You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghostly Pets

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Pets

 

My boyfriend bought his home in 2008 and I moved in early February of 2010. When I came to live with him, he had 3 cats and I brought my cat with me. We had one tortie, one calico, one white and one orange in coloring.

Shortly after moving in, I noticed some rather odd things occurring. Such as meowing coming from a room that none of our cats were in. However, having several cats, I just shrugged it off. One morning, my boyfriend was getting ready for work and I was laying in bed. The cats were not allowed in our bedroom because of allergies, so when I heard meowing coming from under the bed, I asked my boyfriend to get the cat out from under there. We visibly saw the bottom of the comforter moving as if something was walking behind it, but when he got down and looked, there was nothing under there.

He then went out into the family room but left the door open. I felt something bumping the bottom of the mattress and told him that she (one of our cats) was back under there. He came back into the room and told me that all four cats were asleep on the couches. After hearing that, I quickly checked and found nothing.

A few days later, I was sitting in our family room on a couch that faces our bay window. Under the window are two mirrors at the back of two storage cubbies. I have long sheer curtains that hang in front of the cubbies. I noticed the curtains were moving a bit, but it was the middle of winter, so no windows were open. I glanced at the curtains and in the mirrors, I could see the reflection of a little brown tabby cat, but couldn't see the actual cat. Needless to say, I was a little freaked out about that.

Since then, we have down-sized to two cats, both of which are predominately white. I have see this little brown tabby on several occasions, as well as a large black cat. The brown one I usually see out of the corner of my eyes or will see it dead on, but by time I blink, it's gone.

The black one, however, I see much more often now. And he (I don't know for sure, but it looks like a 'he' to me) lingers before disappearing. About three months ago, he was just sitting by the front door.

And just a few nights ago, I was on the phone with a friend of mine, walking from my kitchen to my family room when the black cat walked right in front of me and disappeared into the wall next to my half-bath door. And my two-year-old son seems to also see him since he follows him saying "nice kitty" even when I can't see the cat.

I've gotten used to seeing them randomly, so they no longer alarm me. And even them being "ghost cats" doesn't scare me. When I hear random purring even though neither of my cats are in the room, I just kind of smile. It's kind of good to know that they're content even after they've passed on.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, IzabelleRenee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
I liked your story very much. Too many cat allergies in my home so we
Have 4 dogs. I have seen the spirit of one of our dogs whom we had when we lived in another house. My husband who is a skeptic saw him once also.
Great story.
Regards
Red
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
IzabelleRenee,
The next time family reminds you how weird you are, do like me: Say; "Better to be 'weird' and unique then 'normal' and boring." 😉
I quite enjoyed your narrative.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
IzabelleRenee, no need to fear... Your story certainly sounds genuine, and its a touching one as well! I am glad that your ghostly "pets" do not bother you - they are lucky to have found you as their keeper! 😁 (and hey, as an upside, you get all the fun, none of the hassle - no food or vet bills for the "extra" cats!) Oh, and no worries - I think we are all a little weird, in our own ways! 😉
Take care, and best wishes to you!
IzabelleRenee (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
I'm usually a little uncomfortable sharing my experiences with others so thank you for making it painless! (My family likes to remind me how "weird" I am)
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Dear IzabelleRenee, it is a nice story and thanks for sharing with us. It proves that the animals too, after they pass on, are able to come back to the world in their spiritual forms and make us see them, if we are sensitive. I feel that your pets might have attracted the two from the other side.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Woah what a great story that was! Good to know you like their presence while they enjoy your attention. Also, I am glad they cause no harm to you and your pets. Thank you for sharing.
-Shady
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
TalonWalt: 😆 Would've loved to have been a fly on the wall! It's almost like your other cats were enjoying your predicament, too 😆
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
When my cat Junior was a kitten, he had a habit of getting inside of the couch. He would climb down the side, and crawl all around. I would have to flip the couch over, in order to get him out. In 2009 I moved into my boyfriends apartment, and one day we were both off from work, just hanging out in our bedroom. We felt movement at the bottom of the bed, and looked to see what it was. We saw a big bump in the mattress at the foot of the bed. I was 100 percent sure that this was Junior, as he did such things! Our 3 other cats were on the dresser watching us. My boyfriend started gently prodding "Junior" back towards the bottom of the bed, and we watched as the bump started moving to where he was directing. I looked under the bed to see if I could see "Junior," and to help guide him out. I made a hole in the fabric underneath the mattress to pull him out. But he just wouldn't come out! So I had an idea, I'd open a can of cat food! Junior is a 30 pound tabby, and can't resist the sound of a can of food popping open. I opened the can, but he still didn't come out. So I placed it under the bed, still he didn't come out. So I went to the kitchen to get sliced turkey to see if that would work. When I got to the kitchen, I saw Juniors tail poking out of the living room curtain. He was sound asleep on the window sill! I went to let my boyfriend know that it wasn't Junior in the mattress. He was still prodding what he thought was Junior, and when I said it wasn't junior, the bump disappeared!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
I think that animals, even animals without a physical body, are drawn to pet-friendly homes. Interesting experience. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
IzabelleRenee - I enjoy stories about animal ghosts almost as much as I do human ones. I'm very glad you are comfortable with the cats and that their presence is acknowledged ❤

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
CearaIvory (2 stories) (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Your pets likely attracted the spirit or roused it from dormancy.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: