You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Ghost Encounter In My Village

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Encounter In My Village

 

My native village named Edaiyapatti is in southern part of India near the temple city Madurai. My grandparents are living there and I used to spend my summer vacations with them.

Unlike city people, villagers have strong belief in ghost existence and possessions. Though I haven't experienced any paranormal in person, I have heard so many stories told by my grandmother. I believe her completely after all entire village including my other family members witnessed so many things. I wish to share two particular stories.

Lady at Night:

The priest of our village temple is residing near village border in a very lonely house surrounded by paddy fields. There is a well near to his house as well. One night around 12am he woke up and went outside the house to pee (Indian villages won't have toilet built in). As soon as he came out, he saw a woman passing by. He was not scared or afraid as he thought it was someone from the village. He called her out to check what she was doing there at that time. She didn't listen, so he followed her as if he has been mesmerized. After few minutes he got conscious and then he realized he was standing at the edge of the well. The woman vanished without a trace. Next morning the priest came to my grandfather and illustrated the whole story. My grandfather is the village chief and a firm believer in God who owns a temple. My grandfather advised him to conduct Poojas to get rid of this bad encounter.

The ghost woman he saw is believed to be the newly married woman who died accidentally by slipping into a well on a rainy day in our village a few months before. Exactly a year later to her death, her Father-in-law died of heart attack while repairing a motor inside the same well. That was an absolute coincidence, I was in my village at the time of her father-in-law's death, and it was then believed that the woman's death is not an accident.

A Possession:

In our village, they never allow girls to go to farm fields after 6pm. There is a belief that empty/vast lands are the places for ghosts. Once a girl named Lakshmi came to our village for vacation to her aunt's house. They resided very near to us. She is not aware of our local language (Tamil) as she was born and brought up in other state where they speak the language called Malayalam. One evening she went out with her friends to a nearby ground to play and came home after 7pm. Since then her behavior changed. She acted rude, didn't speak to anyone and was staring at things. The whole night she was sitting in the room corner. Her family sensed something bad and they called for a priest. He carried out some rituals and chanted holy words to her, immediately she started shouting at him in our local language asking him to leave her. She spoke in such a way that she got excellent fluency in our language which is actually not. The entire crowd gathered, shocked, and they couldn't believe what they were seeing/hearing. My grandmother was among the crowd. It took several hours for the priest to calm her down. The next day she became normal and couldn't remember anything that happened on the previous day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Yalisai, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostlysmile (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-02)
Hi these stories are awesome, these stories are similar to my one

Ghostlysmile
Yalisai (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-04)
Hello SDS,

Thanks for your feedback.

Since I was not in the places at the time these encounters occured,
I couldn't elaborate more or give detailed information. Both the stories
Are told by my grandma.

In future I will try to detail more
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
Dear Yalisai, it is good to see your first story uploaded in the site. Welcome to YGS. It is nice to read stories and encounters relating to their own country. In that way, I am quite fascinated. I am from Tamilnadu, Chennai. I have lived in towns and villages and come across variety of incidents.

Well written narrative but still like swinsinfire said, you can do a bit of elaboration and explain the circumstances, background for the benefit of readers from other countries.

Thanks for sharing. Hope to hear more from you.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Yalisai (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
Thanks Valkricry

Hi Swimsinfire, yeah she has spoken in a language she didn't knew. Next day she didn't remember anything. Her parents got scared and immediately took her back to home.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Yalisai,
Welcome to YGS! Thank you for sharing these encounters.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Great stories. Maybe a little more detail. The little girl spoke to the priest in a language she didn't know? Did she remember any of this incident? Hope all is well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: