You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Thursday Night Visitor And John King Bookstore

Real Ghost Stories

Thursday Night Visitor And John King Bookstore

 

Greetings, YGS members. I'm taking the plunge today by submitting two of my own experiences.

I visit this site because true stories about paranormal experiences fascinate me. I've had a number of encounters myself and it's comforting to compare them with what other people have witnessed. But actually coming across something paranormal always throws me into a panic. I don't go around looking for ghosts; in fact, I try to keep my "radar" turned off. It helps some, but it doesn't always work. Here are two examples. I'd really like your opinions about them.

I: Thursday Night Visitor

About fifteen years ago I was employed as an editor for a company in mid-Michigan that owned a dozen local newspapers. After I'd been with the company for about a year, the two papers I worked on were moved to "new" offices in a nearby county seat - one of those places in central Michigan that still has a quaint downtown with Greek Revival architecture. We were in a renovated older building that sat next to a huge (reputedly haunted) cemetery.

From the first day I walked into the newspaper office, I knew this wouldn't be a comfortable experience for me, because I felt an unseen presence at the far end of our suite. My office was near the front; if I walked the length of the suite, before I reached the half-way point I would sense I was crossing an invisible line. Goose bumps would start to pop out on my arms and I'd start feeling chills. I had a sudden urge to turn and run from the building, so I always stayed as far away from that part of the office suite as possible.

Some of you have described being able to "see" a spirit in your mind. That's usually been my experience. I gradually came to realize that the ghost in our office was a youngish man, maybe late thirties or early forties, with brown hair and eyes and some kind of beard. He was dressed like a worker or a farm hand: denim overalls, a checkered shirt, and heavy boots that were muddy - and he seemed to be smiling. He gave me the impression of being friendly. I think maybe he was even amused that he scared me, but I never felt he intended to threaten me. He probably wanted someone to pick up on his presence.

Every Thursday I had to work late into the night, "laying out" my two newspapers and sending them online, page by page, to Production. I never looked forward to working there alone at night, but that's not the way things started off. At first several other staff members stayed late on the same night to finish their own papers, but organizational changes moved them to offices in another town; so eventually I worked alone in the building one evening a week. I came to dread Thursdays, because our resident ghost always paid me a visit.

First there would be muffled bumps and knocks from the far end of the suite. Then I could hear footsteps moving toward the middle area, where our computer server was located. After a few minutes of unidentifiable banging and creaking sounds, the footsteps would start again - heading straight to my office door. Then I could sense the man standing in my doorway.

I would crank up some music as loud as I could and refuse to look in the "visitor's" direction. He didn't enter the office, but I could feel him watching me from the doorway. When I was ready to leave, he usually walked behind me right to the outer door. I couldn't shake off the shivers until I was safe at home.

Finally, in desperation, I decided to call in my own personal ghost buster - my husband. I knew from past experiences that my hubby somehow (unconsciously) acts as a ghost repellant. I don't understand how or why this works - he's actually "tone-deaf" when it comes to paranormal experiences - but spirits avoid him. So I asked Hubby to drive straight from his own job in another city to sit with me on Thursday nights until I finished my work. He's a sweetie-pie. He agreed to sacrifice his Thursday nights, and Hallelujah! It turned out to be a perfect solution, because the presence kept its distance whenever Hubby showed up.

It wasn't until I left the newspaper for a different job that I discovered a few of my co-workers had also run into the ghost. We traded stories about being alone in the office and what we thought the entity looked like. Sharing the creepy experiences with my former work friends made me feel a little better.

Several years after I'd quit that job I found myself in town again near the newspaper office, so I decided to stop by for a visit. I was in luck: Two friends from the old days happened to be there instead of out covering stories. We took a fifteen-minute coffee break to catch up in the back office, where things were quieter. Now remember, the suite was in an older building, so the door to this room was solid wood, with a panel of frosted glass and an old-fashioned brass door knob.

Suddenly the door knob rattled; then it slowly turned. The hair on the back of our necks stood up as the door swung wide open. We all jumped about a mile! Of course when we checked there was no one in the hallway...

II: John King Bookstore

John King Bookstore is on West Lafayette Street in downtown Detroit. It's located in a huge four-storey turn-of-the-last century building that was once a glove factory. They specialize in used and rare books, and at one time they had around a thousand volumes.

Not long ago I heard a rumor recently that John King was going to close because it was failing financially. I hope that isn't true since it's such a unique place. Books stacked from floor to ceiling in such rough order that an employee couldn't tell you if they had a particular title without first doing a vigorous search. The place smells musty from yellowing pages and disintegrating leather covers. Even though I've only been there a couple of times with a friend, "Caroline," who introduced me to the place, John King has made an impression on me.

Caroline is a fan of the supernatural, even though she hasn't experienced anything of that sort herself. Once we stumbled into a conversation about ghosts. She was enthralled when I admitted I'd encountered some spirits; so as we were driving to John King a few years back, she told me one of the employees said the fourth floor was supposed to be haunted. The spirit was thought to be a man who'd worked at the glove factory long ago. She asked me to check it out and let her know if there really was a spirit hanging out.

I said ghosts scare me and I never go hunting for them.

But it's a huge building, very quiet, with usually only a handful of customers wandering by themselves from floor to floor. Caroline and I went our separate ways because we're interested in different types of books, so I ended up browsing alone through empty book-lined rooms. After we'd paid for our books and gone to the car, she asked excitedly if I'd picked up on anything. I had, even though I was trying not to.

I told her I hadn't run into anything on the fourth floor, but on the third floor there was a gentle older male entity who had once worked at the book store. He'd been in love with a young woman who also worked there, although she only thought of him as a friend.

So the next time Caroline went to John King she told one of the employees what I'd said. The employee immediately remembered two former colleagues, one now deceased, whose friendship seemed like the kind I'd described.

Experienced YGS members, would some of you please offer your opinions on the following question? If a person is sensitive to the paranormal but uncomfortable with it, can she/he block it out completely? I've been trying to do that for years, but it never quite goes away. Suggestions are welcome.

Other hauntings by Seraphina

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Seraphina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

HelvaTPB (7 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-13)
Seeker, might I suggest that you try a different variation on meditation and visualization. It sounds like something that was happening to me when I tried meditating, in that I would be "elsewhere" or see things I shouldn't have been able to. Try using a visualization of yourself as a tree with roots going deep into the ground instead. If you ground while you are meditating it should help.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-12)
Hello, Darkness and Seeker 1. I want to acknowledge your comments--I've been away visiting family for several days and haven't been online. Thank you both for posting and sharing.

Darkness, the circle of light is a good suggestion. For a while I was on a similar path to Seeker's, I believe. I did learn about the circle of light, but didn't think of using it quite this way before.

Seeker, the more I read your observations, the more I feel we have in common--although you're much farther along spiritually than I.

Blessings to both of you!
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-09)
Hi Whitewolf,

I'm pleased for you in that you have found what works for you and are on your path.:)

I do not share the same views on demons. Let me try and explain my views by sharing my heart with you. This is my belief/truth and I do not say you should believe like me or mean to say that what you have encountered isn't your experience.
Trust me when I tell you I have had my share and brushes with some scary a** stuff. It took me years to come to a truth for me about the things I had encountered.
I found that whatever belief systems I held/embraced is EXACTLY what I encountered. To the point of physical touch. What I am trying to say is simply this: If you believe there are "demons" then that is exactly what "you/I" will manifest/bring into being. It is my belief that we are CO-creators with the Creator. The power is in us. I don't mean we bring these things into being over night... But after long periods of belief. I hope this makes sense.
Once I came to that truth (for me) all demonic activity ceased. I only encounter the occasional disembodied human spirit now and have never been physically attacked again.
DEMON is/was a name attached to something that could not be understood or explained by early man. And unfortunately the beliefs carry on.
I also believe that most encounters of a frightening nature such as scratches, growling, etc... Are human spirits who get their jollies pretending to be demonic. It's just DARK energy that needs the light/truth shined on it.

As far as meditating to help with being an Empath. Tried it, enjoyed it and then had a very frightening experience that I am still seeking truth on. It left me with the "well WTH do I do with this?".
Was deep in meditation when all of a sudden a little girl of about 7 or 8 appeared to me crying and telling me she had been locked in "this closet for days". All of a sudden a man lept at me face to my face screaming at me. Scared me half to death. Didn't know what to do with that. Just left me bereft of having no peace in meditation. I did not sense they were disembodied. My sense was this was real life and the man had kidnapped the little girl. Again, I was left with what am I suppose to do now. Tore me up for the sake of the child.
I'm not a medium in this area. Although I have been given visions and had them come to pass, this was totally new territory. So I don't meditate any longer unless I am in pain. And I am very careful how deeply I allow it to go.

Again, I am pleased for you in that you have found a smooth path to help you with your gift.
It is my hope that you will find more peace and freedom in spirit as you continue your earthly journey.

Blessed Be
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-09)
Seraphina: Great accounts here very well presented, in regards to blocking it out as previously mentioned by other members here because you can perceive and sense spirits etc this will be an ongoing thing in your life but I definitely believe you can dim it down by putting yourself in to a belief mode more to society's and how we are programmed to believe from social conditioning that there is no such thing. Easier said then done right? The other way is by grounding and protecting yourself white light etc. Have you ever thought about these techniques? Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-04)
Hello, White Wolf. I appreciate your advice to work with these abilities instead of seeing them as liabilities.
Since several of you who are experienced are recommending that approach, I'm seriously thinking about trying it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your wisdom!
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-04)
Seeker1,

The statement that you made "It isn't the dead you need to fear, but the living" is very true unless you have come in contact with a demon or another spirit that can harm you both physically and mentally. I have had several encounters with different demons the first scared me because it threatened my family but now I found the spiritual strength to keep the other demons away with the help of my mother and Animal Spirit.

I'm an Empath as well and I had trouble with controlling my ability (High School was the worst) but with time I managed to close myself off temporarily from other people through meditation but I have gained some perks with my ability; I became closer to the Earth mother, Found my Spirit Animal and every day I find myself to be blessed than cursed but I still have some problems such as not being strong enough to keep the emotions of spirits away from me but let's me know when a demon is around because they give off a very strong feeling of hate, anger, sense of depression
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-04)
Seraphina,

Thank you for sharing your stories with us 😁

I have to say that you can not completely rid yourself of your ability it is a part of you and you should see it as a blessing than a curse, I suggest that you take your time training yourself in controlling your ability with time you should be able to block out any spirit that you do not wish to communicate with. If you feel that a spirit is present you can stop them from bothering you with a prayer while picturing a circle of white light around you.

Whitewolf,
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-01)
Hi, Cecil04. Thank you for describing your approach to the "sensitivity issue." Closing the third eye...That's a helpful way to explain it.
cecil04 (6 stories) (62 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-28)
seraphina,

Thanks for sharing your story!
I have the same "problem" that you stated in your question and my answer is "yes! You can almost absolutely block these things out".
But it will take a lot of practice and strong will.

I for myself call it "opening or closing my third eye" and for me it works pretty well for around 1 year already! (I "closed" my third eye, for various reasons)

In fact, you cannot shun spirits away or something like that, but you can automate directing your perception to other things immediately whenever a "spirit" approaches.

It's really hard for me to explain, but that's about what I am doing.
I can only speak for myself and it's no guarantee that this will work for others.
But certainly it will take a lot of practice and strong will!

For me it doesn't work all the time, but in let's say 90% of situations.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-25)
Thank you, Raftingirl 😊 I appreciate your input. Your point about not having to become a ghost hunter is well taken.--Guess I don't need to go to extremes either way ❀
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-23)
Those were great accounts. I don't think you should fear your sensitivity ~ but rather embrace it. Not many people have that gift. You don't need to become a "ghost hunter", but rather embrace those times when they present themselves to you. It's not YOUR fault;)

In any case, hope you get on well ❀ ❀
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
The consensus seems to be that a sensitive person probably can't just shut the door to the paranormal and walk away. Thank you everyone for devoting time and thought to answer my question. I take your advice very seriously.
Now Shlain, shadow men aren't exactly my cup of tea! πŸ˜† Hope I don't have an experience like yours!
Lilady, you're blessed to be able to share this "gift" with your husband. My spouse is understanding, but he basically has to take everything I tell him on blind faith.
Good night, and blessings to you all.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
Unfortunately, no, you cannot block it out by not wanting to see it. My husband describes it as like being a beacon (I believe my husband and I are Sensitives, not Psychics), to Spirit and anyone who wants our attention. Like, for instance, if I try to ignore some of our resident Spirits, they will start to throw things and crash and bang until we listen to them, so to speak.
Love & Light, Rachel ❀
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
I agree with lady-glow. It will always be there and pop its head out from time to time. Its like having your eyes open and trying not to see. In your case its your 3rd eye.

I tried meditating and when I opened my eyes after my session a shadow man was standing by the door staring at me and I got the impression he was thinking "Wtf is she doing?!" 😁

If you figure out how to do it let me know!
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-21)
Thanks, Lady-Glow. Well, I have been trying to block it out for 60+ years. (You aren't the only one with gray hair 😊)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-21)
Great story, Seraphina!
I compare trying to block your sensitivity to trying to cover my gray hair, it keeps on coming no matter what brand of hair color I use. πŸ˜†

Thanks for sharing!
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
I truly appreciate your advice, friends. It helps to hear from people who understand and have--in my perception, anyway--really evolved spiritually. I'm a bit embarrassed at my age to be so naïve about these things. 😊

HappySpirit,your point about approaching things in a clear and grounded way makes a lot of sense. It does sound safer.

Seeker, thank you for telling me exactly what you mean by learning how to harness such a gift: using meditation/prayer to seek answers. I agree with you that Someone does listen. As for my user name, of course it's derived from "seraphim," and I also know someone living a holy life whose chosen name is Serafina. There's a bit more to it than that. Maybe I'll share more later.

Amihet,you're right that many people believe there is nothing after physical death, although we know that isn't true. Maybe we have a duty to try sharing what we know, but I wonder if I've got the strength to handle their likely reactions. Gotta think about that some more.
Amihet (5 stories) (94 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
Hi Seraphina: I totally agree with Seeker, your gift can be used to help people in general because a lot of people believe that there is nothing beyond this life and they have no hope. I also know people that abuse everything from food to drugs and alcohol for the same reason. What seeker said about how we shouldn't fear the dead but we should fear the living that is something that my late mother used to say all the time and I am catching myself repeating the very same statement to my family. I would love to hear more about your experiences and thank you for sharing.
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
Seraphina,
I can't answer that question with any certainty. All I can tell you is that you must learn to control your fear first and foremost. And like Happy Spirit alluded to, be confident in who and what you are. Set firmly/fix in your mind whatever rules you desire if you should decide to help the dead.

I don't think we are given these abilities for the purpose of scaring the beejeebees out of us. But, they are there to aid others.
Should a friend/foe of yours (living) lose a loved one, would you not offer comfort in some way? You would because it is in your DNA to do so. You may not know what to say, and so you just might cry with them or pray for them.

My granny had a saying when we were kids. "It isn't the dead you need to fear, but the living". I can't tell you how many times I heard that growing up! But it has helped me when I have encountered the paranormal. (seen a few ghosts/time slips, angels, etc...).

I had a friend who had your gift. She worked in a hospital, so you can just imagine how many encounters a day she had. I asked her how in the world she could stand it. She said they needed her help. Some left their bodies so quickly they hadn't a clue what had happened. Her gift was life saving for her as her grandfather (deceased/Shaman) appeared to her one day, put his head into her body, looked around and then told her she needed to see a cardiologist that very day. She trusted her gift doing what he told her to. One of her valves was defective and the Doctor told her she could have died. (a special hello to her if she is on this site and reads this:) ).

Know this: If you choose not to embrace your gift, it's O.K.! But if you do, go forward with intention, learn to harness it. Meditate/pray/seek answers. Source/God/Universe isn't deaf. You will find answers.

Off subject: I am very curious about your user name.
Should you desire to share your reasons behind the name, I would love to hear.

Blessed Be
😊
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
Great stories! Your comments about your husband being "paranormally tone deaf" are fascinating, all the more so because his shielding, if I can call it that, is uncomfortable or repugnant to spirits. To address your question, if you want to shield yourself, the first step is intention. As a young woman my Mom was psychic; she didn't see ghosts but was able to foretell the future. Her abilities became bothersome (and friends and relatives were constantly trying to get her to read their tea leaves.) She decided to shut down her abilities and did so. She basically ignored information she was receiving and refused to exercise that "muscle." However, I think she also shut down other parts of herself, which brings me to Seeker1's point - perhaps you should not consider shutting down your sensitivity but learn to harness it. I have a friend who does house clearings; she is very inwardly strong and rattled by very little. She's made it clear that we have so much more power than the disincarnate and the way to approach them is to listen and find out what they need. The key is to approach such a situation in a very clear and grounded manner and to know you are safe. There are more experienced people on this website who I'm sure can help you with both shutting out the paranormal and working with it responsibly, depending upon which option you choose, so I hope they chime in, but that's what I know.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
Thank you for your response, Seeker. You've given me some important things to consider. (I have the empath thing, too. Didn't know what to call it. It's not as uncomfortable for me as encountering a ghost.)

Do you think, though, that if I opened up--even just a bit--to spirits, it would increase these experiences?
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-20)
Hi Seraphina,

I really enjoyed your story. It was a pleasure reading it. Well written!

I don't know about the blocking out. Perhaps someone with more experience can give you some tips.
I'm an Empath and have yet to figure out how to block others emotions when in public. So, I can identify with how nerve wracking it can be when you don't want to embrace your gift.

However, the entire time I was reading I couldn't help but have one question for you. Your gift comes through for you so clearly. Wow!...So, why have you not interacted asking them (disembodied spirits) why they are still hanging around the living or guided them towards the light?
Perhaps you might try keeping in mind that they were once human but now are without the confines of a shell in order to keep your fear at bay. I don't think you would fear the average person you encounter at work or a library unless they gave you a good reason. Our fear is a natural reaction to the unnatural.
Gifts aren't without a price even if we don't actually want the gift. Lol Boy, how I'd like to give mine back! But these gifts can and do come in handy.
😊 😊

Thanks again for sharing.

Blessed Be

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: