You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Whisperers

Real Ghost Stories

The Whisperers

 

This happened Sunday night. There have been reports of break ins in our neighbourhood so I decided to sleep in our living room to make sure Dad is safe (his room is downstairs). I kept my 1911 within easy reach for extra protection in case someone did break into the house.

On Sunday afternoon my brother dropped by and stayed for the night. He volunteered to sleep in the living room. I couldn't be any happier, I could sleep in my room again after several nights of trying to get a decent sleep on the couch.

It didn't take long for me to doze off. Being a light sleeper that I am, I was awakened by whispering at the foot of my bed. I knew there was more than one "person" there and they seemed to be arguing. Sensing that they could be burglars, my combat experience kicked in. I jumped out of bed and pointed my cocked pistol at the source of whispering only to find out that there was no one there... But the whispering continued on. As soon as I switched all the lights on, the whispering stopped. I searched the entire room but found no one. I went downstairs to check, again there was no one there, just my brother happily snoring on the couch.

I went back to bed and not long after I closed my eyes, the whispering resumed. They didn't seem to miss a beat, they were still arguing or so I guess. This time I tried to listen but I couldn't make out what the "conversation" was about. There was a lot of 'K' and 'Z' in whatever language they were using, it was totally foreign to me. Then the whispering stopped and just as quickly I heard foot falls on the hallway. What was odd though was that, although I could hear foot falls, there was no creaking of the floorboards. Our house is old (to our standards anyway) and any movement along the hallway, slight or otherwise, generates a "complaint" from the aging floorboards. I didn't bother to check what was outside, I knew exactly what I'd see - nothing.

The next day over breakfast, I told Dad, my brother and Tess, our house help about what I heard. This spooked Tess that she didn't dare go upstairs that day.

Other hauntings by Marine

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Marine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
I look forward to reading anything you decide to share! Thanks for the response
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
Hi Pete16 - I have been away from YGS far too long, been extremely busy with work.

I have only witnessed full bodied apparition twice, once while I was still in active military service (I'm still deliberating whether to have this experience published or not) and the other in the hotel I used to work in as a night shift supervisor.

Motly I hear things, disembodied voices, footfalls, singing, etc. I often look for mundane reasons to explain these but sometimes they simply defy any logic.

Shadows, yes, I have seen quite a few. Some are fleeting and from the periphery while others (like in the Congress Plaza Hotel in Chicago) full bodied. They don't usually last more than 2 or 3 seconds though.

I am hoping to submit additional experiences with photos as soon as I have a bit more time.

Thanks for the comment
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-25)
Marine, I'm hoping you have more experiences to share with us soon. I really enjoy reading your stories! You said in the story you wrote about Chicago that you have or do see shadow figures. Is this at your house in the Phillipines? I ask because, from what I gather, your experiences there seem to be more audible (while people like your aunt have seen things). Anyway, I'm just looking forward to reading more about your house and your experiences:)
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-03)
Hi Valkricry - I don't really know much about the history of our area. Cebu City was razed down to the ground during the war and some records, if not all, were destroyed. It's a pity really because this city is over 500 years old.

I certainly will do more research and thanks for pointing out where to start.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-03)
Marine, let us know of anything you find out. The elders of your town would be the ones to talk to.
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
Hi Valkricry - I'm not sure if the grounds where the house now stands was part of the Japanese encampment. I'm basing my claim about the camp from the older people I talked to who still reside in the area. I also heard stories from them about guerilla prisoners and American sympathizers who were subjected to "water treatment" in this very camp. From the house to the hospital is probably a good 10 minutes walk.

You've peaked my interest. I'll see if I can glean some more information. Thanks!
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
*Playfully bops Marine with a foam rock* What? You've heard those footsteps and whisperings before? Why didn't you say so! That's an important detail - it qualifies it as not being an isolated event.
How far away from your house was that encampment? Is it possible that your house (the ground) was part of the camp?
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-02)
Hi Valkricy - Sorry about that, by 1911, I did mean the legendary browning pistol. There was indeed a Japanese camp not too far away from where the house now stands. It was apparently bombed when the American Army liberated Cebu. It became a depot for the US Army surplus equipment after the war and was eventually converted into a hospital that still stands today.

I was very tired. Working during the day and getting very little sleep at night was taking its toll I guess. But it wasn't the first time I heard whispering in the house, though it was the first time after a very long time. It was also the first time that I listened to it intently.

Hi Fergie - the footfalls could be residual. We have heard it in and around the house, also in the basement.

Hi Swimsinfire - I tend to agree with Fergie's suggestion that what I heard could be triggered by anxiety. With several reports of break ins around us and Dad being old as he is and unable to defend himself, I was anxious. Thats probably also the reason why I couldn't get any decent sleep... It was not the couch 😆
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Ah "spirited arguing". I can certainly relate to that. Think I agree with the agro triggering a response thing. You can, once you get in a composed frame of mind, maybe do whatever is considered respectfull in your area, ask them why they're there and invite them to go to the light. Good luck.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Hi Marine,
Ok, first off try and remember there's a heck of a lot of us 'civies' who just aren't going to know that a 1911 is a handgun. At least that's what I THINK you were talking about. 😆
Too bad you couldn't make out even one word of what was being whispered. Even a phonetic spelling might help sort out the language spoken. WWII both Germany and Japan invaded, so it is possible that you heard German, add to this that the 1911 was used back then too, and I think coupled with the anxiety it could have triggered a haunting- residual or intelligent. If it repeats, you might try saying: "Dada" and "Wer ist da", Japanese and German respectfully for 'Who's there?' and see if something responds. (Since Japan occupied, I tend to lean that way.) Interesting that the whispering stopped when the lights turned on. I doubt that such an action would affect a residual haunting. But, I am NOT 100% sure on that.
You might do a bit of research and see if there was an encampment nearby, during WW2.
Another aspect that we must consider; you mentioned having several nights on the couch and looked forwards to a decent night's sleep. Just how exhausted were you? Is it in the least possible that this was a sleep remnant? Part of a dream that plays out once awake?
Very interesting event. Poor Tess - she may never clean upstairs again.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
Hi Marine, Do you think the voices and footfalls could be residual in nature? As for the language that was being whispered, the only one I can think of (that I am familiar with) is German. Has your house or town any history of Germans at any time?

I am going to throw a question out here: Is it possible for a residual haunt to be precipitated by an event or anxiety?

Thank you for sharing Marine, that was most curious.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: