You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A One-time Visit

Real Ghost Stories

A One-time Visit

 

I was 7 or 8. I lived with my mother, father, and little brother. My father was in the military, U.S. Army. My mother was unemployed. We lived on a military base in Kansas. My mother told my brother and I that we were going to Mississippi to visit our family. At the time, my father was deployed overseas in Kuwait or somewhere in the middle east. He was a part of the first operation in Iraq.

The day before we made the trip to MS, my mother, along with my brother and I, stayed at a friend's house. This friend was Miss Tina, as we called her, she also stayed on the same base as we did. Miss Tina had two daughters, one was 16, the other was 7, I believe. Miss Tina had a husband, he was also deployed overseas. So we had two boys and four girls under one roof that day. That night, I stayed with the younger daughter in her room. She had a bunk bed in which I stayed on the bottom bunk. Now, this room was a typical girl's room, pink with a lot of Barbie stuff. We had gone to bed with the light on. I was 7 or 8, so it was necessary. In the middle of the night I woke up. When I slowly opened my eyes, I saw a tall figure standing under the light. I could not see any features of this figure, other than it was tall and thin. Without thinking I closed my eyes and fell back asleep.

The next morning I had remembered what had happened. I asked my mother and Miss Tina if they were in the room last night. They laughed with their answer which was a no. I pondered that moment realizing that this figure was tall. Nobody in the house was over 5'1". The figure was unnaturally dark in a lit, pink room.

I have never had this happen since. I have never mentioned this to my mother since. Do you think I should talk to her about it now that I am older or should I put it off like I have for the last 10 years?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Mississippi

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RadicalToast, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
Hi RadicalToast, yes talk to your mom about it she might have had similar experiences. While growing up in my family, my parents would never admit that the paranormal existed and this was very difficult on my brother and I because we knew different. When my children were young, I also took my mother's path so whenever the kids talked about the paranormals I deny it as well. I just didn't want to see my children frightened. My intentions were from my heart out of love and concern but what is more frightening is when a child sees and hears things and adults deny it making the child feel like they'r crazy. As for my opinion on the shadow that you saw, its tricky because it happened in the middle of the night when you were awaken. It could have been only a dream and you haven't seen it since then. Anyways, good luck with Mom and take care.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-03)
What is it with military bases? Many strange things seem to be reported from these locations.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-01)
Hi RadicalToast, to put something that puzzles you away for ten years is a very long time. I would recommend you to talk to your mother... Get it off your chest for once and all. I'm a mother too and if I was in your mothers' shoes I would love my daughter to come and talk her heart out-that is why mothers are there for to care, love and comfort their children. Thanks for sharing. Take care Trix. 😉
tinohoang (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-27)
mothers would obviously say No to their 7-8 year old so they won't scare you. My mom always did that but now that we are older (me and my sister 23 and 26) my mom now tells us about a bunch of scary stories that happened throughout the houses we lived in (me and sis definitely knew it they were haunted, we werent stupid). But parents say nothing happened or don't want to tell us because they don't want to scare us (you know it would if she told you stories at 7-8 years old).
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-25)
Hey there! Just like the other posters here, I too believe you should talk it out with your mom rather than keeping it pressed inside you. I don't think you should abstain from talking about it since she is your mom and she is probably the best one to help you out. Like Val said, maybe you weren't the only one visited that day and since your mom answered with a no even if she had experience something that same night (just an assumption), she probably didn't tell you because you were too small to discuss about such topics. Feel free to talk to your mom, keep us updated. Thank you.
-Shady
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-22)
You'd be surprised at the amount of things your family totaly agrees with but is afraid to share, because they don't know they totally agree. I vote talk to Mom.
tinohoang (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-21)
you should definitely discuss it with your mom. Who knows maybe there is a story behind it.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
Hi RadicalToast, welcome to YGS. With only one encounter, it is difficult to classify it as a paranormal sighting or otherwise. Still, as suggested by Val, you can discuss with your mom now, if she believes in paranormal or atleast if she is open to such discussions. If anything comes up, please keep us informed.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-19)
RadicalToast, if it bugs you and your mom is open to such things, I don't see why you shouldn't talk it over with her. You might be surprised, it's possible you weren't the only one visited that night.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: