You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mama's Girl

Real Ghost Stories

Mama's Girl

 

I have had several paranormal experiences myself... And they tend to not phase me as much these days. But there is one particular situation which you may find interesting.

My mother purchased a house about 4 years ago, where she lives alone. The house was built in 1952. About a year after moving into the house, she decided to do so some gardening. This was major gardening. Planting trees, shrubs, digging a pond, etc.

While digging she came across what appeared to be trash bags, but very old ones. They had odd looking drawstrings, she said. They tore open easily and she found several items which were remnant of a little girl. She found clothes, toys, hair accessories, dolls, etc. Both trash bags contained such items, all for a little girl.

At first she became nervous and curious, so she called two of my uncles over to see what they thought of it. After much talking and consideration, they concluded that since the house was built in the 50's, it might have been legal back then to bury a deceased loved one on your own property, though she never looked into it to confirm such an idea.

Not wanting to disturb a possible burial site of a little girl, she reburied the possessions which she had found and never looked into it any further. (SHOCKING I KNOW! THE CURIOSITY WOULD KILL ME.)

After her discovery, things began to happen to inside her home. All of her battery operated wall clocks would stop daily. She would replace the batteries constantly but they would always quit working within a day or two so she got rid of them.

Then she began hearing tiny footsteps running down her hallway, through the kitchen, and out the back door... Which leads to the back yard where the garden and girl's possessions lie.

If that wasn't enough, she also began hearing a child's laughter. And other family members who have visited have reported hearing the same. I never heard such things while staying in her home. However, the last time I spent the night with her she gave me her bedroom and she took the couch. I could feel something right next to her bed staring at me. I had a horrible anxiety attack and was consumed with fear because I could FEEL a presence next to me and had no idea what it was.

Now, before you say it was all in my head because of the stories she had told me... You have it backwards... She had never told me a single bit of the occurrences until that very night when I came to her on the couch, paralyzed with fear and anxiety over the feeling of being watched. That's when she calmly smiled and told me all about the possessions, the laughter, and the little girl.

I pleaded with her to research the history of the house and anyone who resided there, but she feels content to leave the girl alone and let her play in her home. She says she doesn't mind sharing, especially since the little girl was there first.

Very sweet of my mom I'd say... But if it were me I'd be doing a lot more digging for sure!

Other hauntings by Perhaps

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Perhaps, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Wow! I was so touched by your mom's generosity! This is something only a mom can think. While it might be unnerving to have a spirit 'play' in the house, your mom might be thinking that if it's not troublesome, mischievous or downright dangerous, it's okay to let her be. But then, this little spirit also needs to rest in peace. So maybe she could do some blessing to release her from this earth-bound existence?

I'm a mom to a little girl myself and this story brought tears to my eyes.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Huh. Very odd indeed. With these days you have to be careful. I remember not too long ago, a girl buried her baby on her parents property and the dogs dug it back up. I'm not saying murder happened here, but that was the first thought I had cross my mind.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Hi Perhaps,
I am no expert on this, but if there is a local library, a worker there might be able to help you out... Maybe a town historian, or historical society... Maybe your mother could reach out to the owners of the house before her - they may know the story, or if not could at least point her to the owners before them & the trail could be followed back that way (don't imagine it would be Too many owners, and the property tax records/deeds would be public information, I believe)... Good luck, and please let us know if you are able to find anything out! 😊
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
first of all I'd find out for sure if a little girl did indeed live there, who died, and was buried there. 1952 isn't 1252. I'm sure there are some still living that were adults at the time or even kids, and believe me, if a childhood friend died I would never forget it or the way she died. And if she was buried on the property? No way in heck everyone in town that was living there at the time, and their cousins would not know the circumstances. I'm from oklahoma and have been here my whole life. I have lived in different parts of the state but know it and its people well. This would not be that difficult to find out. Aaannndd, if it was a fact, I'd get a recording device and motion detector and do a little sleithing. EEEEE... The cloths are freaky though. May have been a murder.
Perhaps (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
Thank you so much for the replies. You all made some excellent points.
I agree that there is no telling how old the bags could be, because being buried will obviously age anything. My mother said if she had to guess, the clothes appeared to be 70's or 80's (ish). She wasn't the least bit certain though.
Upon finding the items, she chose to completely stop digging in that area of the yard, put the items back, and reburied them. We do not know if there is a body buried on the property. I, too, had thought of the idea of disease, and burying the items for that purpose. I had also considered "accidental death" and a cover up. We may never know what the real story is. One interesting fact is that my mother lives about a mile from the largest cemetary in the city. It covers about a square mile, if not more. Perhaps someone lost a child and had them buried in the cemetary, but wanted to keep her possessions closer to home?
I have tried to research the house, neighborhood, etc. But I am no detective. I don't know where to begin or how to find older information. I do not live in the same state as my mother.
Do you all feel that the items should be left undisturbed?
Thanks again.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
Hi Perhaps,
MissusTodd has some very good points - In particular, I can see how burying the objects due to an illness would make sense. I myself was thinking that perhaps it was not the actual grave, but perhaps the child had passed away through illness or tragic accident, and the family decided to bury the belongings on the property, perhaps to still feel a closeness to the child. (Maybe the place she was laid to rest was a distance away or something?). I can see a distraught parent not wanting to completely get rid of the belongings, but trying to find a solution other than keeping them in the house as a constant reminder. Perhaps if you or your mother can find where the child is buried, a little ceremony could put her back to "rest?" I just hate to think she was at peace before, but then her belongings being disturbed unintentionally brought her back to a place she used to be... If its possible, I hope she can be set "free" to go be with the family who loved her so much that they buried even her belongings instead of giving them away... Thank you for sharing this story... I hope you are able to find some answers! Best Wishes to you,
MissusTodd (2 stories) (14 posts)
+10
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
The part of your story about the drawstring trash-bags got me thinking. I know you said they looked old, but I knew the drawstring-type bags hadn't been around for too many years. After a quick Wikipedia check, I found that drawstring garbage bags weren't sold until 1984. You didn't state that they were plastic, but I just assumed since that is what most of us think in regards to trash-bags.

Now, after that long-winded introduction, I'll get to my point, LOL. 1984 was nearly 30 years ago. If the bags were indeed plastic, it is very possible that the bags have degraded and would appear quite old after being buried in the ground. Could the toys/clothes just appeared older due to their condition? My thought is that perhaps this is a more recent death (i.e. 80's instead of 50's). While home burials are less common today, they are allowed in certain cases, but even if it was the case, wouldn't the family mark the grave? I'm not trying to be CSI about it, but it seems odd to me (as a parent myself) to imagine stuffing my deceased child's belongings in garbage bags to bury with them in an unmarked grave. I would probably be concerned with the possibility that something a little more nefarious might be at play. The whole scene that your mother described sounds more like someone attempted to hide or "get rid of" something.

Now for a less macabre suggestion. It is also possible that the clothes and toys were disposed of due to an illness or something of the sort. As a child, one of my friends had a rather chronic case of head lice, to the point that the doctors recommended her hair be cut off and her clothes/soft toys/bed clothes be thrown away. Also, (and this is me thinking of "The Velveteen Rabbit") further back, some people used to destroy children's toys and clothing after contagious illnesses to prevent reinfection.

I would recommend doing your own research into the house and property. Just because of my own concerns, I would also look at local news stories or missing persons from the 1950's and on. It sounds like a harmless spirit, so that doesn't worry me as much as saddens me (a child who can't pass on! 😭). No matter what, I wish the best to you and your mother, and I hope that this spirit can find her peace soon! Good luck!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
I doubt that it was a grave perse. No body was found right? Just a couple of bags filled with little girl stuff. But why would someone bury them, instead of tossing them, or even donating them to some charity? Very odd.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Fascinating story. Did your mother photograph the toys, or was she able to estimate what era they might have been from? I cannot imagine burying a child in a backyard in the 1940s or 50s, but I can imagine it happening in, say, the 1880s or even 90s. When I was researching the history of my neighborhood, I learned - in an 1896 newspaper - that two small skeletons were found in the backyard of a nearby house, and that the family that lived there several years before had had twins.

Very interesting and well-written story. Thanks for posting and welcome to YGS.
moonokami (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-08)
Wow, that is quite frightening! Sounds like it was right from a horror film. Though, the ghost doesn't sound evil and it is just a child. I think you should be safe, but always be on the safe side. What think happened is that your mother disturbed the grave and disturbed the ghost by disturbing a grave. It was just an accident though. 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: