You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Man In The Brown Suit

Real Ghost Stories

Man In The Brown Suit

 

I work in a nursing home, and due to HIPAA regulations, I will not include names or my location. We have a "ghost" man that is seen during periods of death. What I mean by periods of death is usually we have residents die in sets of 3, 6, 9, and occasionally 12. It's unfortunate and scary, but when our resident "angel of death" that we refer to as "the man in the brown suit" is seen, I can't help but get an extremely uneasy feeling.

Sometimes he is seen by the person whom passes, but usually he is seen by persons whom do not. He is always described as a male, with white hair, wearing a brown suit, hat, and tie. The residents that see him are very frightened.

Normally, he simply passes by their room and looks at them. Occasionally, it has been reported he comes out of the closet, or through the wall, or simply been sitting in a chair in their room. Once, he asked a resident what the time was. Another time a blind woman described him in detail. I would not have believed it, had I not already heard the stories.

He is seen during all hours of the day, but more often at night; however, every time he is reported as being seen, someone passes away. Nurses and CNA's have seen him as well, like walk into a room, but then he is gone when they investigate. I personally have seen a shadow in the corner of my eye, but it disappears when I turn to look. For that I am thankful because I do not want to see him... I would probably quit.

I just wonder who he is and what he wants? It's creepy. Could he really be taking people to the other side? I'm not sure if it is him or not, but sometimes call lights will go off by themselves and once a bed started raising while I was changing a resident without me pushing the button. Perhaps it is more than one ghost.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sassymomma85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hellsynki (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-30)
When I was a small child I had an imaginary friend who was a man wearing a brown suit with a brown derby hat. I didn't think anything of it until I mentioned it to my family and they didn't think it was normal. I've always been able to see ghosts and what not but it never occurred to me until the last few years that maybe my old imaginary friend was actually a ghost.
Paperdoll8319 (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-16)
I know this was posted years ago but I had to comment that IVE SEEN HIM AS WELL. One night I woke up to go to the restroom and he was standing right beside me by me bed... Brown suit and like a brown derby looking hat... I feel like my cousin died right after and Maybe he was there to tell me but he didn't say anything I think because I was scared... I almost woke my husband up. I haven't seen him since. But if he's going to help with my ability to know when others are going to die (I have a knack for it anyway) then I welcome him to come back... Real life...
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-07)
Realistically, I think the "death comes in threes" thing might be a matter of perception. (Though, ironically, I argued the other side of this question just a couple of days ago.) In other words, whenever two bad things happen close together we wait for a third. Then, when something does eventually happen, we connect it.

I say this because I was remembering several years ago when three very similar actors died, as I recalled, one right after the other. I went back to check my memory before posting about it. Bob Denver (who played Gilligan) died 10/02/05 and Don Adams (Maxwell Smart) died 10/25/05. Don Knotts (Barney Fife), though, didn't die until five months later on 2/24/06. So is that connected or just a coincidence?
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-07)
Sassymomma, it isn't just nursing homes. Death/tragedy always seems to come in sets of three. Some people claim that 3 is a mystic number.
sassymomma85 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-07)
Thank you all for your feedback! I am going to agree with those of you who suggested this man is a guide for the souls crossing over. I don't think he is here to intentionally scare us. I appreciate all your comments and support! If anything else happens, I will update. Does anyone know why nursing home deaths happen in sets of threes?
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-05)
What a very creepy story. That's very interesting to think that a blind woman could describe him in detail. I am wondering if this entity is malicious in any way, because of the fear you describe. Maybe, he is just a warning Spirit as such.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
AussieChick95 (10 stories) (40 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Creepy story, I love it. But would hate to be someone working a night shift there. I agree with elfstone810, it will help you narrow down a period of time, then maybe you could figure out who this man is... Good luck and stay safe
😉
crf1997 (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Hmmm, maybe this is a less monster like version of the grim reaper?
I don't know...
But this story is very creepy, and unlike you I would just quit anyway after hearing all those stories about the man in the brown suit even if I had never seen him. I am a chicken though.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Hello sassymomma85, that was a nice narration and thanks for sharing your and others' experiences/sightings as well. Elfstone810 second post has given you a lot of work to do and research, if you wanted to actually have a hint of what or who it is in the suit with a hat. In fact, I wanted to tell you to maintain a journal with some notings about the passing away of people. But elfstone810 has given a great insight into as to how people should concentrate on paranormal research. Great work friend, elfstone810. My appreciation for your insight.

Sassymomma85, if you find out anything from your research, kindly post it.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-30)
I was just reading a database of British ghost stories and I came across an entry for a ghostly nurse at St Thomas Hospital in London whose appearance foretells a death.

Reading everyone's comments, it seems to me there are two types of entity at work. One type is a comforting specter seen only by the dying and perceived as an angel or a departed loved one.

The second type is like the OP's man in brown, Val's sisters' ghosts, and the nurse in London -- an unknown person who appears to random people before a death takes place.

What I'm wondering now is if these death omens are sentient or if they're residual hauntings somehow triggered by the presence of a dying person? If they are sentient, are they or were they human or are we dealing with some form of supernatural being that maybe feeds off death somehow? If they were / are human, what caused them to become a death omen?

Always I have more questions than answers!
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-29)
Reminds me of what the pastor at my great uncle's funeral said.

He said that my great uncle had been sickly, obviously so during services, and had been slowly getting better. The pastor had thought to go over to his house and try to cheer him up a bit as being sick will bring anyone down.

While there, my great uncle asked the pastor to go get them a cup of iced tea each. When the pastor got back to the room with the drinks, my uncle looked right at him and said, "Isn't she pretty?"

When the pastor asked who he was talking about as he could only see my great uncle and himself in the room, my great uncle looked at him and said, "The angel that's come to take me home."

The pastor said right after saying that, my uncle fell out of his chair already deceased.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-06-28)
sassymomma,
I don't know if this is related, but your story sounded a bit familiar to me. And then I recalled both of my older sisters (both retired RNs) had told me similar stories about the hospitals where they had worked. The one (they're twins so it can get confusing) had worked in a VA hospital, and she said many claimed to see a 'visitor' at odd hours, right before someone passed. The other had worked at a Catholic hospital, and there it was an old nun in full habit that would pass through. Could these be angels of death? I don't think anyone knows for certain. But, in a strange way, is not the thought comforting? If someone comes for us, when we pass, then no one ever really dies alone. We tend to think of death as something to be feared and fought against. But what about when the pain and quality of life outweigh what joy a body has? Would death not be welcomed then? And perhaps, they only come for those who are ready to go. Who knows?
biolizard987 (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-28)
For me, this ghost isn't scary. One day I hope to see it. He probably wants something. If I saw it, I would ask him what he wants.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-28)
Interesting information. Wonder if it works like that in hospitals also. Thakyou.
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-28)
Interesting story, sassymomma. I also work in a retirement home and death comes in threes there as well and you are right it is pretty eerie hah 😨. I have heard of people knowing when they were about to pass and seeing some kind of apparition, but the man in the brown suit is different. I think someone else also said this but it would be interesting to find out how long people have reported seeing him there. Or researching if there have been othèr similar encounters with him anywhere else. Hmm, thanks for sharing! 😊
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-26)
Sassymomma, I believe that when people die and accept their death and passing they could come back as guides. My father visited my mother in a dream and told her he is alright but that he cannot stay long, because he is needed by another family who needs help and guidance. This man you tell of could be someone who is there top help them cross over. He may scare the people who sees him, but who wouldn't be if they are faced with an entity that is seen around the time when people die. Unless he has caused harm I see him as innocent.

Thanks for sharing
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-26)
Any explanations I could offer at this point would just be wild speculation, but I can think of a few lines of inquiry to suggest.

First, try to get a more detailed description of his clothing. This might mean asking your coworkers to try to take note if they see him again. Look for things like, what kind of hat does he wear? Can you guess at what material his suit is made of? How wide are his lapels and are his trouser legs straight, tapered, or flared? How wide is his tie and can you see any pattern on it? You say he has white hair, so you can see his hair under the hat? Can you tell what kind of haircut he has? Is he clean shaven?

I realize it's a lot to ask someone, that they be this observant during what sounds like brief encounters when they're probably freaked out. The point is to look for things that can help you date him.

I also suggest you keep a log of sightings. Note where they took place, who saw him and for how long and if he appeared to be aware of them. Write down the weather conditions and the lighting conditions where he was seen. If a death follows the sighting, take note of anything you can without violating HIPPA, even if it's just the fact that there was a death and where it happened relative to the sighting. If possible, the decedent's age and gender might be helpful, as well as whether the death was sudden or expected.

The point of all this is simply to gather information so you can look for patterns.

Sorry! Didn't mean this to turn into a book! Good luck and I'll help any way that I can.
sassymomma85 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-26)
A friend of mine has worked there for eleven years, and heard about him when she started, so I'm not sure. The facility is around thirty-five years old. I don't think the people who see him know a death follows his appearance; they are just frightened. I want to clarify though: residents do not always report his appearance before someone passes away; however, any time he is reported being seen, a death follows very shortly after. (Usually within hours.) Thank you for your questions! I would like to know what is going on!
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-25)
Creepy story and I don't blame you for being nervous! I don't really think I can offer any insight based on what you've told us so far. Can I ask a couple of questions?

You said that the residents who see him are frightened. Are they frightened because they know his appearance presages a death or is he just scary by himself?

How far back do his appearances go?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: