You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Who's Knocking On My Front Door?

Real Ghost Stories

Who's Knocking On My Front Door?

 

We moved into a very cool older (60's) Spanish style home on a mountainside in June. We are renting from the son of the original owner who passed away in assisted living earlier this year.

The house is beautiful and at one time was very well manicured on the outside as well. After being a rental for a number of years the yard had been pretty neglected.

I knew from the moment I saw the house that we would live there. I had dreams about it after seeing it.

So, our very first night there I was upstairs and my husband in the basement and I heard 4 faint but distinct knocks on the front door. I called for my husband to come see who it might be. No one was there. He proceeded back down the stairs and not but a few minutes later 4 more knocks but a little harder (not pounding just more pronounced).

He came back up with wide eyes and again, no one there. After we both went to the basement to settle in for a movie the old iron bell at our entryway rang once.

We have kids and didn't want to freak ten out so we didn't tell them about our first night.

A few weeks later while the kids were in the basement and my husband and I were out front, my daughter opened the door and asked why we were knocking?

A few weeks have passed with no knocking. Then Saturday night as we lay down to bed around 12:30 we hear 4 single knock evenly spaced followed by 4 together. My husband for up with a handgun to secure the house...

Then this morning around 3:30 my husband was awoken by the same knocking, on the front door.

Each time we have opened to see if someone was there; however, after the first time I entered the front foyer and spoke out loud, "We heard you and know that you are here but you are not welcome inside. We promise to love this home, we are good people." I did some thing similar inside as well.

I feel as though the sweet old woman who lived here for so many yeas and loved her home so much has come back to find peace in a familiar place.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Candymom, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
Unfortunately, I regret to admit that as a teenager... And even more regrettably so even more recently as an adult, we would have parties, get blitzed, and decide it would be a good idea to knock on our neighbors' doors at 3:00 AM... So it happens. (and by "neighbors" that also includes one time a farmhouse about 3 miles down a country road when we were having a bonfire and road our bikes through a cornfield mess with them).

How close were the other houses? Was there any way to look outside to see that nobody was running away giggling after you heard the knocks? This is kind of hard to say is paranormal unless you're waiting on the other side of the door and open it up as soon as you hear a knock and go "AH HA!" and catch the knocker, or lack of knocker. I can tell you from experience that bored local teenagers like to mess with the new neighbors sometimes. (and before people get all upset with me, I've been on the receiving end of that too, what goes around comes around!).
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
Candymom - before getting to your story, I'd like to answer your question. Not all animals, including dogs, react the same way. Some do respond to "ghostly activity" and yet others don't seem to notice. I believe animals to be like people. Some are sensitive, gifted, aware... Whatever word you choose to use... To the paranormal; others are not. I really don't know that you can rely on your dogs' reaction. You know what you and your family experienced.
Candymom (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
I forgot to add that we have two small dogs that bark at knocks at the door or bell even if it on the TV however, they have not heard or been alarmed by any of the knocks that my husband and I and children have clearly heard...
Aren't dogs typically sensitive to this type of thing?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: