You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Old York Hospital

Real Ghost Stories

Old York Hospital

 

This is my first story and was also the first time I have experienced anything paranormal.

When I was about 10 or 11 years old my family lived in a very little old town called York in Western Australia. I was with a young friend at the time we were just out exploring in town as kids do. After a while we found an old Ping Pong table in a rather run down tin carport type shed (so it was open at the front), tucked away out the back of the old York Hospital which had long since been shut down.

We were just playing around with the Ping Pong table when I looked up and saw a woman in one of the windows of the hospital. I think, from memory, the building was 2 or 3 stories high. She was just standing there, just looking down at the little children making a racket out the back. I pointed her out to my friend and he said he could see her too, and he also described her just as I have below.

Even though it was a long time ago I can still remember what she looked like in detail but without colour, eg her hair and clothes had no colour that I can remember in my mind. It's like she was different shades of grey. She was quite tall and thin with a high bun in her hair but not tight (if that makes sense), kind of loose around her head. She was wearing a nurse-type uniform. I remember a lighter grey/white collar, possibly a cape around her shoulders, I could tell she was not from our era. At a guess I would say she was in her mid-50s and rather stern looking.

We ran back to my friend's house where we told his mother who, as I was about to find out, was a very spiritual person. She decided that the spirit of the lady we saw was trapped in the old hospital. What happened after this is very hard to explain to this day, but I will do my best.

She went into a sort of trance like state where her spirit or astral body, I don't really know because she was talking and kind of acting out what she was doing in front of us, travelled to the old hospital to help the trapped spirit. But when she arrived there she was not wanted and she started thrashing around like she was being attacked and also said she was being choked. She had her hands at her own throat like she was trying to pry hands away whilst screaming and acting like she was in real danger.

Things got even weirder after that. Something to do with her son (my friend from the hospital) having to also astral travel, or whatever it was they were doing, to the hospital to help her. Unfortunately this is where things get hazy. I don't really remember much after that point as I was so unbelievably frightened I think I ran out of the room.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jazzyq, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-20)
Thanks very much for posting this experience. Just been watching an interesting documentary about Australian hauntings and this hospital came up.

Here's a link:

Https://youtu.be/QeNc9pDbCSE?t=27m57s
jazzyq (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
[at] angela_maria97 we were kids at the time and never went into the building nor were we thinking about ghosts at all but thanks for your input O.0
angela_maria97 (14 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-08-29)
you guys went into a place that was abandon and also run down and saw a ghost now here is something to consider... The hospital is were she died and spent most of her living life and you guys disrupted her especially your best friends mom so I think you guys should blame yourself cause you looked for trouble... 😐
freakedoutfreddy (1 stories) (77 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-28)
Abandoned hospitals are scary places! I think they are a good place to find ghosts even if not looking for them.

Good story, dude1
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-26)
Yes being from Perth myself I am familiar with the old York Hospital, I have also heard that the nurse was raped and murdered there. It does not surprise me that after something so terrible that she continues to make her presence known. There are quite a few accounts of hauntings etc my work colleague who is actually sitting next to me at the moment has had an experience within the old building when he was younger, it definitely is quite active. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
GreyFeather (44 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-25)
Maybe the woman was so mean and did horrible things to in life, and now she's afraid to cross over. I'm sure those patients aren't so helpless now, and will help her like she helped them.
harrypotterfan2013 (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-23)
was she dead in the hosbittle and was she scary looking? And good story 😐 🤔 😉
jazzyq (1 stories) (16 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-23)
Hi Christine-Pandora thanks for reading, I have looked at all sorts of info on the hospital over the years as you can imagine I have always been very curious about the place, I did recently find a video on YouTube it was an old TV show called the haunted or something like that it was quite old I think it possibly came out in the late 70s early 80s, one thing that I found quite interesting is when I saw her she was in one of the top windows on the right hand side of the building out the back, and a lot of people say things happen on the upper floor of the building I wonder if that window is the room people talk about.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-22)
I too should mention that I can't say if I believe you or not as I need to be there or experience the place myself but I do believe there is something at the hospital and from what you've stated a lot matches up for example one of the ladies in the link I previously submitted on this story was being possessed I think and she ended up with bruises around her neck, there's more to it but i'll let you read it from the links 😊
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-22)
As I live in the general Perth area of Western Australia and York isn't too far away I became rather curious and decided to do some snooping, from what I believe is that a lot of people have had experiences with a female nurse at this hospital from slamming doors, wailing/crying and more.
It is said that she was raped and murdered in one of the top floors of the building, maybe she is just traumatized by what happened to her?

Here are some links I read up about this from:

Http://www.castleofspirits.com/yorkhospital.html

Http://hauntedspotslibrary.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/weekly-haunted-spot-1-old-york-hospital-australia/

Http://www.paranormal.com.au/public/index.php?topic=1416.0

I'm sure if you all just do a quick google search you could find more 😊

I too would love to know what has become of your friend and his mother and if you've remembered anything further upon submitting this story.

Please keep us posted! 😊
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
Thank you for the story JazzyQ... Sounded like a mean, trapped spirit. Hopefully one day she'll find peace

Notjustme
jazzyq (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-19)
Thanks for reading my story sorry to leave you hanging but honestly that is all I can remember.
Swimsinfire: I haven't had contact with these people since not long after this happened I moved to a different state on the other side of Australia.
Taurus83: the woman was my friends mum, I didn't pass out I'm pretty sure I just kind of ran out of the room it was very frightening and I have always been very scared of the paranormal from seeing all of this when I was young thankfully I have only ever seen anything paranormal 1 other time.
Lady-glow: I did find an old documentary a few weeks back with a story on it about the hospital and some info about a matron who worked there I think she was very mean: (it was very freaky how similar some of the things people on the doco said to what I experienced I will have to try and find it to share.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
Yikes! If she was that mean while alive I would feel sorry for her patients. 😨

Great story, I'd love to read a second part.
Thanks for sharing.
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
[at] jazzyq, I agree with swimsinfire. You did leave me wondering how it ended. Whether or not your mom helped the spirit move on. I believe it happened as well, and being so young at the time maybe you were to frightened and passed out. I would have loved to be in your shoes at that moment. Sounds exciting and terrifying all at the same time. Great story! 😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-18)
Erm, I believe this happened, but you kind of leave us hanging in the end. Are these people around, that you can ask them details of what happend? There realy are people that astral travle and do spiritual work, and it's complicated. Not may people get to witness what you saw. It would be nice to get the details if it's possible. Thanks for the story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: