You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Was It Just A Dream Or Was It Real?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It Just A Dream Or Was It Real?

 

I was 16 years old when it happened. It was late at night and I was in my room, sleeping. After a long day from school and doing loads of homework, I thought I deserved a hard earned nap. All was well... The house was so quiet; everyone else was asleep. Even the neighbors across the street were quiet that night too. Usually, they stayed out late and made so much noise when they came home. Anyways, here is my story:

Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis? It happened when I was asleep when I felt my body go numb. I was half asleep, half awake. I tried to move, but couldn't. I felt like someone or something was preventing me from moving. Every time I tried to turn my head to the left, it was jerked back to the right! I was very scared. Then suddenly, my throat felt so tight and I could feel hands choking me. I knew that I had to do something so I forced myself to move and then everything was fine again. But I was frightened out of my wits that I couldn't go back to sleep, so I stayed up until I felt safe enough to go back to sleep. Was it just a dream, or did it happen for real?

The next day, I thought about what had occurred the night before. I didn't know why it happened. All I knew was that I was very petrified and confused. I'm not religious at all, and I don't ever go to church or pray. However, I do believe in the paranormal. I just don't know why this happened to me.

I'm just glad that after that, nothing like this has ever happened to me again and I am very thankful and would like to keep it this way. I cannot see ghosts, talk to them, or hear them. And I never want to have that gift/or experience. What happened to me was very scary! I would have a heart attack and just drop dead right there if it did ever again. *knocks on wood*

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xxelainedenisexx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

EHauss (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-19)
Hi Elaine,
I too am in agreement with most that what you experienced was probably sleep paralysis. There's a lot information on the internet regarding this, but just wanted to share my experiences with it to you.

Mine started when I was a teenager as well. The first time it happened to me, it wasn't that unpleasant, but each subsequent paralysis became worse. For me, the feeling of being choked feels very strong and very real. I've even had episodes where I've "seen" a shadow at the side of my bed that reaches out and starts choking me. I'm in my early thirties now and still get them from time to time. I've come to realize that (for me) they aren't necessarily paranormal but brought on when I've been under a ton of stress combined with lack of sleep.

I've had these episodes often enough that I have learned to recognize when they are about to happen. Sometimes I've been able to snap myself out of it before the "choking" stage. Other times, I'm too exhausted and just have to let it run its course. The experience, nonetheless, is still frightening, but at least I feel somewhat prepared for it. Mine typically only last a few seconds to a minute.

Thanks for sharing your story and take care. 😊
Amie_16 (2 stories) (104 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Thanks RedWolf 😊 😊 I agree with you too ❤
And Rubina everyone else here believes in sleep paralysis and it's no biggie! There is such thing as sleep paralysis if you don't agree then google it! And yes no one is forcing you mind it...
Thanks and regards!
Sonty (1 stories) (29 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Hi Elaine,

I don't know what was it, but it must have been very scary. This site have member form all over the world with different kind of experiences and every one has his/her right to express their opinion. But it should always be your call on what you believe, as you are the one who experienced it. The good part is that you came out of it absolutely fine. Take care Dear.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Dear Rubina,
I would request you to watch this documentary video:-
The Entity- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbpOucNVn4

It is a study, albeit short, on the topic of SP.

Regards
Rubina (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
RedWolf
Its not that I am irresponsible, its just my point of view. The same way as you believe its sleep paralysis I dont. Its just a comment. In that case you don't have to agree or disagree with someone.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Rubina
Why would youare a teenager by saying it was not sleep paralysis? Saying that it was a jinn or any other stuff that takes energy out of you is a little irresponsible. Sleep paralysis is something many people have experienced and has been scientifically studied. Some people experience this during REM or dream state sleep, others experience it just as they are waking up. Still others have experienced this during paranormal events.

I agree with Amie_16 that this was just a dream.

Regards
Red
Rubina (4 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Sorry I don't want to scare you but I don't believe in sleep paralysis, it can be jinn or any other stuff that takes ones energy out, because I too experienced it when I was pregnant. It really takes ones heart out. Sorry once again.
Amie_16 (2 stories) (104 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
Just a sleep paralysis because you were very tired. It was just a dream only and only a dream nothing else so just don't think about it much!
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-16)
It was just sleep paralysis, you were just exhausted and maybe a little stressed out. I know how unsettling it is, because I've dealt with sleep paralysis since I was 17.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: