You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: It Wants To Take Us

Real Ghost Stories

It Wants To Take Us

 

My experience took place in the North East of England in a county called Northumberland. It happened during the beginning of September in 2007.

When I was younger my granddad would often talk of strange happenings in his home. I used to hang on his every word and, having just thought they were only stories or tall tales, I was about to find out how wrong I was.

There was one in particular he told a lot. Reason being that, although it started years ago, he was still having "visits" from whatever this thing was. He said that an elderly man with blue eyes dressed in black would talk to him at night (this had been happening since he moved to his new home). The thing is, he said this "man" didn't want to talk about normal things but vile and disgusting things that sickened my granddad. (During my stays there I often heard whispering and loud noises but didn't think much more of it).

I feel it is important to note that I am very close to my granddad and at the time this happened I used to visit him at his home quite often. During one of my usual visits, my granddad seemed out of sorts and not his usual self. I brushed it off but, while I was making us both a cup of tea, he said that I was no longer allowed to visit him at his house. Of course I was shocked and upset by this but when he gave me the reason, I was both happy and worried. According to him he was visited by the elderly man the night before, but instead of his usual dirty mouth he changed the talking point to me and as you can imagine, this worried my granddad greatly.

The reality of what my granddad had said didn't sink in until my parents decided to renovate my entire house. The house was originally built during the late 1800's so you can imagine how strange it looked when it was stripped back to its original state. I had been left alone one day while my parents went to buy supplies for the housework Being left alone was a rare thing in my house, so I took advantage of the situation and decided to play some of my music.

My house is an open plan so from the lounge I can see directly into the kitchen (which was creepy with the current demolition of walls and ceilings) and at either end of the house we have two large windows. I was sitting in the lounge directly opposite the window when a reflection in the window caught my eye. It was too early for my parents to be back so I assumed it was my older brother returning from work and, as usual, I proceeded upstairs to have my regular chat with him.

On my way up the stairs I was accompanied by my terrier who seemed nervous, and she seemed to be approaching the top of the stairs in a very cautious manner. We were about 2 or 3 stairs from the top when she stopped and refused to go up any further. I thought it was unusual as my dog loves my brother and usually makes a big fuss over him when he comes home. Little did I know that the reason she wouldn't go upstairs would possibly scar me for life.

The thing that I thought was my brother was, in fact, the old man with blue eyes and the black clothing my granddad had talked about so much. Terrified, I couldn't move and a wave of nausea came over me as the smell of rotten eggs filled my nose. He seemed to enjoy my fear and he almost seemed to smile when I began to shake. It must have only been a few minutes, but I felt like I had been standing looking into this things eyes for ages. Slowly but surely I began to feel my way down the stairs, never turning my back on it for fear of being hurt or followed.

After the first encounter, I decided that I didn't want to stay in the house while it was being decorated so I stayed with my boyfriend until early December 2007 when it was finished. But I wasn't aware that whatever visited my granddad had been waiting for my return.

Feeling uneasy and paranoid in my newly refurbished home, the memory of the last time I had been there lingered in my head. In an attempt to stop the thoughts, I decided going to bed would be a better idea... Big mistake. I'm the type of person who doesn't settle when their personal space has been changed, so nodding off proved nearly an impossible challenge.

It must have been around 3 or 4 before tiredness took its toll and I began to drop off when I suddenly got the feeling I had to look at my door. The door was slightly ajar to let some light from the bathroom into my room as I dislike the dark (and with good reason).

Evil, it's the only word to describe the feeling that had suddenly surrounded me. It was a horrific feeling wanting to move or at least cover my face but not physically being able to do it. All I could do is wait. The feelings intensified as I watched what looked like a hand curl around my bedroom door and begin to push it open. Not wanting to wet myself from being scared, I somehow managed to muster up the courage to ask whatever this thing was what it wanted. A short pause felt like the longest moment of my life and the answer the thing gave me was so short and simple, yet the most fear inducing reply I've ever heard, "You." The voice was deep and raspy and made my hear sink upon hearing it but, in desperation and wanting to gain control of my physical being, I struggled to say the words, "You can't have me." Minutes passed I could hear something that sounded like hissing or cold water being dropped on a hot surface and the hand slowly retracted and the feelings of dread and fear vanished.

I visited my granddad a few days later despite his wishes for me to stay away, to tell him of the events but before I'd even had a chance to tell him the evil visitor's answer to my question he mouthed the word "you" and nothing more was said. I just knew that his intentions for me were the same as the ones for my granddad.

Since that night my granddad or myself haven't seen or heard from whatever the thing was and, in all honesty, the both of us never want to. There have since been small disturbance at both my granddad's and my own house like doors swinging open and fast tapping on walls and cupboards, but we'll take that over our elderly man any day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JeniferFlower, has the following expectation about your feedback: I won't be reading the comments.

Kayla_Lynn (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
I actually believe this story, simply because of something my dad told me. Just because a story is well written doesn't automatically make it fake. It's very possible the author of this account is an avid writer like myself. No one should be quick to make assumptions. Also, just because the author refuses to join in the discussion doesn't mean this account is false. Like I said, I have a reason to believe this is true. My father has also encountered the elderly man. He met him in California. An English elderly man with blue eyes and an essence of evil that emitted from him. If there's one person I absolutely believe in this world, it's my dad.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Yes, Sceptic-Ari, it is much improved. It even had me going for a while...
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
hahahaha poor puff 😜 but would not be a good idea to have him operate heavy machinery in his tired state
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
triden,

Puff was tired, I wasn't going to wake him up for the obvious...LoL...

Respectfully,

Rook
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Hey Rook

It would seem even revving up the miss demeanour would be a waste of time, hey?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Clarence,

The comments wove such a convincing one it seems an official deployment was not necessary.

Respectfully,

Rook
Clarence (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Oh, man. Wow. I only have one question:

Where is the blanket?
Cyborg-Siren (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
I think it's very well written, but if it's not true then it belongs on a short story site or something and is wasting time here on YGS. And the OP declines to comment so that just seems like it's fake.
anjarey (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-13)
like the others already said, it sounds too much like a short story or something... Just hard to believe...
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-13)
Have to say, this does feel like too much over-dramatization. I know I have a back ground of "nice" spirits in my life, but this is the type of writing that makes me love the fact that Dean Koontz (my fav fictional writer) writes about genetic experimentation. I'd hate his books if they were as phony as this story.
CharlieCheshire (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
I'm a writer. This reads like a novel, and not a very good one.

I hate to invalidate anyone's experiences, but seriously, the way you describe it just seems... Fake. Not like you've sat down and thought about what to say, but that you've plotted it out meticulously and thought about what you ought to say. Even the title sounds like a short story off Wattpad or something.
WildStallionDHSGahanna (1 stories) (12 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Scary scary scary... Wow. Great story, terrifying experience!
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Hi Jeniferflower:
I heard that Steven Spielberg is looking for a great fictional writer for his next movie. You should really consider it.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Aha!Didn't think of it that way... Gotcha Val... Shall be careful next time... Mucho Gracias, if you know what I mean πŸ˜‰
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Ari, this would not qualify as plagiarism - you can't plagarise from yourself. πŸ˜‰
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
Dear Argette,
Don't you agree that this one is way better than the 2 older versions?
The O/P is getting better at writing at the least 😜

Regards
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
It isn't the writing style as much as the plot that makes me think this is fiction. I think when the poster declines to comment that is a sure sign of a hoax.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
Just making it easier for those who are still wonderin':

Compare this story with,

The Shadow or The Mailman http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=17717

And

He is the Man in Black http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=17752
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
Ok so I'm not the only one that noticed all of that! I'm not going, to quote (or is that twist it) Big Bang Theory "bat crap crazy!" πŸ˜†
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
Of particular note the Blue eyed 'man in black' came for a visit from Grandfather's and manifested in the O/P's home.

I really enjoy some of the descriptive lines however...

"The thing that I thought was my brother was, in fact, the old man with blue eyes and the black clothing my granddad had talked about so much. Terrified, I couldn't move and a wave of nausea came over me as the smell of rotten eggs filled my nose. He seemed to enjoy my fear and he almost seemed to smile when I began to shake. It must have only been a few minutes, but I felt like I had been standing looking into this things eyes for ages. Slowly but surely I began to feel my way down the stairs, never turning my back on it for fear of being hurt or followed."

And

"Evil, it's the only word to describe the feeling that had suddenly surrounded me. It was a horrific feeling wanting to move or at least cover my face but not physically being able to do it. All I could do is wait. The feelings intensified as I watched what looked like a hand curl around my bedroom door and begin to push it open. Not wanting to wet myself from being scared, I somehow managed to muster up the courage to ask whatever this thing was what it wanted. A short pause felt like the longest moment of my life and the answer the thing gave me was so short and simple, yet the most fear inducing reply I've ever heard, "You." The voice was deep and raspy and made my hear sink upon hearing it but, in desperation and wanting to gain control of my physical being, I struggled to say the words, "You can't have me."..."

Its great writing... Creates a wonderful, 'scary' atmosphere. I am not trying to say that well written/worded stories are 'false'...however the focus here seems to be more on the 'prose' than actual factual details.

Respectfully,

Rook
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Yup...Ari, Val, I'm seeing the same thing. Better narration & some inconsistencies fixed, but still the same general frame of "the story of a character from the past now coming to haunt me", the same grammatical errors, and of course, the "I want you"...and allll the over-thetop descriptives -

"Little did I know that the reason she wouldn't go upstairs would possibly scar me for life."

But still lack of actual "realistic" facts/timeframes...

All of these combined throw up a red flag for me, and lead me to quote a favorite line from an old-school movie..."They're Baa-aaack!"
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Still its plagiarism then. Its something or the other. Or is there a single kind haunting different people😨
Nah...that's not it.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
I don't know. Granny was on earlier. Rook's usually pretty late.
Of course it's posible different person read the other and gave it a twist.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Dear Val,
The O/P says she won't be reading the comments. That might be because she will not need to;she already knows that she will be caught once she posts this crap again.

Regards
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Dear Val,
Ain't it so!
The narration is getting better though. Kudos to that.

Other's coming? 😜

Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Ari - dollars to doughnuts we're thinking the same. Very similiar indeed.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Dear Miracles,Granny,Val,rook and my friends on YGS,

Please come over to this story and have a read. Please let me know if I am the only one finding something uncanny!

Do come over ASAP.

Obliged...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Dear JeniferFlower,
Welcome to YGS.
Before commenting about your experience, I would like to have some of my friends over for a look.

Regards
LittleBunnyNeko (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
First off let me say that this has scared me, hardly nothing ever scares me to much and this has freaked me out...

Second off...
The man could easily enough of wanted you in a very bad way, witch I guess you already know so that's not very much help so Be careful, he could come back for you, I don't know much about this type of thing but if he wants you that badly he could easily enough come back for you and this time win so Id find something that could protect you against evil sprits like for me I had a old cross necklace that my Great Grandmother gave me... So good luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: