You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Figure In My Room

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Figure In My Room

 

When I was younger, about 8 years old, I saw a figure in my room. I woke up in the middle of the night, for no particular reason that I can recall. When I opened my eyes, I saw a figure sitting on my dresser. It looked so real that I thought it was a real person. When I was younger, it was not uncommon for me to think I saw people in my room, but it usually ended up being a poster of a celebrity that I mistook for a real person. This time it was different. It was a woman, and her legs were crossed, and she was swinging her leg up and down. And she was staring at me. I was extremely terrified, and I quietly called out, "Mom...?" When the figure didn't answer, I became even more scared, and just rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. It was very difficult, because I could feel the figure staring at me and watching me. I never saw the figure again after that night.

When I got older, about 13 or 14, I started to notice that I could hear breathing. Obviously I could tell it was not my own, and it was not anyone else in my family: it was too loud and too close for that. But I would be in bed at night, and I could hear a heavy, steady breathing. I usually heard it in my room, but there was one time that I heard it downstairs in our living room as well.

After we moved out of the house, my mom told me that the previous owners' daughter died while they lived in that house. My mom also told me that she would notice that sometimes doors would open by themselves and stuff like that would happen (she didn't give me much specifics). My best guess is that the girl who died was haunting that house.

Now that I live in a different house, I haven't experienced anything like that. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts about this!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, arogers521, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
[at] arogers521, as far as the breathing it could have been the girl looking at you and getting too close. Maybe she just wanted your attention because you were young yourself and she felt she could connect with you. Awesome experience and story! 😊
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
arogers, very creepy! I heard similar breathing one time, but I never saw anything. Based on the fact that you've moved houses, and you're not having those experiences,, I like to think you are right about the girl haunting the home. I wonder what her story was... Thanks for sharing!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
Good story. I don't think it was residual either, because it seemed to look at you, interact. I think you're right it's probably the girl. Thankyou for sharing.
edward091 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-17)
I can relate to this.
If its ok, please locate this house for me. Where exactly is this house.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-16)
I would guess, from what we know, that it was probably the daughter of the previous owner. I do not personally think it was residual as you heard the breathing down stairs and your mother noticed doors moving on their own. The other scenario could be that you had a spirit in the house as well as a residual haunt. I would agree with Kiego it sucks being in that situation, there is nothing worse than trying to go to sleep and all of a sudden you hear breathing.
Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-16)
sounds like a residual haunting. Although I'm not sure if I would call it a haunting so much as a residual energy left behind. Or maybe it is a haunting because you saw and heard the apparition...hmmmm. Anyway, I have had a few similar experiences and its definitely not a good moment to be in, regardless of whether whatever it is means you harm or not. Thanks for the read, good to see some new stories being published.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-15)
Welcome to YGS!

I think you are right about the ghost of the daughter of the previous owner haunting the house, perhaps she was curious about the new occupants of "her" space.
But it seems that she didn't mean any harm and you were safe, though (understandably) afraid.

I really like your story, thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: