private secluded colony.So,everything was on the quiet side. I was engrossed in my work.
Suddenly,my ears picked up a faint sound which sounded similar to the tinkling of anklets which is traditionally worn by women. I listened for some time, and then didn't bother because I though somebody might be out for a walk and was passing by our house.
I got busy again with my books.
But my ears were not ready to give up. I was still hearing those anklets!
Since it was getting on my nerves, I decided to investigate. I got up, looked out through the huge windows of our living room on the ground-floor,on to the street infront of our house. No one.Strange!
I went out through the front door, circled the perimeter of our enclosed compound with a flashlight in hand. No results again! Now I was feeling fear pinching at my heart.
Still,I manned up, and went outside our main gate, circled the compound wall from outside flashing the light everywhere. Still no sign of anyone!
I suddenly realised, that all this time, I never even for once did hear the anklets!
I ran back inside, shutting the main gate behind me and also locking the front door as I finally entered the safety of my home, or so I thought.
I was, by then, sweating profusely. I gulped down a tumbler/glass full water and cautiously sat down again to resume my studies, albeit praying.
No sooner had I opened the book, again it started. And this time it seemed nearer! It seemed to be coming from inside the enclosed garden, just outside the front door!
This time I was part angry at whatever was making that noise, besides being scared.So,I switched on my stealth mode (o ya... Had a built in stealth mode before I became this fat), and tiptoed to the garden after unlocking the frontdoor as silently as I could.Curiously,and to my credit, the one with the anklets was still sounding them. But what amazed me most and scared me in the next moment that this thought came to my head is that the sound was static... It was coming from one place yet it sounded like someone was wearing anklets and walking!
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Dear Merlyn,

Aha!You are from the subcontinent!

Regards

Dear Val,

A 'Bhootni' is what you might call a 'ghostess'😆
In Hindi, if you know what I mean.

Regards
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Have you windchimes outside or anything in your room that could be making such a noise? Check! I recently heard a tapping sound. Eventually I realised the window was slightly ajar and was catching on the frame! 😳
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
At Merlin - A Bhootni? What is that? Please don't make me google an answer.
Merlyn9394 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Hi amit,
I don't think you are going nuts. Do you feel a bhootni is haunting you? Dont worry yaar be brave like sunny deol.
Keep your spirits up.
Garam Dharam

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: