You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghost Dog Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Dog Or Something Else?

 

I've finally gotten brave enough to submit this experience to see if anyone else has had anything similar occur to them. I've submitted one story and thought I would go in chronological order with others but this recent set of experiences has me perplexed. This will take some preliminary explanations so be patient.

In the spring of 2010 life at my house was quite tumultuous. My daughter was planning on moving off with her then fiancé (now husband) to finish her last year of college; my son was graduating from high school and leaving for college in the fall and my husband announced as soon as our son had graduated he was moving out and wanted a divorce. As you can imagine this instant empty nest arriving had me upset and I was continually telling my basset hound, "It's just going to be me and you, Rosebud, me and you!" Unfortunately before my husband moved out, I came home one day to find Rosebud's back legs paralyzed. After trips to the vet and a lot of hours trying to nurse her back to health she passed away.

I would not generally even consider getting a new pet for a while as Rosebud's sudden death had just made a sad situation worse for me and my kids. But I could not imagine being in the house without any company after everyone moved on so a few weeks later (after my husband had moved out), I visited the shelters, interviewed dogs and found Maisy.

Maisy was 8 weeks old and weighed 4 pounds when I rescued her. She has slept in bed with me every night since then. I take her everywhere I can, we take rides in the car, go to the beach, she's loves the drive-thru at the bank because they send her treats. After the kids moved out she truly helped me keep my sanity and sense of humor. I tell you all this to let you know the circumstances in which she arrived and just how much we needed each other at that time.

So here's what has been happening. Several months ago I started noticing around the house what I thought was a dog out of the corner of my eye. Thinking it was Maisy I would turn to talk to her but nothing was there. First couple of times I dismissed it as my imagination but it started happening more often and I kept getting at least a glimpse of the tail. So I thought well I've got a ghost dog following me around maybe it's Rosebud just coming by for a visit except that the tail I kept seeing was furrier and brown.

I would be standing at the mirror in the bathroom when I would feel a cold nose nudge my leg. I would look down to see if Maisy was after the toilet paper roll... Nothing there. Another time in the bathroom I was standing at the mirror when the drawer I had pulled out next to me was bumped from below. I once again looked to speak to Maisy but nothing. (Maisy is now 50 pounds, very tall and brown/black brindle coloring. She has greyhound and dutch shepherd in her I'm told.)

The kicker was when I was calling her to go outside with me I saw her (Maisy) out of the corner of my eye come running up. I turned toward her and she was not there. I turned a complete circle certain that I had seen her. After searching the adjacent rooms for her with no results, I went looking for her in the back of the house. I found her very alert lying on the bed with her head up. It was then I realized that most every time I had an experience like this I had either called Maisy or was thinking about her. After going to look for her she would be in bed, on the couch or in her crate, awake looking at me when I walked in.

So I thought this is ridiculous! I believe people can astral project but can a dog?

Soon after, on a visit to my sister Bev's house, I told her about my latest experiences. I had told her about my ghost dog but not the latest developments. I always bring Maisy with me as she has a similar size dog and they like to play. When we are away from home Maisy likes to know where I am at all times. If we are separated by a door or gate she waits on the other side until I come back and then greets me like I've been gone for weeks.

I was outside in the garage later unloading groceries. Bev was in the house with both dogs. The dogs were at the door to the garage waiting for me to finish unloading so they could be let out. My sister has been able to see auras in people since she was young so that might explain this next part. As she was standing in the kitchen looking at the dogs she noticed Maisy was standing perfectly still just staring at the door. Now this is odd in itself as Maisy is rarely still, she is usually whining and scratching at the door when she's trying to get to me. My sister then noticed a light start shining around her muzzle; it grew brighter and then went through the door presumably to the garage where I was. I walked in soon after and Bev was still kind amazed and puzzled by what she'd seen. I didn't see anything in the garage so Bev and I aren't really sure what happened.

These occurrences have slowed down but still happen every once and awhile. You're free to speculate as to my imagination etc. But be kind. I would truly like to know if any of the more experienced responders have heard of anything like this or have an explanation.

Sorry so long... Thanks for reading though.

Other hauntings by cakelehde

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cakelehde, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mystery1 (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
well it could be a dog ghost if you think about it...[...serious]
arfulruf (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-21)
My dog Kryon is a rescue from our local pound. Basically he chose me. Well I've now had him for about seven months. I usually keep the sliding glass door open so he can come and go in and out at will. It also allows flies in but they leave at night. Well late one night I'm here at this site reading stories and he hears something and goes out then he comes back in then he goes out then he comes back in then he barks and goes back out. I keep the lights out and the only light in my room is this screen. Well as I was reading a story I see a white tipped tail moving around the room and think its him. I also see his outline in the dark room. Then I see him walk up to this desk and walk away and I see the tip of the tail again. A very short time later I hear my dog barking at something in my far backyard. There was not enough time for him to get down there. So I watched a bit closer and sure enough this dog comes back inside my room and walks around and I could again see his tail. Then Kryon started barking from the same place in the backyard as I watched the white tail tip parade about the room. I take things like this in stride as many unusual things happen here. Well I was still watching this astral dog walk around the room when Kryon showed back up. I was able to see both of them but it was too much to wrap my mind around and only my real dog remains.
Leslie81 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
Think that's called string theory. Its pretty interesting. And the astral projection that I mentioned was unintentional. But now I do often. Can understand not wanting to though. There are good parts, but there are also some bad things that can be frightening. I've been attacked more than once.
cakelehde (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
Leslie81 I try not to astral project. It terrifies me. But I'm old and set in my ways. Maisy is still confusing me. I see her go in the garage from the backyard, call her to go in the house and she runs in the garage from outside? I also wonder about parallel dimensions aspect...far-fetched to some but I am reading that physicist mostly agree that it is true.
Something to think about.
Leslie81 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-27)
Cakelehde, that sound very much like experiences i've had with my cat! I've had her since she was born. She's 15 years old now, very much a member of the family. I'll sometimes see her go one direction, but just a split second later see her somewhere she wouldn't have had time to get to. Cats are fast, but not THAT fast. I've also felt and seen (from the edge of my vision, a cat at my legs when i'm standing at the mirror putting on my make-up. Another thing is that i've been laying in bed before and felt her hop on the bed and start crawling toward me (even has happened when i'm on the phone while in bed, so sleep has nothing to do with it) but when I look, nothin is there. And she hasn't jumped down, because I would've heard her. I'm not sure if its a ghost cat or if its her astral projecting or what. Incedently, the first time I astral traveled and was aware of it (to make a long story short) she hissed when she saw me. I tried to pet her to comfort her, but couldn't touch her. My hands just went right through. I thought if I was back in my body I could touch her, and poof! There I was, back in my body.
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-27)
Wishfulnull, Junior, Talon, and Sydney are the only kittens from their litter. I had their mom from the time she was a kitten until about 3 months after they were born. Then one day I let her out to roam, and she got hit by a car and died. So I know she only ever had the one litter. The 2 possibilities of fathers for them was a brown and black tabby, and a pure white cat, as I never saw any other cats around. Their mom and the 3 boys are the only cats I have ever had. My boyfriend has only had 2 cats in his life, and both were black. Andie is still with us, and Smokey passed away before I ever met my boyfriend. So, I don't think we saw a ghost cat that night. If Sydney didn't astral project, then I have no clue as to what we experienced that night.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-25)
[at] Talon... Interesting - did Sydney have any other "brothers or sisters" from the same litter, who have the same coloring as her, who have passed away? If not, then so much for my theory...ah, well! 😳
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-25)
WisfullNull, I delivered Talon, Junior and Sydney. Their mom was a brown and black tabby, just like Talon and Junior. So I am sure its not their mom. The cat my boyfriend and I saw that night looked exactly like Sydney. And I've never had a cat who looked like him, neither has my boyfriend. Syd is mostly white, with a little of the brown and black mixed in. So I'm really hoping that Syd astral projected, because the alternative scares me.
cakelehde (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
By the way... TalonWalt and BadJuuJuu, your experiences would have really freaked me out. I have only experienced "seeing" Maisy when I am at the house alone.
cakelehde (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
Wow! Glad to see others with similar experiences. Whether this is Maisy with some extra ability or another dog's ghost, it has never frightened me. Just a bit confusing. Just after Rosebud passed away I would catch a glimpse of her white tail but this is definitely brown and furry like Maisy.

As far as a relative of Maisy's, as WishfulNull mentioned, it's possible. She was still with her mom and another sibling when I first met her at the humane society. I am not sure of their fate. Thanks for all of your responses.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
Really intriguing experiences! And it sounds like there have been other members here who have had animals project themselves, or somehow be in 2 different places at one time... (which, it would seriously freak me out if I saw that "in person" with my own two eyes!). It does sound like either Maisy has the ability to astral project herself, or you have another spectral animal living with you, that she is somehow sensing (like when she was standing so still, and when you had called her, you saw her "at attention".).

Another thought... Okay, its insane, but I always have to question things... I wonder if it's possible for an animal's relatives to come with them places, when they leave their birth-home...like, if a mother dog or cat has a litter, and one of the puppies' litter-mates/siblings don't make it, could the dog/cat who passed away & never got to grow up, somehow come to live with their now older brother or sister? This might account for similarities between the animal you have, and the one that is "seen"... And also be why the animals often don't seem threatened by the "newcomer"...to them, it just seems natural that their litter-mates would be around... If we as humans sometimes have those we loved come back to visit us... Why couldn't a dog or cat, who also certainly has feelings& emotions, not also have those they remember, come to keep them company/give comfort? Just throwing it out there, I really don't know. Anyway, thank you for sharing this, and best wishes to you! 😁
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
I really enjoyed your story, I personally have not experienced such incidents but I have heard similar stories years ago and I came to the conclusion that animals have spirits. Being a cat and dog lover, I hope to be united with my pets in the next life (sorry if it sounds silly). Your experiences are fascinating and let us know if it happens again.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
cakelehde,
Personally, I have not experianced anything like this - at least I don't think I have. But I do find it utterly amazing and interesting.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
Wow! Never ever heard of such a weird and touching story at the same time. It is sure going down in my favourites, along with the experiences of Talon and BadJuuJuu!
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
BadJuuJuu, I am glad to hear, that I am not alone in what I experienced. Had my boyfriend or I been alone when it happened, I am sure that we would have convinced the other that we were mistaken, but since we were both present that wasn't an option. One of my thoughts was that Syd astral projected, but I was also afraid that it could be something else, as I wasn't sure if animals could do so. I was afraid 'something' could be 'pretending' to be our cat. And that was a scary thought! Had it been Talon or Junior, we wouldn't have even given it a second thought. As we would just have assumed the cat on my lap was one, and the cat on the gate was the other. Because they look so much alike, hence Juniors name. But since this happened to you as well, it put my fears to rest. TY for sharing!
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am so sorry about Rosebud, its impossible to get over pets who have passed away. Trust me I know because every time I think of mine I still cry, its been 3 years now!

How weird that this has happened not just in your house but even in your sisters house.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
I do think it's possible for animals to astral project. It could be that Maisy (really cute name) was so interested in what you were doing that she just went to see, and didn't bother bringing her body along.
Sorry to off topic cakelehde, but Talon, you've made my day. You don't know how glad I am to hear someone else's cat has been in two places at once. One of ours did that, he was laying in the hallway and sitting in the bathroom at the same time. I stopped to pet him in the hallway, then went into the bathroom and bam! There's Gratch again. I could hear my hubby in the hall talking to the first Gratch while I'm in the bathroom with the second one. We petted both Gratches, they both looked, felt, and meowed the same. It was...bizarre.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
Oops! TalonWalt and I must have posted almost simultaneously. (TW, those are fascinating stories.)
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
Hi, Cakelehde. What a puzzling set of experiences! You, your sister and your dog Maisy sense the presence of a ghost dog; yet there's nothing to clearly suggest that it's the spirit of you previous dog, Rosebud. Rosebud passed away about three years ago, and presumably there were no signs of the spirit dog for a couple of years after she passed.

Could this be a different dog who once lived in your house? That would be my first guess. An alternate guess: Maybe you've unknowingly "rescued" another dog. On the plus side, no one seems frightened or disturbed by this canine presence. There doesn't seem to be a reason for encouraging it to move on.

Although I've encountered animal spirits, I'm no expert, so I hope one of the knowledgeable regulars on YGS will offer comments.
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-05-24)
I have experienced some things similar to this. One night I was on the couch on my lap top, when I noticed what I thought was my dog Nala run into the kitchen. My boyfriend saw the same thing. We both told her to get out of the kitchen, as she has a tendency to dig around in the trash. Right after we said that, we saw Nala standing near the living room window looking outside. So it wasn't her, nor my imagination. I do have another dog Walt, but he's a pug and was on my lap at the time. Now this next one gets even weirder. One night I was again on the couch on my laptop, and had my cat Sydney on my lap. I noticed my dog Nala near the baby gate, (we have it so the dogs don't go into our bedroom and eat the cats food, or worse dig around in the cat box) I looked up to see which cat she was terrorizing, and to my surprise it was Sydney! Now mind you Syd was still on my lap at the time. My boyfriend looked up to tell her to leave the cat alone, and I said, "Bill look at who is on the gate, now look at my lap." Who do you see in both places?" He said, Syd!" We only have one cat that looks like Syd. Had it been Junior or Talon we would have just assumed it was either of them, as they are both brown and black tabbies. But there is only one Syd! He was on my lap, and on the gate at the same time. I can't figure this one out! It definitely wasn't my imagination, as my boyfriend and Nala also witnessed this.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: