You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Ghostly Meow

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghostly Meow

 

When I was younger, I lived with my grandparents in a small house. Every afternoon, I would be helping my Nanna peel vegetables or help with making the dinner or afternoon snacks. The kitchen was really tiny, and there was a window to look through into the dining room. Around 4:30 in the afternoon, I would always hear a soft meowing coming from the open window. It sounded like a kitten looking for attention.

I would tell my Nanna that the cat is crying and meowing. My Nanna is deaf herself. The other 4 cats we had would be yowling and hissing in the area. So my Nanna always put all the cats outside and let me pour milk onto a saucer. So I did, we would eat dinner and then I come back, all the milk is gone. It was a regular thing, I asked my Nanna if she knew who it was, or anything like that, she would have no idea.

But the weird thing is that when I am sleeping I had a dream of a black and white cat with a pink collar sitting on the table in the window, but in my dream the cat is a full grown cat. I asked my Nanna and she had no cats that were black and white. She thinks black and white cats are bad luck...

All my other cousins can hear it as well, I'm not the only one that can hear it. Now I live in Australia, and I'm 18. It's still there, and my cousins have named it Mews. Why do the other cats react so much when Mews appears? Also I'm also wondering why Mews comes in around 4:30. My little cousin who is 2 always tells my Nanna that Mews is crying.

Comments are welcome

Other hauntings by BattleScars

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BattleScars, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-10)
Thanks for the comments! Well I do currently live in Australia but my cousins all live in the house, they still hear meowing around 4:30pm but they said it's starting to subside, sometimes Mews doesn't come at all... They think Mews gone with the other cat that died recently...? [at] Junai and [at] Aishling - Thanks for that tip about the lactose intolerance - I shall remember that! I have 3 cats at the moment. [at] elfstone810 cats are gentle creatures and amazing companions:) Animals are amazing
Beatthefear (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-05)
Perhaps this is just a cat after some attention. Next time you hear it crying try talking to it, or sing lightly to it. I have been rescuing cats for a while and most of them love a good singing to.
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-31)
A little off topic why do some say we die as a ghost but not animals or certain ones? It seems like certain animals have a spirit if I am correct.
MadMaximum (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-27)
"...Nanna always put all the cats outside and let me pour milk onto a saucer. So I did, we would eat dinner and then I come back, all the milk is gone." - that rules out residual non-spirit,:P
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-25)
Hello BattleScars, I am just confused. You said that it is still there. I just want to know if it is still there means, it is heard by your cousins in that same house or you are hearing exactly at 4.30 daily now in Australia?

If it is in the same house, where you lived earlier and that your little cousins are hearing it even now at exactly at 4.30 every day, then it is residual haunting. I think that you meant that it is still there in your previous home. It is residual and as BJJ said, there is no actual spirit and it is a repetition of past events over and over again.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
osnapitsDebra (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-24)
Kiego me to I love animals so much I have a bird (a sun conure) and shes like my little baby and I love her to death.

BattleScars thanks for sharing, poor mews maybe the reason why he would always appear at 4:30 is because he probably died at that time

-Debra ❤
Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-21)
Junai is right cats are lactose intolerant! I also have a big male cat who can only squeak like he did when he was a baby so it could be a full grown cat! It would be cool if it was the cat that you seen in your dreams. Maybe try set up a little camera or some kind of recording device if you know when Mews is going to be around. One of my cats came to visit after he died. Felt him jumping up on the bed where he always sat. Cats are the best alive or in death 😊
Junai (1 stories) (6 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-19)
That's both sad and really interesting. For future reference, however, don't feed cats cream, milk, or any dairy products. I know it's something that's part of the cat stereotype, but it's actually poisonous to cats and they can have diarrhea.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Cats can be territorial little buggers, which could be why the other cats react so strongly to Mews. As to him showing up around 4:30, I have a couple theories. Theory 1, he could be residual. In a residual haunt, there isn't actually a true ghost present, it's just a replay of past events. There is no awareness, no emotion, no ability to interact, because there is no true ghost. A true ghost has awareness, and will likely try to interact.
Theory 2, if Mews is an intelligent presence, he could just be a stickler for routine. God knows some cats establish a routine and stick with it, and heaven help you if you disturb that routine...
Stubborn beasties, cats.
Some cats, even as adults, will still have kittenish voices. The adult cat you see in your dream could well be what Mews looks like, he may just have a higher voice than many adult cats. One of my guys is huge, but sounds like a tiny kitten when he meows. It's a little weird to hear that little voice come from an adult, but his father had a similar high pitched meow.
Interesting experience.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
The winter of 2000/01 I was living in an old, poorly insulated, almost unheated house. I kept warm at night by sleeping between an electric blanket and an electric mattress pad. My cat, Toby, always slept under the covers against my hip. In January I lost him suddenly to a congenital heart defect. For a week afterwards, every night, there was a Toby-sized ice cold spot against my hip, between the heated blanket and the heated mattress pad.

I think, if you're going to have a ghost, a ghost cat is the ghost to have. ❤
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
You have a personal ghost cat? That rocks! I would think any oppertunities to get in touch with a ghost cat would be worth it. I've actualy heared of three other ghost cat stories, and all of them are positive.
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
that's sad. Being the animal lover that I am I can't help but think that its the little lost soul of a kitten. I'm a sucker when it comes to animals.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: