You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: A Change Of Face

Real Ghost Stories

A Change Of Face

 

Second of my many small and somewhat random experiences in my life, but a considerably more dark one, and perhaps classed more as a loved one's experience. And admittedly a more tricky one to tell.

Once again taking place a few years back in my small creaky house in the woods. (If you've not seen my first experience, it has some background information on me. I lived out of town in my early twenties with my partner of a few years in a little cabin complete with its own eerie woodland surroundings.) I was going through a time in my life where I was all askew in my thoughts and unsure of my direction and existence. As we all sometimes are.

I was uncharacteristically moody and being a bit negative, perhaps even playing it up a little just to annoy others, and generally not the most fun person to be around. Causing arguments with my beloved and entertaining darker thoughts just for passing time. Now I never would do, nor have I done, anything disrespectful nor dark in a paranormal sense, as I know better and I respect everything unseen and unknown. However, even after denying this experience somewhat and questioning its validity even to myself, I feel there is a possibility that sometimes darker things can slip through you without you inviting them consciously, purely just by being a negative battery and entertaining the negatives in life. And this may be just that.

On the night of this experience I was being broody and playing up unkindly. When he got to the stage he no longer wanted to deal with my grumpy shenanigans, he went to bed and turned all the lights off. By this time it was early morning and admittedly I was being a downright pain, so I went into an angry and strange little place in myself and got a bit lost laying there in the dark. I cannot really explain what happened next. I just recall him turning me around in the dark to face away from him and knowing I was definitely not asleep to rule that out. I then remember being crushed to him and being held so tight for what seems like hours but he wouldn't let me turn to him. I remember it as it was so unlike him, a gentle soul, crushing me. I fell asleep eventually and the next day, in my embarrassment, and in his nonchalant way we passed it off and left it as me being a grump.

Many, many months later I took my partner along with me to a small gathering of close friends (who are also interested in paranormal things). As the night wore on we ended up on this very site, reading stories aloud and discussing all things spooky... My partner open to, but not enthusiastic about, the paranormal went quiet when it turned to personal experiences. Asked if he had anything to share, he said he did but in a way that caused me to look at him in alarm, as he looked somewhat uncomfortable when saying so. I was also amused as I didn't know he had any stories and I was sure he would have told them to me as he knew I was interested in these things.

After a little persuading for him to come out and tell, he looked away from me and said to my friends in not quite these exact words, but to the effect of: "I have watched her face change into a snout with teeth" whilst pointing at me. I was shocked and thought it was a joke, but his face and voice wasn't joking, and he was not by any means a storyteller nor embellisher of tales. That is a fact that I can attest to. Or I would have then and there just shushed him.

But then that weird night came to mind.

My friends probed again, and I had to know. What he recalls was different to the innocent, if slightly strange, version I recalled. Where I had laid down and entered my zone of darkness, he had been awoken from his light sleep by supposed low growling noises. He shook me and I fell quiet, allowing him to return to asleep soon after. He was awoken once again and witnessed (this part made skin crawl and unnerved me, and filled me with sadness and guilt for a time after) crouched on top of the bed covers against the wall the bed sat against, facing him but looking down. (Once again not something he would ever intentionally make me feel bad about by telling an untruthful account.) He reached over to me and advised he wasn't amused by my games, but when no answer came, he sat up and became concerned. Then to his shock, his beloved partner looked up and the face he knew began to warp. He described with pain in his face, the snout that he had seen superimposed over my face, the pointed teeth flashing in a grin so wicked, before anything more could come to be, he grabbed me as hard and fast as he could with genuine fear and turned me to face away from him but pulling me into a hold. That's where I came back, being held so tightly not allowed to turn around and silence. (He would later tell me that he had been too afraid to let me move.)

I was shocked after hearing this but somehow felt like I knew it already. I was confused and laughed it off unconvincingly telling him he was a terrible storyteller. But I knew him well, and I knew the face he pulled and the way he wouldn't ever bring it up again made me think he wished he hadn't opened his mouth.

It could always fall down to an attempt at him telling a tale but I know him, others don't, so that's something I can only personally believe. It could also have been him dreaming, if it weren't for my recollection of the start and finish and the weird feeling I knew the story. And recalled it. But at the end of the day I never labeled what it was. I don't believe I had anything on, in, or over me, maybe mostly because I don't want to believe that's possible. But years on I don't mind it and I don't give it too much thought. But if I do I wonder if perhaps there is a way that an image could be projected to another by thought? A super imposing rather than anything else... I don't really know with this one.

I have since been given, by my mother, incredibly strong faith in Saint Michael the protector and warrior against evil things so I've not had any issues like this ever since. He's got my back and the nasty and wicked fear him. But it is an interesting one.

I don't speak much with my ex-partner anymore, but I really respect someone who can witness that happen to their beloved, alone, in the dark and not run nor fight, but to hold them until they are back where they should be.

Other hauntings by Fairylights

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fairylights, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

adwait (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-06)
Why did you leave your partner? Just curious. Good story tough.
galatea_project (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Hey there, first time posting. Fairylights, I am glad you got through that dark period of your life and were able to share your story so eloquently. Something similar happened to someone very close to me, but in their case the face was more like a snake and was accompanied by the smell of bleach. Did your ex ever mention any strange odors? I believe your ex's positive influence triggered the physical manifestations in the way that a hot compress can cause an infection to rise to the surface. His goodness sort of served as an irritant that made the malignant entity reveal itself. When my loved one displayed more dramatic symptoms I learned demonic entities can gain entry with much less than a formal invitation. Keep up the fight and peace be with you.
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
This story was really hard to follow, it seemed to drag out and the part with the stage I didn't really get. Creepy though, after reading it about 4 times I got into it.
Fairylights (3 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Once again thanks all for your ideas and comments, I tell things as they are matter-of-fact because I believe all the fluffing up and drama of stories is actually less interesting than the truth.

Miracles; I'm not sure my partner had a gift more than I think I opened his eyes to something we all block out.

In answer;

The incidents that have occurred through my life were before and after, as well as during my time with him, from around fifteen to my 23 years now I've been acquiring experiences. Less so when I was a teenager so I'm not entirely thinking even the 'moody teen' stage could be bought up here as an excuse. That said the negative, only happened once or twice, alone and with him but all around that time as I had a lot on my plate and have since learned from that time in my life lessons that make this no longer occur
Nathaniel (37 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-06)
I have heard of people temporarily appearing to look like someone else before, but I have never heard of something like this.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-06)
Some time ago, my uncle and aunt were having problems with their rebellious teen-aged daughter, and say than more than once they could see the girl's face turn into the face of a cat while in her worst temper tantrums. At that time I thought that was impossible, though I knew they were not the kind of people to make up such sort of a story... I guess I was wrong!

Thanks for sharing.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-06)
Hey there! This story definitely was an awesome read. Amazing how you narrate every inch of it, giving me the tiniest feeling. Lucky as you are, you had him with you at that moment who rather chose to stand your ground instead of pacing away. His bravery, much appreciated. I have the same questions as Miracles, will love to have answers. Thank you.
-Shady
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-06)
I've read this narrative THREE times and I'm just dumb-struck by it.Amazing.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-06)
what a brave guy and interesting story. He is a good friend indeed.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-05)
Er?!... I really wonder how much of what we think is put upon us in life, is actually created by our own thoughts. I have a friend who says he sees morphed faces on people and even objects and trees. It seems like a gift. You had an awesome friend. Good story.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-05)
What a riveting story, Fairylights! I'll be interested to read your answers to Miracles' excellent questions.
I hope your ex-partner knows that you admire him for his courage and loyalty. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-05)
Fairylights - I really enjoyed your first story, but this one? Wow! And holy crap! Okay, I think I'm done...nope...geesh! 😨

The first thing I want to say is I really, truly enjoy the way you present your experiences: matter-of-fact, no "Hollywood" drama, just laying it out on the line, "This is the way it happened to the best of my recollection." I honestly enjoy that. You could have made a whole movie out of this and chose not to. That I appreciate 😊

My honest opinion? And it truly is just an opinion, based on nothing except my thoughts and they sometimes change as quickly as I type LOL. But I think some"thing" picked up on your "mood" and latched onto you. And I also believe your ex-partner is very gifted. I don't believe everyone would have been able to see the morphing that took place or heard the growling. I think you were very fortunate, lucky, whatever word you want to use, to have had him during that time.

Just a question or two, though. Did these types of incidents end when you and he parted ways? Did they only occur when you lived in that home?

Thanks for sharing another experience with us.

(I might not be done with questions and/or comments LOL.)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: