You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Teenage Experiences, Adult Perspectives

Real Ghost Stories

Teenage Experiences, Adult Perspectives

 

I was raised in a very religious environment. Aggressively religious would be the best description. You know those people who fling tracts at you in Walmart and gibber about the Rapture? That was us. If it wasn't of God it was of Satan, there are no ghosts, only demons in disguise, no nature spirits, only demons in disguise. Even Santa was really Satan, rearrange the letters, it proves it! At 14, I was sent to church school, and graduated from there, although they threatened to expel me for rebellion frequently. Apparently, reading anything other than the school curriculum was of the Devil.

So, that gives some idea of my teenage mindset. I believed what I was told, even though I secretly wished Santa wasn't evil.

I started having strange things happen to me when I was 14, the same year I was sent to the church school. The stress from school was bad. The stress at home worse. I spawned a poltergeist, which used to stand behind me breathing heavily. The details of that are in another story on here. I hated that thing.

I stopped sleeping. I could sense, but couldn't see, something standing in the corner of my room at night. Every night. It was probably just the result of too much tension and too little sleep, but I was terrified. I spent my nights praying, reading my Bible by flashlight, watching the corner and listening for any little sound that might mean something was advancing on me.

My parents both worked, one or the other would pick me up from school, drop me off at home, then leave for work. I usually loved days they were both at work, gave me a chance to read what I wanted, hike in the woods, talk on the phone with my friend. I looked forward to being home alone. One day I was changing for my afternoon hike and saw these balls of light in the hallway. Quick detail, I didn't have a door on my room, wasn't allowed a door because there's just no telling what a kid might do behind closed doors. Told you we were whackadoodles. So, there are balls of light which were dancing through the air. They were various shades of yellow and orange, the biggest about the size of a nickel. At first I thought it was dust, but then realized they were farther down the hall than light from the window could illuminate dust, not to mention too big for dust. The light balls, maybe a half dozen, were in the darkest corner of the hall where no light hit. My programming kicked in, I realized it had to be demonic, so I grabbed my cat off the bed and bailed out through my window to avoid going through the hall.

The light balls became a regular sighting. I got good at getting out through my window at top speed.

I finally worked up the nerve to talk to my mom, and ask her about paranormal activity. She told me there's no such thing, pray more. I asked a teacher at my school, she snarkily advised me to get saved or get my head checked. I asked my best friend, she cried and told me to read my Bible. I quit looking for help, but finally managed to get the doorway of my room covered. I was permitted a curtain, not as good as a door but I couldn't see the light balls anymore. Good enough.

On the nights my dad was away, I would watch tv with my mom. I would lay on the couch, my cat, Mav, laying on my stomach. The couch was against the wall facing the front hallway. My mom's chair faced away from the hall. One night Mav started growling at the hall. Mom was concerned, this was out of character for Mav. He was just a huge, mellow, even tempered guy who never growled, hissed, or behaved aggressively at all. Mom asked what was in the hall, and I couldn't see anything. We're getting more and more frightened, Mav was getting more defensive. He moved onto my chest and crouched down, ears laid back and hair on end, growling at thin air. Mom begged me to make him stop, but he was in full guard cat mode and wouldn't stop. Eventually whatever was in the hall left, Mav settled down on my belly again to nap.

This also became "normal." Anytime I was in the living room, Mav flipped out growling at the hall. We never could see anything, but one night Mom said "It's like he's trying to protect you."

So, at this point I'm dealing with a poltergeist, orbs, something in my room at night that could have been my imagination, and something in the hallway sending my cat into a frenzy. Praying wasn't working, reading my Bible wasn't working, I had no one to turn to, but finally Mom was getting weirded out, too, so maybe I wasn't crazy.

When I was 16, I had my first real ghost encounter. Everything up to that point I hadn't known what to think, but hadn't wanted to think "ghost." On top of everything else, I'm now haunted by a Confederate soldier. Super.

After high school, when I was 18, the poltergeist stopped. Yay! Still had the other stuff though. I started working at a Walmart, and met a friend, a sensitive. One evening, out of the blue, she just abruptly said "so who is the soldier following you around?" My brilliant response was "huh?" She had shaken me, and I didn't want to give anything away. She says "The Confederate guy, he follows you everywhere. He's here now." Ok, I was officially unnerved. She then described a couple of other presences, and told me I had a strong lifeforce that drew ghosts. That was scary, yet a relief. I wasn't crazy! Woot!

Over the years I've accepted the existence of ghosts, gotten used to having odd experiences, and quit jumping out of windows like my hair was on fire. Looking back on the stuff that happened to me as a teen, I believe I made a bad situation into a waking nightmare by letting my fear control me. The orbs were harmless, I realize now that they were just a collection of energy. There was energy, mostly negative, to spare in that house. The poltergeist activity ended, and I was no worse off for it. Better off, actually, it kept me aware and alert. Whatever was in the front hall, well, that stayed but I quit panicking and it seemed to be weaker once I got a little tougher. The thing that seemed to be in my room at night left, it probably was just my imagination. I'm not a religious whackadoodle anymore, I found a spiritual path that doesn't embrace fear. I still have moments of "wth was that?" But now I try to figure out what it was instead of yelling "demon" and wetting myself. More often than not I can find an explanation, now that I have the guts to look.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BadJuuJuu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Wish, I think that's a perfectly reasonable sentiment. I'd better, since I share the sentiment lol.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
BJJ- Sigh, just came across that story. I understand completely. One wonders if a "gifted" medium should quote such a thing from such a place... Hmmm has me questioning other things.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
I haven't seen enough Ghost Lab to form an opinion on them. They seemed ok, from the one or two episodes I caught.
These days I'm less into the hunting shows and more into stuff like Paranormal Witness, where people are just relating their experiences. I mean, the episode where the family swore a pack of werewolves were in their yard had me falling off the couch laughing. Considering they lived in bear country, I just couldn't accept werewolves when such a likely culprit as bears were in the area.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Whats your opinion about the Ghost Lab folks. I found their tech approach pretty cool but the Brothers were a bit...ummm...heavy handed in their approach. However the 'hits' they recorded at the Villisca Ax Murder House seemed legit and were some pretty good evidence... At least of some sort of residual energy.

Respectfully,

Rook
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Lol np. Glad you enjoy the site. There are a lot of good folks here. It's one of my favorite places on the webbernet.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Best chuckle I have had in a bit, BJJ. Thank you. I feel like I found home when I found this site.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Breakfast, lunch and dinner for me. Thank gawd for Frank's Red Hot.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
I have a bookmark that says, "A closed mouth gathers no feet." I apparently never could translate that to action. I think I eat feet for breakfast.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
LOL! Don't apologize for my chapped hide, it's not your doing. I just hate contradicting my own cynicism. ๐Ÿ˜†
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Thank you, BJJ. I really agree with your take on it. They seem to have integrity and not simply seeking fame. Amy seems very gifted. Sorry about the hide chapping. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Hecate
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
I tend to be very skeptical of tv psychics, so it chaps my hide to say this, but...
I think Amy Allen is the real deal. I like the Dead Files, I like that they work everything from two different perspectives. Steve and Amy seem to be trying to help people, not just scare the crap out of them. Seems like a common theme with so many ghost shows is fear, whereas Steve and Amy investigate, and give possible solutions. They empower people, I respect that.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
What do you guys think of The Dead Files with Amy Allen, psychic and Steve Deschiavi (Sorry if I misspelled) psychic/detective team on the Travel Channel? I like their more compassionate approach.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Zach? Oh don't even get me started on Ghost Adventures. Bunch of flaky...pastries.
Ahem.
I'm going to go sit in the corner and play quietly by myself.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
BJJ- Absolutely. If one adds Hollywood as a reference then it loses ALL credibility. That goes for Zach, that whispering girl and the rest of them. They are there for entertainment as their goal. Entertainment = $$$

I'm with you. Obviously I have not read that story yet. Been off the grid for a few days so I have some catching up to do.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
in full agreeance with BJJ once again... Why is there an up vote limit? Ugh
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Ok, choosing to comment on a comment from another story (Screaming Girl) here, as I don't want to detract from the OP's story.
I've been under the impression that Ghost Whisperer is a fictional drama series. I would be hesitant to latch onto ideas from such a series as fact. It may be based on someone's claims of true experience, but the show is just a show. Not trying to be a nit-picking dirtbag, but it's difficult for me to take anything pulled off a drama series as legitimate.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-11)
Hippiesiren, I think there are probably a heck of a lot of us out there. It doesn't always feel that way, and I'm glad reading this gave you a feeling of not alone. ๐Ÿ˜Š
hippiesiren (8 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-11)
I want to say thank you for this story. I understand the issue with super religious parents. (I'm a preacher's daughter) And while I am a Christian, I know there is more to it, beings that my parents would also automatically call demons. So, in short thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one. ๐Ÿ˜Š
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
Yeah seriously BJJ, unless you learned how to fly and then by all means you missed out because... Being able to fly would be awesome!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
*Quits bouncing around from ingesting BJJ's rocket fuel, long enough to read the story.*
Boy, you really did have a lot going on at the time, didn't you? Good thing you stopped leaping out of windows ๐Ÿ˜Š or we'd probably never have met ya!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
One cup o rocket fuel to BGP! Congrats on your 100th!
Wait, that's not 50.
A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says "why the long face?"
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
I love how this turned into a party from several hours ago and is still going on... All thanks to BJJ and Miracles. ๐Ÿ˜†
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
Oh. My. God. Rook! That description of that meal was unfair and wonderful.

I momentarily lost all control of my motor functions.


Congrats, Babygoatpuller:)
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
My 100th post on that last one! I'm esteemed! Pass me some of that rocket fuel BJJ! ๐Ÿ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
Thanks, BJJ. You know what I think it is? Folks (those just coming in) wanting to stir the pot, don't do their homework and realize, those of us who've been around a bit, all kind of 'know' each other through our stories and comments, and they aren't 'going after' just one person. Their 'target' always has backup. Kind of a rude awakening - for them. ๐Ÿ˜†
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
It ended up being a 12 hour Brisket... Temp kept between 230 and 250 degrees F the entire time it cooked... And when I went to transfer it from grill to serving platter it simply melted off the serving fork. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway, I was kind of hopeing to converse with Mimisqueeze! I would have played down nice honest.

Respectfully,

Rook
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
Geez BJJ! I got a headache just reading that recipe! Nice cup 'o rocket fuel there! ๐Ÿ˜†
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
We really do have the best potlucks imaginable.

All we need is Rook and that 10-hour brisket I've been thinking about for the last month.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
*passes Val a Sleep Deprivation Special*
In this mug is one cup of coffee, one can of Dr Pepper, one liberal glug of International Delights vanilla creamer, and a half teaspoon of sugar. Drink responsibly lol.
The interesting thing about people making stuff personal around here, it always ends in comedy. And caffeine, cookies, and popcorn. ๐Ÿ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-02)
*drags in from work* anyone save this little Eskimo (honorary, cause it's cold out) a soda pop? Or maybe a nice hot coffee is in order?
BJJ, coffee and Dr. Pepper mixed? I might have to actually try that at some point. It really does look to me like that person tried to make it personal... Silly of them.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: