You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Large Demonic Black Dog On The Side Of The Road

Real Ghost Stories

Large Demonic Black Dog On The Side Of The Road

 

At around 9PM I was in the car with my girlfriend and my step dad about to take her home after she had stopped over at mine during the day.

On the way there, we were traveling along a main road and all of a sudden, to the left of us appeared a large black dog, with what looked to be large teeth, it's shoulders were broad and large but it's eyes did not glow. The dog walked off of someone's drive and appeared from beyond a wall, initially it felt like my heart dropped into my stomach but the longer I looked at it I just passed it off as being a a normal dog. As we drove past I looked behind and the dog still carried on walking, there was no owner to be seen (also there was another car behind us) I asked my girlfriend if she had seen it but she said no.

Once we had pulled up to my girlfriend's house about 3 minutes later, my step dad said "Did anyone else think anything was off with that dog up the road?" and I automatically responded without hesitation. Once I got home I undressed and got into the shower, once I got out I noticed a red line on the right side of my chest by my arm, it did not hurt, it was just there. I never noticed the mark before getting in the shower so I found that this was an odd occurrence. I then began to do some research on the sighting of the black dog and found that it could be an omen towards the viewers death or someone very close to that of the viewer. This is what got my scared and the main reason I am writing this story.

Thank you for reading, if you have any input on my story PLEASE comment because I am very scared of this occurrence. I would also like to add that my step dads mother is in and out of hospital with tests at the moment due to some complications, has this sighting got anything to do with it?

-Liam

Other hauntings by liam667

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, liam667, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DylanHintz (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-12)
I've heard stories of people who have looked at a dog like that I think it was three times and they themselves have died. One that I recently read was a photographer or some one like that saw him three times then soon after fell to his death, coincidence? I can't say for sure but it does sound strange to me.
Linzell (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-07)
Hi, My first post but I just wanted to say that my grandfather had an experience with a black dog. He has had a few paranormal experiences which he'll shrug off but he always maintains that if you ever saw the "devil dog" as he called it, you would be frozen with terror. It was the one thing he never wanted to witness again. I hope your step-grandmother is OK but I don't expect you saw the devil dog nor was it any omen, perhaps the feeling of something being off was because there was one huge black muscled dog off lead on its own close by? X
RareAura555 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-07)
Did the dog have any red on it at all? Or was it pure black?
And also did its eyes look demented and red?
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-02)
Just found another link to a short clip related to 'Old Shuck':

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKTc9Spxuw

Chances are you probably just saw a normal dog walking along, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you can think of anything more with this experience, or if your step dad can add anything else, feel free to drop a line or two.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-02)
Hi Liam667, where exactly did you see this dog?

Also, did your father give a reason as to why he said that the dog looked 'off'?

'Shuck' is often seen in East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambs), particularly along the Norfolk coastline and descriptions of the sighting commonly ascribe the dog as big, black and shaggy. Sometimes with eyes that glow and sometimes not.

Each town and village in each county, where Shuck has been sighted, has its own superstitious beliefs ranging from an omen to something harmless and even benevolent. Some people who have claimed to have seen him consider his presence unthreatening and looking just like an ordinary dog, others say otherwise.

Here is a link:

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_shuck
Amie_16 (2 stories) (104 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-02)
That's creepy! Like you didn't saw that scratch on your chest before shower and you saw it when you had come out! Hang on a minute, are you sure you didn't hurt yourself? Like maybe while taking bath you hurt yourself ini?
rockangel13 (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
Um, exactly how did that black dog look? Demons always create an aura of negative energy around them. Maybe it was an ordinary dog that might have looked big. Plus, it was nine at night, so maybe it would've looked demonic in the darkness!

I hope your relative gets well soon.

Rockangel13
hunting_for_answers_ (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
I agree with badjuujuu on this one, too. Big and black doesn't necessarily mean evil. Stigmas like this one is why black dogs and cats are euthanized so much in animal shelters. It is sad that this stereotype cost so many lives. But anyways, back to your story... I am happy to tell you that you most likely did not see a Black Shuck, and you most likely do not have to worry about dieing any time soon!
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
I seriously doubt that this was supernatural. You mention that the dog was large but it's eyes were not glowing. You also mention you looked back and the dog was still there.
I have 4 dogs, one of them looks like a black wolf.
I don't know how or where you got the red mark but as you didn't come in contact with the dog it did not come from it.
There is too much stigma on black animals and too many myths and such attached to them.
Perhaps the reason the dog seemed "off" to your dad is the dog may have been ill or something else was wrong with it.
Regards
Red
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
liam667,

I have read about the "black dog" but I really do not think that what you saw was nothing but a normal dog. In the Lore the Black dog comes to you to pass the warning that you or someone that you know will die but like I said it is lore that is very old and took place during the time that witches were being prosecuted.

There have been sightings of the black dog all over the world and in many cases death does not occur.

Do not worry about the sighting put all or your energy into your families well being. I hope your step-fathers mother feels better. Thanks for sharing

Whitewolf,
alexreed (4 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
i can't remember what it's called but if you see it three times you die but that's just what I heard
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
I read nothing in your description to suggest that that dog was 'demonic' or other than a very large dog. I agree with BadJuuJuu. Coincidence.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Hi Liam,
I'm with Badjuujuu on this one, it is best to rule out the probable before jumping to anything else.
I'm guessing you would of been wearing your seat belt. It is possible the red line could of been left by the belt especially if it had pulled taught whilst you was looking at the dog?
There are many breed of dogs which are tall and muscular so It's possible this was nothing more than a large dog.
cloekimura (1 stories) (3 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Actually, old English legends mention something about a black demonic dog. Called the Black Shuck. It actually is said to attack two churches. You may have encountered one. If so, I'd be careful. It is said seeing it three times will kill you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
The red line is probably nothing, could just be an imprint from your clothing. The black dog? Just a black dog. They're everywhere, and they have nothing to do with anything supernatural. They're just dogs. Same as any other color of dog. I don't think seeing the dog has anything to do with your relative's tests. It was just a coincidence. Don't worry about it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: