You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Whistling Calls For Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Whistling Calls For Ghosts

 

Heyyo! My name is Mary and I would like to share a true paranormal event I had experienced about 2-3 years ago in the beautiful country New Zealand, Auckland. I use to have a habit of whistling, A LOT. My mum would always tell me that I shouldn't whistle so much, especially at night time because it calls for spirits. It kind of creeped me out at first, but then I thought it was probably just some superstition & mum was just trying to scare me. So I still whistled, just not as much.

My cousin Kara came from up north and stayed at my place with my mum, dad, younger brother and two younger sisters. Kara and I stayed up one whole day straight, (we were competing to see who could stay up the longest), anyway, we wanted to try stay up 2 days, and it was going on to night time. Everyone went to bed besides me and Kara and we just played games on the computer, I began whistling... And didn't stop, I whistled for a pretty long time. While I was sitting on the seat next to Kara by the computer, I felt this cold (really cold) air on the side of my arm, I then stopped whistling, and thought of what my mum said. I was kind of scared, but I managed to take my mind of it and I pulled my sleeping bag up to cover my arm.

Kara and I were too tired, and couldn't stay up any longer. So we walked to my room and she slept on the mattress on the floor, and I slept on the bunk bed, at the bottom. I couldn't get to sleep, and my cousin Kara was well asleep. I then got a really bad feeling, and I started thinking about what my mum said and I began to wonder if I called a spirit, and if I did, was it good or bad?

I got pretty sweaty, and hot which made it harder to sleep, but I didn't want to open my eyes because I was afraid someone or something would be there in the room. All of a sudden, I heard doors slamming in the passage way, shutting and closing, and it scared me, A LOT. (my bed was close to the passage way, and the bedroom door was open) so I peeped and I saw no doors slamming and opening. I was so scared, I started sweating, my heart was beating so fast! And I was praying that it would stop and go away, I couldn't even think or move and then I was just so scared I fell asleep.

I then woke up in the afternoon, and I had the worst sleep ever, but I was glad that everyone was up and it was day time. As I got out of bed, I turned my head side ways, and my neck hurt like hell! I looked in the mirror, and asked my younger sister if anything was there and there were three scratches, like claws on my neck, it looked like a cat had scratched me, and Kara had a really bad (worse than mine) scratch on her belly, only one though.

Anyway, I told my mum about it and she nodded her head in disappointment saying "I told you! That's why you don't whistle at night, you could have called a bad spirit! But I don't think that spirit will hurt you anymore, if it doesn't then it was probably just teaching you a lesson to listen next time". Then I apologized to her, and I said out loud in front of her, "Sorry ghost, or whatever you are for whistling. I won't do it EVER again." and I was never bothered.

Around last year, I realized that if it wasn't the passage way doors slamming, it was probably the kitchen cupboards. And I know you are probably thinking it could have been your mum or someone in the kitchen, but I asked everyone if they got up at all at night time, or should I say like 2 in the morning in the kitchen, and no one did.

But yeah, sorry if it's long, just wanted this to be detailed enough for you to understand. Comment below, your thoughts or you're similar experiences. Thanks:)

Other hauntings by KiwiGal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KiwiGal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WildBlackberry (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
My parents came from Eastern Europe and they also never let me whistle in the house. They thought it would attract evil spirits.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-05)
An interesting experience which reminds me a little of M. R. James' ghost story, 'Oh Whistle and I'll Come To You, My Lad!"

Interesting how different cultures can share similar beliefs and customs.

U.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-04)
Hey there! One question, you got any pets? Apart from it, your story was really awesome. I never knew about the whistling in the night thingy, but now I do. All thanks to you, I'll beware (: Amazing story. Be good. Thanks again.
-Shady
Isolde (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-04)
Mmm... Even those that have been handed down by generations can originate in non-paranormal motivation. That holds no proof in itself. Especially those that limit the behavior of certain groups in society, f.e. Women or the poor.
I'm very interested in these believes, but would be more inclined to test them, but of course in the paranormal domain that (testing) forms the biggest challenge. 😉

Isolde
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-04)
At Isolde,
That's something I've wondered myself, and I've come to the conclusion that (drum roll, please)...it's just about divided! 😆 For the paranormal there are no iron clad 'rules' perse. The few there are have been passed down by word of mouth over generations. I guess you could call those 'time proven'. However there are also people who use/misuse the paranormal/ beliefs to make people behave in certain ways, scare them into doing/avoiding certain things, or for personal gain.
I guess with rules like 'whistling', it depends on your own beliefs.
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-04)
[at] valkricry, oh I see. It's just that I always wonder when it comes down to 'rules' like this if it has really something to do with the paranormal or if the paranormal is used/misused to install fear in people to make them behave in a certain way, which has nothing to do with the paranormal, but everything with the desired social structure.

Isolde
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
Mabie it was sleep deprivation? You said you were up for more that 24 hours. Not sure about the scratches though.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
To be honest,Isolde, with my mom - I think she just thought whistling was just 'unladylike'.😆
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
Hi Val,
Thanks, so, men can whistle without repurcussions? Doesn't sound fair to me. Such believes always make me wonder of their origin.
But maybe I'm overthinking this.
It happens...
Isolde
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
Isolde, I think the whistling belief depends on where you're from. Many cultures believe that it does attract not only spirits but bad luck as well.
My mother always said "Whistling women and crowing hens always come to a bad end." I've also been told that it is especially bad to whistle in a cemetery or outside at night as it might attract a wandering spirit to follow you home.
~Val
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
Hi KiwiGal,

Thanks for posting your story.

I never heard of whistling attracting ghosts or spirits. Anyone here on the website has heard of this believe? Or other believes? It's interesting.

About your experience: like other posters noted.
What about sleepdeprivation? It can create hallucinatoins, deja vu etc. Maybe sleep paralysis? You're being still sort of awake, but soft of asleep already. Maybe the combination of the two. And then added the warning that your whistling had attracted a ghost or spirit...

Just some ideas and down-to-earth explantions for your experience. Only you can judge for yourself if they could be relevant in your case.

Respectfully,

Isolde
wstgrl (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-02)
hi kiwigal, I am also from nz an I have never heard of the "no whistling after dark' thing. I don't not believe your experience but I do think your mums comment was to re-inforce your listening to her an not "ghost" related at all. No dis-respect intended. 😊
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
Aloha KiwiGal,

Yeah, my mother would tell me the same thing. I believe it's just a Polynesian superstition, because I would hear the same thing from all my friends, Samoan to Tahitian, saying they don't whistle at night. Never heard this from my inlaws or friends from the "states" though... I should ask my cousins if they avoid whistling at night too.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Aloha - 4d ❤
scarlettsnowe (1 stories) (79 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-05-01)
You could've been just hearing things because you were so tired. Also, your mom kind of unknowingly set up an expectation for you, too. You were whistling, then you felt a cold spot on your arm. The cold spot could've been anything- air conditioner, cold chills, who knows? Then that, combined with what you mother told you and being so tired you could easily be hallucinating, (just a little), sets up the "paranormal" experience you had. Just a thought. 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: