You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Shadow Man, Demons, Possession?

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Man, Demons, Possession?

 

I have always been quite sensitive to the paranormal. The first story that I would like to share is one in which happened to me about 7 or so years ago and still concerns me. I am 26 now, married with an almost 2 year old, and another on the way.

When I was 18 and in college I met a man from Sri Lanka. There was always something a little off about him but at the time I looked past it and it was almost like he had me under a spell. Just 3 months into our relationship he became emotionally and physically abusive. I was terrified of him. But afterwards he would always tell me he loved me and that was why I made him so angry. Typical abused woman story.

We eventually moved away from college, away from my parents, and into an apartment of our own. We both experienced some strange occurrences. Someone touching his hair, playing with it and I could actually see it moving, things out of the corner of our eyes that the cat would also follow with her eyes and get scared of. After a few months things really took off.

When I would come home from cosmetology school or work I would find these crosses filled with holy oil that my ex (I will call him Dumi) had brought over from Sri Lanka. He said they were blessed by a priest. They had been in a drawer, but when I came home I would find them scattered all around the apartment. At first I wrote it off as my cat was getting very smart - able to open and close the drawers all by herself. While not getting her favorite toys from the same drawer!

When it happened every day for 2 weeks I started to get suspicious. Then, when I went out of the apartment quickly to throw the garbage in the dumpster and came back in not even 2 minutes later, I saw a "shadow person." It was very close to the same height and figure as Dumi, so thinking he maybe came home early and snuck in without me seeing, I called out his name, and followed it. He was standing next to my couch in the living room, and when I came in he ran into the hall around the corner and into my bedroom. I looked all over the bedroom, and nothing. Dumi was still at work.

The next night I awoke in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. This same shadow figure was at the other end of the hall in front of the main door. This was all very frightening.

I invited my friend over who was a missionary kid and grew up in Indonesia. I will call her Kali. We told Kali about what was going on and she felt that the apartment needed to be prayed over. We prayed with her over the apartment.

I should mention at this time that Dumi had grown up in a Christian home, even though the majority of the country is Buddhist or Hindu. He says that the year before he came to school in America that he had been kidnapped and left for dead. He claims he saw/heard Jesus tell him that he was going to save him, and after he miraculously ended up back home, he started working very closely with a pastor. This pastor was very much into "healing" and would hold big healing seminars. Dumi also watched him perform a lot of exorcisms and even held some possessed people. He claimed to be a strong Christian, yet sometimes would say some alarming things. He would tell me exactly what I was doing and when I was doing it, with no way of actually spying on me or anything of that matter. He would also repeat my thoughts. When I would ask him how he did this, he would say "I get my power from Satan." I honestly was scared but thought that he was just being the scary abusive guy that I had grown to fear and that his words meant nothing.

After Kali prayed over our apartment, things quieted down for a few days. About 2 or 3 days later, we were sitting on the couch watching TV. All of a sudden I began to feel drunk. Really drunk. I had not had a drink at all! I started to get angry, and saying things that didn't make sense in the least. I got up off of the couch and started running around the apartment (this is all a blur as I didn't feel like I was in control of my own body) and I had a superhuman strength. I remember being in the bathroom and Dumi trying to get me and calm me down. He was trying to drag me into the bedroom and I was holding onto the doorframe with one finger as he was pulling me with all his weight and had me parallel to the floor, like I was hanging in the air. Finally he got me into the bedroom and pinned me down on the bed where I threw him all the way across the room. I ran back into the living room and fell, started speaking in tongues, and foaming at the mouth. I remember my voice, which was different from this tongue's voice, crying out "Help me! Get it out of me!" Dumi ran to get his Bible, and started praying over me. Finally I collapsed to the ground very weak but myself again.

I know this may sound absolutely crazy, and maybe even like I was just a battered woman who maybe broke mentally. But ever since then it seems my life has been a mess. As hard as I try to go in the right direction, there's horrible things around every corner. Multiple events take place every year. Sickness, watching people die, break-ins, and sometimes my mind just goes... Wrong and I make wrong choices.

I feel that there is some evil presence still in my life. It seems every time I try to tell my story one of these major life changes happens, keeping me from telling it or getting help. I am trying again... And hopefully this time I am able to get my story out and hopefully getting some advice. Even now as I write this, my computer keeps mysteriously shutting off and my keyboard keeps locking for no reason.

I pray a lot, I need to pray more, read my Bible more I know. But is there anything else that I can do to close off this evil for good? Do you think that since it hasn't possessed me (at least not like that) again that it is gone and the rest is just my fear of the experience kicking in?

I honestly believe that Dumi was possibly not a Christian at all, but a Satanist. Why else would he tell me over and over that he gets his powers from Satan? He would tell me a lot of frightening things along those lines. Or am I just honestly a crazy person?!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, minnesotaLM, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-25)
hi pinka,
But kali is not evil but infact she is godesses ie female power in her raw form.

He has said he has been practicing satanism... And use of cross. As a hindu when iam readong this story it feels like satan workship and not of kali.

Kali yes I too agree some people use this power for bad things but its not good and its not kali who is doing it... They actually pray to kali and under her power I think these tantriks will falsely make an wondering spirit to do things for them... In return they tell the spirit that they have the power to make them see ir talk with thier loved ones... But these people they simple use these spirits and in the end they also suffer as usually they don't fulfil the spirit wishes. To bring these spirits under control they pray to maa kali
Pinka (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-02)
MinnesotaLM

Hi, I am from Sri Lanka. Please Belive me Dumi is not a Christian as he told you.

Sri Lankans practice a different kind of black magic. I know it has been over 5 years and I hope I'm not too late to shed some light on you.

In Sri Lanka there some people who think they are "gifted" they think they hear various gods. Please google these gods (Sohon Kali, Kadawara appachi, Badra kali, Kalukambili appachi etc) These people who have this gift start a place called "dewalea" because they can look at a person and tell them their past present and future like they have been spying on you. Just like Dumi was able to predict you. Some people are to genuinely hep people, some will help evil for money.

I must tell you that some people who has this gift of talking to unseen gods are able to control spirits. They can order them to do things for them. You said you felt like that he laid a spell on you right? That's must be it.

If we take a possessed person to one of this dewalae this gifted person can ask a spirit who he controls to pull out the spirit that possesses a body. They can ask a spirit to posses a normal person. They can order a spirit to go to a certain house and make them suffer. These gifted people use sea water, river water, spring water and various kind of oils which was chanted to keep this spirits in control. May be the holy water Dumi said must have been some kind of a water. Because you can't tell the difference.

He must have showed you some of the chanted water and spread crosses just to trick you. You said he was kidnapped and soon after he left Sri Lanka.

When he was kidnapped his parents must have seeked helped from one of these places. (Because people often go to these places to find missing people / to find good jobs/ to win a case/ to bail someone out from prison/ to pass an exam/ anything you could imagine) If that's the case there's a huge possibility that Dumi must have got this talent from one of those gifted who encourage evil. You could have contacted his parents and ask. Because even politicians in Sri Lanka go to these places.

And yes people who are gifted doesn't really know that they gifted unless a person who has the ability to recognize and inform them that they are gifted. (Mostly Hindu priests only recognize the gifted coz the above mentioned gods are Hindu gods) Example: If I go to the hindu kovil and the preist there recognize me and tell me that I am gifted and if he ask me to practice the ability then only I will be able to gain full control of it. Otherwise the gift will just fade away.

May be Dumi must have had the gift and was advised to practice it. He must have got help from one of the gifted to fly to USA or he must have helped himself to travel. Who knows! In Sri Lanka the "gifted" are very rich and fortunate coz they take money to help people A LOT OF MONEY!

Dumi must have attracted a spirit when you moved to a new place. That's what you must have seen and possibly possessed you.

Anyway I know it's too late. I knew right away what exactly your Ex is. These places can be found everywhere in Sri Lanka, some are fake some are the rel deal. Once I went to the "Dewalae" to get rid of my dead granny who was attached to me.

I hope that I shed some light on you. Dumi is no CHRISTIAN! He must be someone who is "gifted" we call it "Warama" in sinhala in case if you are interested to google.

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali
Https://www.ancient.eu/Kali/

Hope you are keeping well in present!
phsycowritergirl (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-22)
sorry for the weird little first comment, trying to delete it, but ran into technical problems
phsycowritergirl (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-22)
I don't think your crazy, I feel like whenever I'm stressed or emotionally overwhelmed, bad things start happening, and until I finally get my emotions together again, they just keep happening. I spent a whole once just feeling completely stressed and emotional. And until I calmed down, stuff just kept happening. I'm not saying that spirit possession is not possible, just that it might help things if you tried telling someone and getting all your abusive boyfriend and poltergeist experience out of your system. Try whatever cleansing methods you believe work, you say your Christian so pray when you can, demons cling to the weak, also if 'Dumi' is connected, do your best to just not think of him. I know it's impossible to forget something like that, but whenever he comes into your mind, try thinking about something positive. Best of luck
phsycowritergirl (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-22)
I don't think your crazy, I feel like whenever I'm stressed or emotionally overwhelmed, bad things start happening, and until I finally get my emotions together again, they just keep happening. I spent a whole once just feeling completely stressed and emotional. And until I calmed down, stuff just kept happening. I'm not saying that spirit possession is not possible, just that it might help things if you tried telling someone and getting all your abusive boyfriend and poltergeist experience out of your system.
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-07)
since I live in oregon I been to a few haunted places never heard anything or saw anything well maybe did but can't remember well was in 2009 I think not mine but my dad or god daughter told she took a picture and a evil face appeared or something they think it might be a reflection I never saw the picture because I was too afraid now I want to ask her if she can send it to me and ill try to put it on here if I can to see what people that's if I can but I probably wont.
inthelight (4 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-20)
Minnesota, I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. I'm a former non-believer, who, after many years of trying to prove that God didn't exist, became convinced that he does indeed exist. I've been studying and researching the supernatural and preternatural for more than 30 years. I've witnessed and experienced quite a few disturbing things. I've read hundreds of books and articles, thousands of internet articles, interviewed hundreds of witnesses, and investigated paranormal activity on 3 different continents. With all that background, I still consider myself a neophyte in this area - there is just so much that we don't know and will not know, because we're simply not supposed to know. However, as with any subject matter expertise, with many years of exposure, comes some insight. No one reading this thread is in a position to judge your experience or to make any pronouncements about what did or did not happen to you. I can offer this however - in my experience, shadow beings have, without exception, always been negative, evil and harmful. My guess is that they are connected to demonic activity. Can Christians (even though another respondent has an obvious biased opinion about our "nut-job" beliefs) become influenced, even possessed by the demonic? Absolutely. I've seen very strong Christians battle evil entities for years and years. Why? Ask yourself this - if you were Satan, who would you spend more time and energy on? The unbeliever who is doomed anyway, or the believer who is living in the light of God's graces? Trust me when I say that every Christian is a bright blip on Satan's radar screen - and the more influence they have over other people, the more that Satan targets them. One respondent made the statement that to him or her, it seems that demonic possession only happens to people who have been predisposed to the possibility of demonic possession through their "religion". Perhaps he or she should consider that demonic possession is simply never considered as a source of their problem for those that have no religious faith at all. A great orator once said that when the scientists and philosophers and professors start talking about our so-called enlightenment (that there is no higher power), that we would do well to remember that Satan's greatest achievement is convincing the world that he does not exist. Humans are so focused on our physical senses, that we have difficulty believing in the existence of anything that we can't see, touch, feel, hear or smell. We're made up of 3 parts - physical body, soul and spirit. We've lost all sense and knowledge of our spiritual side. We can no longer discern the spiritual part of our makeup and therefore presume that it must not exist. There is most definitely a spiritual realm, and it is inhabited by entities that are either evil or not evil. There is no gray area there - no neutral spirits who take no sides, because they, being in the spiritual realm, are very aware of both God's and Satan's presence. They will respond to one or the other, but not both.
From what you've described, my guess is that you've been exposed to the evil that exists within the spiritual realm. I could go into a very long explanation about why they despise and hate us so much - but I suspect I've already exceeded what is considered courteous for the length of a post. My advice, for what it's worth, is to seek out a pastor or priest, tell them everything that has happened and is happening, and ask for their assistance. If they scoff, refuse, hesitate, or act as if they don't believe you or take you seriously, then walk away and go to another - keep that up until you are successful in finding a real man/woman of God. The best advice that I have ever received: If you dwell on Satan, Satan will show up - If you dwell on God, God will show up.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-15)
Any man who abuses his woman, in any manner- cannot in any way be connected to Christianity. His claims of being connected to the faith sound like a complete farce. Glad to hear he is now your ex.
minnesotaLM (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Vsangels- my thoughts exactly. I know that demons cling to the weak and weary and I know he knows this too. Ugh. He just sickens me. Thank you all for your wonderful support!
minnesotaLM (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
OK I am going to try to address all the questions asked here but it may take me a few tries!
One suggestion that really stuck out to me was that dumi possibly drugged me. I have never thought about that and that could absolutely be. He is the scum of the earth and I wouldn't put anything past him. That sounds like something he would do. Either to just plain old scare me and advance whatever agenda he had set out for me, to weaken my spirit or just to plain old weaken me to allow whatever evil he had in store for me.
The crosses were blessed by catholic priests so he says. One other thing about that is after oh I don't know, weeks or months I finally dumped the oil into the toilet and threw the crosses away. Being a strong christian I was weary of doing so but I became convinced there was something off about them. All activity stopped. Maybe this was a head thing. I'm not sure.
Someone mentioned that he seems Looney extreme christian. While I give you the Looney, his other comments about Satan and chants and other weird stuff make me think he couldn't truly believe in what the Bible teaches- well expect maybe about Satan being a fallen angel and that side of stuff.
Another question is if I'm involved in a church and have support there. Yes. I do. I went to a Christian high school and college, been on many missions trips around the world and very involved in church activities. I'm surrounded with great support. Also to clarify, I'm not like a fundamentalist Christian or anything like that. Just very involved but also very non judgmental and "in this world"... Not off in the clouds if you know what I mean.
But yes about counseling I've been very well taken care of in this area since my experience being with dumi. I was diagnosed with PTSD from all this (well not this ghost-possession thing since I haven't brought it up, but the abuse) and receive great counseling. My current husband knows about everything and is extremely supportive. He's amazing.
This horrible man was just... Awful. Hell bent on breaking me. I mwan- *trigger* he would set me up for rape and then blame me for it. Twice. Don't ask how that happened becausw its a whole other story in itself and very hard to talk about but this is the kind of guy we are talking about here. I have no clue to the extent of what he was/is capable of.
VSAngels (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Hello, lovely! I must say you are a very strong woman and you're doing the best you can but if there is anything I do know it's that Dumi had something up his sleeve. It sounds as if he could've brought a demon upon you or he already had a demon he brought with him. You were abused and demons attack the weak and wounded. That's exactly what happened. Best wishes and good luck ❤
minnesotaLM (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Wow! Thank you all for the comments! I haven't read through them all yet, but what to quickly point out that dumi has been out of my life for about 8 years now. I have been through a lot of counseling over the abuse I suffered at his hand, but really haven't brought up this experience with my therapists. OK back to reading the rest!
R4ch3l12 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Please note that I do not wish to sound disrespectful to you in anything I say.
It seems to me that this Dumi individual you mention, for want of a better word, needs to go. You say you feel there is an evil presence still in your life and I believe he is it.
In my experience, supernatural events intensify when emotions are running high. It is my opinion that being with Dumi has weakened you both physically and emotionally. I cannot say for certain whether Dumi himself has done anything to you; but I do believe that his presence has made you vulnerable to possession by some kind of demonic presence.
If the praying helps you then this is excellent, however, perhaps you may consider counselling to find the strength to spend some time apart from Dumi.
If you strengthen yourself, emotionally and physically, then perhaps you will be strengthened against whatever presence is causing you to suffer.
If it is in fact Dumi that has done something to you himself, or he is simply causing you to be vulnerable to other evils, then his absence will surely begin to bring about positive results. If after counselling and time nothing has changed, you can rule this out as an option.
However, either way you should steer clear of the physically abusive.
Wyland_Renald (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Are you sure Dumi didn't do something to you?

There are people from that area of the world that practise black magic. Especially to get someone to love or be with them. This in turn can open up other possibilities such as demons coming in and doing what they like when the person who commanded them to do something is seen as weak.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Dear RedWolf,

An inadvertent error, I presume.

Kali, Maa Kali to be precise, is the goddess of shakti, or empowerment.
She's not exactly the goddess of life and death.

I do not mean to be rude and apologise if you feel offended.

Regards
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
It seems everybody has made some very good observations/suggestions.

The build up of negative energy in your former home/relationship may have attracted some sort of activity.

You mentioned crosses filled with blessed /holy oil were being pulled out of drawers and placed around the room... Do you know which 'Religion' blessed the oil?

The idea that your possession may have been 'drug induced' is a possibility that merits consideration... Is this something you have considered before?

I am glad you are no longer involved with 'Dumi' though after everything you experienced with him some of that negativity may still 'cling' to you. Speaking with professionals may help ease your mind but any energy still needs to be taken care of. There is a Cleansing/Shielding Method posted on my Profile that you are welcome to use.

Please ask any questions you may have, there are many people here who will listen and do their best to help you.

Respectfully,

Rook
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
minnesotaLM

I think that Dumi is a typical abuser. Taking you away from college and your family. Having Holy Oil in a drawer confuses me a bit as he said he got his power from Satan. Coming home and finding these crosses out all over the place and then you saw a shadow person. Please believe that shadow person was trying to protect you.
The episode where you started to feel drunk even though you hadn't had a drink sounds like Dumi drugged you. He had less than honorable intentions, more like sinister intentions. The fact you didn't pass out but had the opposite effect and you had a bad trip that made you stronger probably saved your life.
Do you remember running into the living room speaking in tongues and foaming at the mouth? Then saying get it out of me? It could be that your shadow person temporarily entered you to protect you and give you that strength and when you were coming down from whatever made you act that way you felt the shadow person in you maybe just beside you and you wanted it gone.
I truly think that Dumi was just a cruel abuser that filled your head about satan and you think that when bad things happen it's him. Just coincidence my dear bad things happen to good people all the time.

One thing I find interesting. You used the name Kali for your friend. Did you know that Kali is the goddess of life and death?

Regards
Red
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-05-13)
Hello MinnesotaLM, this literally the longest post I have ever written (sorry everyone), but there was a desperation to your story that made me reach out. There are a few things I wish to say about what happened to you, and some questions as well, but first I would like to just let you know how strong a person you are, and that you will get through this. Questions - you had mentioned that Dumi is your ex, and you are married currently (and in a much healthier relationship, I hope!) Have you told your current husband about what happened, and is he supportive of you and wanting to help? You mentioned about praying - have you found support and comfort through you church at all? And another question, Are you seeing a therapist to help heal the mental scars that being abused creates? If not, I would really urge you to find some counseling for that.

Ok, now here are some thoughts on what happened - As far as Dumi being a satanist, he may have simply been naturally more sensitive to the paranormal, and able to pick up on thoughts and other things... Depending on what "flavor" of Christianity he believed in, (and whatever it was, it sounds like it was pretty hard-core), then Dumi's priest friend may have told him that anything supernatural, is "evil"...I have heard people who believe, quite strongly, that unless its "God" or "angels" or a "saint", (put your fave stereotypical "good" divine being here) then it's satanic. All ghosts are demons, all psychics are witches... Some Christian sects have these beliefs. He may have been told by his priest friend, that any "powers" he had were satanic, according to his (extreme, potentially nut-job) religion. **To the religious out there, I just want to make it clear that I truly mean no offense, we all follow our own paths, and I wanted to lighten the mood 😊 I do, however think that people who are nut-jobs are more likely attracted to nut-job extreme-type religions... Peaceful people are attracted to peaceful religions. Just my two cents. 😉

As for the crosses being moved & things happening in the apartment, it would not surprise me that all the negative energy pent up would cause odd occurrences and possibly even have attracted an entity. As for your ah, episode (trying to tiptoe lightly here), I would just want to rule out all natural, physical, and mental causes. Had the apartment ever been checked for radon, molds, bad gasses or chemicals that might cause lightheadedness or erratic behavior? You were young, and under a great deal of stress at the time... And being that your husband's church did "perform exorcisms" and "faith-healing" of people, these things were already in your subconscious mind. I lean towards a non-supernatural cause, because that is the kind of person I am... Other people may have very different (and just as valid!) views. It just seems to me that "possessions" do not have a habit of happening to people who are Not exposed already to the idea through their religion. I will probably get some nasty feedback for that thought, but it's just my opinion everyone... I could very well be proven wrong & change my mind. I apologize for the long response, I hope my thoughts are somewhat helpful to you, and I wish you the very best. May you stay strong & positive, search out the goodness and light, and surround yourself with people who are strong, respectful of you, and who make you feel happy. You will get through this.
zombie_killer_of_india (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-13)
Hi,
Do you know satan is known as shaitan in hinduism and islam even we here in india have the same story of satan being expelled from heaven.
So it may possible that Dumi might have learn't it from sri lanka.
abanob (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-13)
Yes you can put end for all this go to a priest and ask him how can I born again... And for your old friend he may be satanic or he may wanted badly to hell think about it if someone devil want his soul am saying thay according to what he told you when he kidnaped jesus save him well that explain a lot or that may be true jesus came to him and he drop it all behinde him and made a contact with the devil wish you good luck don't forget to ask. Priest (how to born again)
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-13)
Have you considered counseling? I'm not trying to be snarky, or imply that you're insane, but you went through an emotionally trying time and you may need some professional help in putting it behind you. Some of the activity you're still experiencing may be your emotions manifesting themselves, basically poltergeist activity. Poltergeists occur when an individual is stressed or emotionally overwhelmed. Until the stress/emotional issues are dealt with, the poltergeist manifestations continue. In my opinion, seeking a therapist's help would be the best way to help heal the pain in your heart and get the activity you're describing to stop.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: