You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Closet Door

Real Ghost Stories

The Closet Door

 

My husband and I had just moved into a house that was right behind the house my parents lived in. They owned this house as well, and wanted to rent this house out to us to be close to them since I was expecting my first child. On the day we moved in I was past my due date. It so happened that was also the day I had to go to the hospital to have the baby.

Shortly after having the baby my husband was moved to the graveyard shift at his job. So I would be home alone at night with our newborn and our two Chihuahuas, Jo and Bear. My mother, being the nervous nelly that she is, would ask if I wanted her to stay with me at night. I asked, "Why?" She said, "Well, aren't you scared because you're all alone in the house?" I told her, "Of course not, why would I be scared?" My mother is the biggest scaredy cat and I know she just wanted to keep me company, thinking I would be as scared as she would to be alone. But of course I wasn't, I'm a grown woman.

About a month or two after moving in I started hearing the closet door open. I have to add that we had a mirror with metal hooks that hung over the door, and every time we would open the door it would rub against the doorframe and make a loud screeching noise. I would be sleeping in bed with the baby in his bassinet next to the head of the bed, and our Chihuahuas on the floor next to the foot of the bed.

The first time I heard it, it was probably around two or three in the morning. I heard the loud screeching noise of the closet door open. It woke me up, of course, and I sat up looking at the closet door. It was open maybe about six inches. I looked down at the dogs and they were awake looking at the closet. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, so I went back to sleep.

This happened about five more times within the next couple of months. I told my husband, and I think it spooked him more than it did me, lol. On one of his days off, while we were asleep at night, we heard the screeching of the door open. He sat straight up in bed and just stared at the closet door. Nothing else happened. I just went back to sleep, but it seemed to bother him and he couldn't go back to sleep.

The last time it happened was about two months after it started. Again I was home alone sleeping with the baby and our dogs. I heard the door screech open, waking me up. I looked at the door and it had opened its usual six inches or so, but then I saw/heard the door continue to open. Suddenly the dogs started barking, I was looking at them and Bear was barking away with his ears up and fur up. Our other dog, who is ALWAYS the brave one and most territorial of us, ran under the bed and started crying! I have never seen him scared of anything. Their reaction really scared me. The door stopped opening when the dogs started barking, thankfully. That night I had trouble falling back to sleep. I told my husband and he put a lock on our closet door. I made sure I closed and locked the closet door every night. Nothing seemed to happen for a long time after that.

About a year later, I again found myself alone at home. It was a Sunday evening around 7:30pm. My husband was working and my son was with his grandma and grandpa. I was walking by the closet door, when I noticed it ajar. I no longer liked to leave it open, so I tried to close it. I say "try" because the wood on the closet door had started to warp, making it swollen and hard to close. I had to lean against it to try and push the weight of my body against the door to try and close it. Then I started banging along the edges of the door to try and get it to close and latch. In between one of those bangs, there was a big bang on the other side of the closet door at about the height of my shoulder, as if somebody hit it with their fist really hard. I could feel the vibration of this bang against my body, since I was leaning up against the door. I still had my hand in the air. I stepped away from the closet and lowered my hand. "What was that?!," I thought to myself. I tried to keep cool and went into the living room and sat down in front of the TV, which I had left on earlier. I was only seated about 30 seconds, when I had to get up and go to my mom and dad's house. I was too spooked. I didn't mention this to them, I felt silly telling them that I think there's a ghost in my house.

After that, I had my dad sand down the closet door, so it will close correctly. I always locked it, AND made sure to never bang on it again. I haven't experienced anything else in the house and it's been five years since the last incident.

I do want to add a couple of other strange things that happened. Shortly after moving in, my mom said that one time she walked in through the back door and walked down the hallway to the kitchen. She passed one of the rooms back there, and said when she walked in the door to that room was open. When she was walking back out she said the door was closed. I was the only one in the house, and I was in the living room. She got so scared and told me to come outside because she thought there was an intruder in the house. She had my dad look through the house, but of course there was no one there.

Before moving in, we hired someone to put in new tile in the kitchen. We had some boxes and a few action figures of my husband in the hallway leading to the kitchen (the same one my mom walked through). One day I opened the cabinet under the kitchen sink and found one of my husband's action figures in there. My dad was there inspecting the tile work with me, and I said aloud, "What's this doing here?" He told me the worker was scared of it, because it kept going off every time he passed it. The action figure wasn't motion activated; I don't even think it made any noises. I just thought the worker was a little loopy.

The last thing I want to add is that, after the incident where something banged on the closet door, I remembered back to something that happened when I was a teenager. Before I lived in that house, my older brother lived there. I was a teenager and he had just moved in with his pregnant wife. I remember shortly after they moved in, she confided in me that she thought the house was haunted because she would see the closet door knob rattle (the same closet door). At the time I didn't believe it was paranormal, I just thought maybe she was imagining things. I had completely forgotten about this until after what happened to me.

Within the next couple of months we are going to trade houses with my parents. They will be moving into our house, and we will be moving to their house to have more room for our expanding family. I really don't want my elderly mother to see any doors opening. She's already very nervous as it is.

I've already burned sage in the house and sprayed holy water. I wonder if there's anything else I can do? Can anybody tell me what they think this might be? I have no clue how to begin looking for a house's history. Input is gladly welcomed and appreciated. I'm sorry if this was a bit long. Thanks for reading my story.

Other hauntings by Butterfly_Kisses

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Butterfly_Kisses, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

earthangel0410 (10 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-09)
This a good story I have a similar problem, But I don't live in a house I live in a apartment. I would hear noises and and things rustling around in there, I had my apartment blessed and a week later the closet door opened around 6 inches so I keep most of my clothes out, Cause I fear the closet, my cats are always trying to get in there so I put a bunch of heavy things against it cause I'm afraid what might come out so your story really is scary for me at least. I was never afraid of closets before now I am and probably more scared after reading your story.Oh, I have a double door closet.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Sorry. Allesgute - didn't see the comment here. Well, I think for guidance on that you should contact one of the mods, either Miracles or zzsgranny. I believe they both have emails on their profiles. I suppose you could try contacting Martin (webmaster of this site), but I'd ask the mods for help first. They would know this site's protocol better than me.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
So tell me Val, whom should I approach if I want to help out on the editing front on this website? Any ideas?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Yep, Rook is a he.
Aww, allesgute, I don't know how much my small inputs 'help out', but as I also run my own site (s), I can really appreciate all the hard work that goes into it. So, I do what I can, as do many others.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Val, allesgute means 'all is well' in German. And yes, I do cringe at the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. I even noticed a 'guest' here who does not use 'full stops' at all. But then, I have seen worse stuff where I work 😁
Butterfly_Kisses (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Val (I'll take your advice and shorten the 'nic' 😉), Rook has kindly suggested I try his/her (?) recipe, so I will be trying that soon. Thanks.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Very true, BK. I think being able to comment, and 'dig a bit further' as it were helps validate what is being said. BTW - you should try Rook's cleansing, quite a few on the site have and swear by it.
At allesgute (AH!I just got that! Allesgute = all is good, right?) An editor at a newspaper? Ye gads, some of the writing here must have you cringing!
And, ladiues, please just call me Val. My whole nic can permenatly knot the fingers. 😆
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Thanks Butterfly_Kisses. She'll turn a year old next month. I love the fact that this site is very democratic. With people like valkricry, SDS, rookdygin, Miracles51031 and others keeping the peace and sanity intact. To the moderators, I would like to add that I'm willing to do editing work for them on an honorary basis. Please do revert guys!
Butterfly_Kisses (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
At allesgute, congrats on your baby. And I also love this site, I can't help but get on everyday and read a few stories. I just think its so great that people can comment on stories, and the writer can give their feedback. The way this site is designed just gives a little more authenticity to the stories.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
valkricry I haven't received any email intimating me of the rejection. I just thought it might be rejected (I know assuming makes an 'ass' out of you and me). Don't mind waiting. I understand that editing is a pretty thankless job, considering that I work as an editor for a newspaper myself 😁
Butterfly_Kisses (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
At Valricry, aww, aren't you just the sweetest?! Thank you for that ❤...by the way, love your poopy/pupi story 😆
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
allesgute, if your story was rejected, I believe you get an email telling you why. Sometimes, it just takes the mods awhile to wade through all the submissions. The page for that usually reopens on Mondays. (There's a lot that the mods do behind the scenes as well as have lives, so it can take awhile.)
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Thanks so much Butterfly_Kisses, and valkricry. That was very sweet gesture from both of you. I did see your response to my question Butterfly_Kisses, but forgot to reply. Sorry for that. I myself had my baby when I was 29. Keep writing sweets.
I love this site so much, kind of addicted (My husband keeps wondering what I'm reading with so much interest. He doesn't believe in the paranormal). In fact, today I was going to post a story, but found that posting has been stopped. The earlier story that I submitted seems to have been rejected. Well, I guess there's always a next time:)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Hi BK and allegute154,
No idea why allegute154's comment was dinged a point either. But since BK wanted allegute154 to have her point back, but lacked points and I couldn't fathom a decent reason to ding someone for an honest question; I'm giving allegute154 a point for BK. Everybody happy now? 😊
allegute, try not taking the negatives to heart too much, unless you get multiples on the same comment, then you might want to rethink what you said. Other than that - well, it's like a silent opinion. And sometimes it's just real bad eye to hand coordination.
Like you yourself said with a multi-national forum like this, we're bound to trip over something at some point, just like in life. When I was little (like 3 or 4) my brother-inlaw, who's Russian called me 'pupi' (poopy) which in his dialect meant 'little doll', well here poopy means something quite different and I was very, very upset! 😆 All that crying over a compliment! Geeze. But live and learn, eh?
Butterfly_Kisses (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
At allegute154, I did respond to your question in an earlier post, but since it was combined with other responses maybe you didn't see it. I'm in my early 30's, and I believe the next age bracket is middle age adult, so I'm probably grouped in young adult because I'm not yet middle aged. (btw, I just want to add that I wasn't a teenager when I had my child, I was 27. And I'm sorry you had a karma cut, you seemed sad about it, so I wanted to give you one back, but I couldn't since I don't yet have ten post)
Enjoy your day,BK
Butterfly_Kisses (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
At webbie, thank you for liking my story. The thought has crossed my mind that my mother may have had some idea, or "feeling" about the house. I once heard her say she didn't like the house, not because of how it's designed or how it looks, but "just because".
Also, thanks about the tips of the land records, I didn't really know where to start.
And Webbie, I can only imagine what must have been going through your mind when you saw your shed door opening and closing by itself. Can I ask if you've had any other experiences in your home?
Thanks, BK
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Thanks Miracles. Will keep that in mind. Cultural differences are bound to happen on this site:)
webbie (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Good Story, thanks for sharing it.
I think your mom already knows there is something in the house and that was the reason she wanted to stay with you at night.

You could try researching house history by finding out who your parents bought it from or search land records and your local courthouse. I am usually skeptical of this though because it doesn't always mean it is a previous owner doing the haunting but it is always good to be armed with more information.

For the door haunting, I can relate. I have a shed that the door would always open and I would constantly close it until one time at night, I walked outside and saw the door open and then I saw it slam shut in front of me. After that I put a pad-lock on it and it hasn't happened since.

I would venture that maybe the spirit just wants you to know it is there and acknowledging that may help. It sounds like you may have already solved the door problem in the house but rookdygin's method couldn't hurt either.
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Miracles-You're welcome! I also was visiting YGS on the sly this morning. 😊
Butterfly_Kisses (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
At Narella, thank you:), I just don't want my mom to get scared.
At Miracles, thanks for responding and letting me know the name of your story (I hope you didn't get caught 😉) I'm going to read it right now. Glad you enjoyed my story. I will be posting another story soon of my fathers experiences of when he lived on a haunted farm as a boy.
Butterfly_Kisses (2 stories) (16 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
At lochkalton thanks for the advice. I think I have heard the theory of using salt or rice. No harm in trying that.
At Argette and rookdygin thank you for your advice. I've heard of your cleansing/shielding recipe throughout this site, rookdygin, I will definitely try this. And thanks for the offer in answering any of my questions.
At Logan, my parents don't live here, but have owned it for the last forty years (it was built in the 40's). There hasn't been any deaths here in the last forty years, at least. And I agree with you, I'm so glad it didn't persist.
At allesgute154, I'm in my early 30's, and I think the next age group is middle age, so I guess that's why they grouped me with young adult. I'm not quite middle age yet lol
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Butterfly_Kisses - the name of my story, which Narella mentioned, is "The Scary." I'm at work right now, trying not to get caught, but wanted to say I enjoyed your story.

Narella, thank you 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
allesgute - don't worry about the karma points, okay? It really isn't worth bothering yourself about it.

Because YGS represents so many different cultures, it's natural to question something you aren't familiar with. To you, and many others (because this question has come up before 😉), having children at a young age may be unheard of or uncommon. Whereas in the States, it is not unusual for young teenagers to have babies.

We learn more from each other than just paranormal things, don't we? 😊
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
I wonder why my karma point was cut for an innocent query...?
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
I think it is great you want to take care of this before your mom moves in. One of the mods, Miracles, used a smudge stick to deal with a problem her grandson was having. I don't remember the name of the story, but you could find it on the YGS search feature. You might want to check it out. Logan's right about researching the history of the house. Facts can empower you in a situation like this.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Good to know soul_shine. It was just an honest query, no offence meant. I'm 30 and mom to an almost one-year-old naughty girl:)
soul_shine (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
allesgute154,
I am listed as "young adult" and I am 24, therefore I am old enough to have a child. Or several. I don't know how they group ages but maybe that will help. Probably from 18 to at least 25 or so is listed as young adult.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Ok, I just have a teeny-tiny doubt. Let me make it clear that I don't intend to disrespect anybody here. I was just curious as to how the writer can be a young adult and a parent at the same time. Can the moderators help me with the age brackets on this forum? How old does a person have to be to be slotted as a young adult?
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
Hey,

Thanks for that story.

You mentioned your parents owned this place for a while, might be a good idea to check with your dad on the previous owners and any possible history. I totally understand and agree no point getting your mom anxious over all this so better to not have this conversation with her.

At least I am glad it was not a stubborn consistent thing that happened all the time.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-17)
You asked for something other than smudging and holy water... Please try this method and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: