You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Headless Horseman Haunt

Real Ghost Stories

Headless Horseman Haunt

 

Though my story took place when I was eight years of age, I still remember it bright as day. Many people I talk to write it off as "a bad dream" or a hallucination, but I know what I experienced, and I know for certain that I was very much awake. There are a few seemingly minor details I must set up first, as they all accumulate to create the entire context of my story.

In 2004 during the week of Thanksgiving, my family took a vacation to Disney World in Florida. As it was our first large vacation, and we wished to stay for the entire week, we were staying in a rather cheap hotel. The area was made up to look like the French Quarter in New Orleans, and the rooms resembled motel rooms rather than a hotel room. There were five people in the room and two beds right next to each other. My mom and dad slept in the bed closest to the door with my then two year old little sister. My older brother and I shared the far bed, but slept so that my head was at the foot of the bed and his head was opposite, at the top.

On the day of the incident, my mom and little sister had returned to the room for the day, leaving me, my dad, and my brother to ride all the roller coasters we wanted. They were both dead set on riding the Haunted Mansion ride, but being an eight-year-old little girl, I threw a fit. Finally they coerced me into it, and I grudgingly went along.

The very first 'spooky' thing I saw before entering the ride was the statue of the Headless Horseman, riding a black horse with red eyes, dressed in all black, and, of course, entirely without any head to speak of.

We went through the ride and, as could be expected, I was mortified.

That night as I lie in bed I couldn't get any sleep. The room was unbearably hot and humid, I couldn't get comfortable, and I had a slight chest cold which was causing me to cough up phlegm. Apparently, my Father couldn't sleep either, as every time I coughed, he griped at me to 'spit, swallow, or quit it'.

With all this inconveniences combined, I could not sleep in more than short, half hour bursts. At one point, at around 3:30, I woke up with a strange feeling of something being wrong. My head was hanging over the edge of the bed, and I could see a small, round, black object on the floor. I then noticed that it was attached to something furry. Initially I believed it to be one of the stuffed Mickeys we'd bought earlier in the day, but then I realized it was something much larger. I followed the object up what I realized was a large, bony, furry leg, and found myself staring dead into the red, glowing eyes of a big, black horse.

It then dawned on me that it was the same horse, rider and all, as the statue from out side of the Haunted Mansion- in my hotel room. To make matters worse, it then blinked, blew hot breath out of its nose, and clopped its hooves on our floor.

I tried desperately to pull the blanket over my head, but my brother had wrapped himself in it. I then tried to grab the sheet, but my brother was laying on it, and I could only get enough to cover 2/3 of myself. I then lay very still, telling myself I was dreaming, just scared from the ride earlier that day, and that if I fell asleep, it would all go away. I then felt more phlegm come up in my throat, and tried my best not to cough, fearing it might alert the beast and its spectral rider. Finally, it became too uncomfortable, and I had to cough up the mucus. That's when something even more strange happened- my dad once again scolded me, and told me to stop coughing. That was it for me. If my dad was also awake, then I had to be- I was indeed not dreaming.

After ten minutes of being terrified, I fell asleep for another hour. I then woke up and peeked from under the sheet, expecting that the vision would be gone, and that I really was just victim of my own overactive imagination. I looked first to my parents, seeing that they had shifted some in their sleep. I then tried to see if my brother had relinquished some of the sheet he was laying on- alas, no. Then, tentatively, I looked in to where the horse was.

It was still there, shifting on its feet as if anxious to move, rider still sitting up bone straight.

Again I lay still, and eventually fell asleep for around forty minutes. The next time I awoke, I could hear the horse nicker and the husky, strained breaths of the rider. I couldn't bring myself to look up this time.

Finally I fell asleep for another hour and woke up half an hour before everyone else was set to. Sunlight was beginning to come in through the windows, and the sky was that tell-tale blue, giving away that it was early morning. I felt an overwhelming sense of calm, and threw my head up at where I had seen the apparition the night before with no fear. Indeed it was gone. Ironically, my brother had also rolled off the sheet and even loosened some blanket. I was able to sleep peacefully for that last half hour.

The incident did not take place again for the next few nights, and my parents did not believe me when I told them. Both made a very good point- with the room being as small as it was, wouldn't they have seen the Headless Horseman, too?

To me, the story was very real, and I knew very well what I saw. What's more is that when returned some time later at the age of 16, and rode the ride and saw the Horseman, I felt a deep sense of uneasiness. To many it will seem the case of a child and a manifestation of their fear, but to me, it will always be an unexplainable ghost story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AlunaShepard, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-10)
Hallucination or not I would be TERRIFIED! Holy crap, I love The Haunted Mansion (even as a kid!). But if this had happened I would not have the guts to go in there again like you did. LOL
AlunaShepard (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-12)
Thanks for the comments! I didn't even realize this was posted!
Swimsinfire- I never really considered looking to see if it was haunted. It would be hard to research the hotel itself since it is named after a place in the US that actually IS haunted, but researching the grounds may prove interesting.
Valkricry- That's the only part of the story that leads me to believe I was awake. Otherwise I'd just brush it off as a really trippy dream. Also yes, where is my gold star?!
Shlain- Hallucination DOES seem the most plausible answer, but the one other time in my life I believed I was hallucinating, there was proof in the morning that what I saw actually happened.
Sceptic-Ari- I probably would've at that age, but I was THAT scared that I couldn't- utterly petrified. And thank you, wetting the bed would've been most unfortunate.
Sds- No offense taken at all! The machinations of that night were all of great coincidence, which would make it both hard to believe and more than likely a hallucination. Some of the things that happened though- hearing my dad, it being gone by sun up, seeing it multiple times- seem too convenient for me to ever, in my mind, brush it off entirely as hallucination. Most plausible explanation, of course, but too simple for me to ever really accept.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-25)
Hi AlunaShepard, nice narration but I am on the fence on this. Because you saw the headless horseman statue the previous night and you were having chest cold, I don't know what to say because when your dad was awake when you coughed and scolded you to control it, then it is pretty sure that even he should have seen it. It could be as Shalin said, a hallucination. But with only one night experience and with others having not seen, it is difficult to categorise it as paranormal sighting. No offence meant but this is my opinion.

Even now, you can investigate and try to find out, if the hotel is still there, whether there are any further sightings of this headless horseman and post it. It could give us some credence and inputs.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
Yup,
Screamed my head off.That's the only thing I would have and I could have surely done.

Hats off to you for not wetting the bed, and in turn your brother.

Regards
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-19)
Aluna, you say you had a chest cold. This apparition you saw could have been the result of an hallucination brought on by fever from your illness. Your mind found the Haunted Mansion a negative and scary experience and thus could've been recalled by the fever raging in your body.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Interesting. Weird is that apparently your dad was also awake and saw or heard nothing. I think you should have gotten a gold star for not screaming your head off. I'm pretty sure at that age I would have. Dream or not.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-18)
Interesting, Alma. Have you googled any history of the place? I'm thinking Disney was built on a drained swamp, so there wasn't a lot of battle going on in the area. The Spanish brought horses to the area, and I think there were battles with Micasookies in the Orlando area. And of course pirates, (or privateers as we liked to call them since they were Americas first navy.) Cool story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: