You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: In Your Dreams

Real Ghost Stories

In Your Dreams

 

This story is admittedly an account of a dream but I feel it could take place on this site as it's a dream of almost paranormal circumstance. It's a simple "weird" and somewhat inexplicable one; it's a quick one but an interesting little read.

I had a dream a few years ago that was much, much more vivid than the rest and very realistic. I recall, even in my dream, I was aware I was dreaming. I was in my house that I currently live in, and for some reason in my mother's ensuite/bathroom. An elegant, elderly woman was there, as well (in no way was she familiar to me but I was not at all wary). I went to sit with her on the floor and observed her. She smiled and was every bit the tall, thin, elegant elderly lady you would expect to see in an old English stately manor. Not the four foot tall, white haired, wrinkled elderly lady we often think of as a stereotypical grandma. She had slightly longer, dove colored hair and a blue dress, she spoke to me in a distinctly soft voice and had long elegant hands and fingers. She asked me if I wanted to hear her play the piano. I, of course, was happy to be played a few tunes and was amazed at her talent. She smiled and exclaimed she was so happy she could play her favorite songs again as the piano bought her joy.

The dream didn't end as such, more just I recall being awake afterward, no fade out or events after the piano playing that I can recall. I went downstairs in the morning and saw my mother speaking with my grandmother. They seemed deep in conversation so I nodded and left them talking, but it didn't escape my attention my grandmother's sad eyes.

Later, once my mother returned upstairs an my grandmother had left, I asked what was wrong with Grandma. It appeared she was upset over the news that her dear friend of many years had passed after a long suffering ailment. I somehow wasn't shocked as I felt I already knew, although this was news to me. Mother advised it wasn't a friend of Grandmas I had ever met nor seen as she lived far away. But I said no matter, I had seen her, I was sure, the night before. I described without being advised beforehand; her specific look and mannerism and also the piano playing. Mother was astounded and advised it all matched up and yet I couldn't have known.

I somehow didn't feel amazed, just as though I knew this lady. Mother didn't know the song, it was that I hummed that was played for me, so I just left it as perhaps a goodbye visit from this lady to the one person who could receive it from the other side. That's what my mother suspected it was... So I went along with the idea.

The next time I spoke with Grandma a few weeks later, she spoke of her friend and I asked whether she had a song that she liked (that by that time I had forgotten the tune to). My grandmother then scurried off and bought back a tape case, humming me the tune. It was the familiar sound of the song I had been played. Grandma then went on to tell me that her dear old friend had played piano so well but wasn't able to in her last few years due to her ailment, something that had been a source of sadness for her.

As this all came together and my grandmother reminisced, a large leaf that was tacked to my grandmother's wall fell down to the floor (the leaf was there because my young brother would often go to the park and collect large leaves that looked pretty and that were somehow interesting. He collected her all sorts and all shapes of pretty leaves as it was his thing as children do have curious habits, and my grandma would proudly tack them to her wall with him as trophies, as grandmas do).

The leaf's significance, though, was its type. Of all the leaves, maples, jacaranda and gum tree to name a few, the fallen one was a Laurel leaf. Unbeknownst to me until then, the dear elderly graceful lady who had played to me in the dream was named Laurel. MAYBE Laurel and the Laurel leaf were there listening in that day who knows.

Regardless, rest peacefully dear, thanks for visiting:)

Other hauntings by Fairylights

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fairylights, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-11)
Oh, what a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it with us.:-)
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-10)
Fairylights: Wow. How cool is that? You know, I always have a hard time remembering dreams, but the ones where I "know" I must be dreaming are the ones I remember quite well. I guess a better way to put it is, dreams where I'm conscious of what's going on? Hard to put into words LOL!

Thank you for posting!
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-10)
Oh I really did enjoyed reading this... Its always wonderful to know death is not the end and one can communicate even after death:)
Vonboeckmann (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-10)
Thankyou. A most beautiful story. Some dreams are heartfelt. Another way of communication to be treasured. ❤ J
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-10)
fairylights, I absolutly loved this experience. It warmed my heart and you gave a great visual of Laurel. While I read I could imagine her and your dream. Great skills. It put a huge smile on my face. Thank you so much for sharing. 😊 ❤
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-09)
Oh! I quite enjoyed this read. 😊 Sometimes, dreams aren't dreams at all.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: