You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Smell Of Flowers

Real Ghost Stories

Smell Of Flowers

 

This is an account of the passing of my wife at our home. I got home around 1 AM and found my wife slumped over onto the couch and she was dead. I called the EMS, and upon seeing her they called the JP which pronounced her time of death.

I noticed a very strong smell of flowers like you smell when in a funeral parlor. I commented to the people there that I knew then why they have flowers at funerals. Death smelled like flowers to me. None of the people commented back to me when I said that.

Several hours later when all the people left with the body of my wife I opened the windows to try airing out the flower smell. I do not recall there even being a breeze coming through the windows. As I sat there on the couch by myself in silence an encyclopedia dictionary that was quite large suddenly just fell over on the book shelf that was full of smaller books. My wife really enjoyed her encyclopedia book set. I remember saying I know and goodbye.

I called work around 8 AM, and said I would be coming in to hopefully get my paycheck early. It was around 9 AM when I got there. I still could smell the flower scent very strongly on my clothes even though I had changed my clothes before leaving the house. I commented to some about the smell of flowers, but again nobody responded. By the time I had gotten back home the smell of flowers was gone from the house and my clothes. I have not had anymore strange happenings so I guess she crossed over, and is at peace wherever she is.

To this day I don't like a strong smell of flowers.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this at a time of death?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gman51, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-05)
gman
I am so sorry for the loss of your wife. Valkricry has once again has said what I would have. If you have not flipped through the encyclopedia dictionary yet please do so. She may have knocked it over because she may have left you a letter or message for you in one of the little books.
A few weeks after my father in-law died my mother in-law told my husband and I to take my father in-laws camera equipment as she had no use for it. We decided to look through all of the lens cases to make sure all of the lenses were in there. I think we got to the 3rd case and it was too light. We opened the case and found money rolled up in it. He would take any money from side jobs and hide the money he was paid there.
My mother in-law was so overwhelmed she asked me to count it. There was over $4,000 there. My father in-law was saving up for a trip to Alaska or Hawaii. My mother in-law gave us about $1,500 which of course we did not want to take but she called it a finders fee and told us to take it because we had 3 young children.
Again my condolences on the loss of your wife.

Regards
Red
sassymomma85 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-04)
I work in a nursing home and most times, when I am cleaning up a body, I can smell what I describe as flowers. It's a sickly sweet smell. I am very sorry for your loss by the way. Hope this helps.
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
Not the smell of flowers, but my grandfathers cologne when he passed. Thats how I knew he had passed. They are sending you a goodbye. 😁
myra (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
so sorry for your loss... I know its realy emotional to know someone so close...
As for the book falling I am sure it was your wife saying final goodby to you... Siprits uses things as a medium when they want to comunicate with the living... May her soul rest in peace.
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Oh wow. So sorry for your loss. I think that the smell of flowers was there because usually people give bouquets of flowers when in love and when someone has died. As for the book did it fall open at a certain page? If it did then mabye she wanted you to look at that page and if not then mabye she was just saying goodbye. Thanks for sharing. I know that must have been hard for you.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Dear gman51, first of all please accept my heartfelt condolences. It is really quite difficult to accept and digest someone, whom we loved so much, passed on. But I am touched by the way she told you good bye, first the smell of flowers, then the book falling and again even after you changed the shirt and went to office with the fragrance of smell following you. Great love and affection between you two.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Fransmum (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Hi gman51, I am familiar with this. It apparently occured after my Grandfather died. He died before I was born but Mum used to tell how the house was filled with the scent up to the funeral, and yet there were no flowers present. The neighbours commented when paying their respects. I think I experienced this about four years ago when I went to visit my Godmothers grave. I was walking with my husband towards the churchyard and suddenly we were overcome with the smell of cut flowers. Some of the graves had a few flowers on as is normal in a graveyard but nothing to account for the intense smell we were experiencing. My husband who is tall, even looked over the fences of a couple of gardens bordering the graveyard to see if he could account for it. I too could smell it on my clothes for half an hour or so after we left the area. It was very early in May and it was a cold dampish sort of day with no blossom or anything like that around to make sense of it in the 'normal' way. I took it as a sign and I think you should too. Best wishes.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Oh my goodness. Sincere condolences. You can treasure those moments of a fond fairwell, even though you don't care for flowers, she probably meant to be peacefull. You know the beautiful flowers die on the plant just before the fruit is born. Seems like she was trying to say this. For what it's worth.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-31)
Condolences and blessings to you, Gman51. I hope you can find comfort in knowing that your wife is still a caring presence in your own life story. ❤
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-31)
Sorry to hear about your loss and yes souls of beloved one's display their farewell to their living loved one's in this manner. May your wife rest in peace and may God help you and be with you in your time of grief.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-31)
gman, first I'm sorry for the loss of your wife. Loosing someone we love is never easy. Generally, when people report a certain scent, it's in connection with the person who has passed; a certain perfume/cologne, a favorite flower, tobacco/pipe, things of that nature. However, you don't mention your wife being a big flower fan.
Death smells like different things to different people. For me it's like meat gone bad, and I can smell it up to a week prior to someone's passing let alone afterwards. It's possible that you were the only one 'smelling' it, hence no one replying when you mentioned it. They simply didn't know what to say. Here's a bit of trivia that you may or may not know: the tradition of flowers at funerals and wakes began before embalming was widely used in order to help mask the smell of the body decomposing. It is possible that your subconcious has made the connection of flowers and death, and was manifesting this smell, if you had attended funerals when young.
It is just as possible, that for you this is how death smells. Unless you've dealt with death before, I'm not sure what criteria you would use to determine this.
The book falling over...yes, I'd like to believe that that was her saying goodbye to you. Treasure that. An odd thought just crossed my mind - did you ever flip through that particular volume to see if she had either left something in it, or if there was something there she wanted you to see?
I know this was difficult to share with us, thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: