You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House At The End Of The Street

Real Ghost Stories

The House At The End Of The Street

 

I've lived in a couple of places where strange things have happened. The most recent was my last apartment that I lived in for a year, back in 2001. It was an small, old apartment building located at the end of a dead end street.

I moved in with my dad, my brother and my boyfriend at the time. Everything was fine at first. But we slowly began to notice that the atmosphere of the apartment felt oppressive. It just felt stifling and heavy there. Like, the air of the apartment just seemed very oppressive and heavy. And it never felt like home. When you first move into a new place, it takes some getting used to but eventually you acclimate and it feels like home, like "your" home. This apartment never felt like that.

There were a number of incidents that happened there that I can't explain. A few times, there was a loud pounding on the screen door at the entrance of our building (we lived on the 2nd floor). One time it happened at 10:00 PM and the second time it happened at 5:00 AM.

The first time it happened, I was hanging out with some friends when we heard a loud banging on the front door to my building. My dad went downstairs to see who it was but there was no one there. He went out into the small front yard and even down to the driveway and around back. He found no one. The second time it happened my boyfriend and I were up (we were serious night owls) and laying in bed, talking, when suddenly we heard the same really loud banging on the downstairs front door. It scared us because it was so loud and sudden. We peered through our window down onto the front porch, but there was no one there. There was this little awning that hung over where the front door was, so obviously we couldn't see under it from where we were.

My boyfriend said, "I'm going to go downstairs and check it out." I pleaded with him not to but he went downstairs anyway. While he was on his way downstairs, I stayed in our room and looked out the window, looking to see if I'd find someone running away. He went outside just like my dad had done the last time this happened. I saw no one while I kept a lookout, and when my boyfriend came back upstairs, he said there was no one there, of course.

One night, my brother and I were hanging out watching a movie. Suddenly there was a really loud crashing/banging noise on the front door of our apartment. My brother got up and tried opening the door. It wouldn't budge. He tried for a couple of minutes to get the door open, but it just would not open. We had a back door to the apartment, so he went out our back door, down the stairs and out the back door of the building and came back up to our apartment's front door through the front of the building. He got the door open and a pile of boxes came tumbling into our apartment when he opened our door.

We had this narrow landing outside of our apartment in the hallway. My father had boxes of books stored there. They were pushed back on the landing, a couple of feet away from the door to our apartment. Now, my dad was very meticulous in stacking these boxes. They weren't stacked lackadaisically. The bigger, heavier boxes were on the bottom, and they got lighter and smaller toward the top and they were stacked about five or six boxes high. They sat there for months without ever being moved or knocked over. But somehow they not only fell over after sitting there for a long time, but somehow moved forward and "then" fell over and into the door in such a way that they landed underneath the doorknob and kind of wedged it shut so that it couldn't be opened.

The building we lived in was built in the 1920s or so. It had been a house at one point but was eventually converted into two apartments (first floor and second floor) and there was an attic on the third floor. We checked out the attic one day. It was empty save for an old trunk and pictures of trains from a magazine taped to the walls of the attic. Nothing happened while we were up there looking around. But after checking the attic out, I would wake up some mornings from a nightmare and I would think to myself, "The attic is giving me nightmares." I don't know where that thought came from and it kind of freaked me out. That would happen from time to time.

I remember talking with my best friend (who's now my boyfriend) once and telling him how I kept getting these really bad headaches. I casually said, "The attic is coming down here and giving me headaches" and I laughed. After saying that and laughing I thought to myself, "Why did I say that and why did I think that was funny?"

There were times where I would be in my room, reading or just hanging out, when all of a sudden I would "smell" the attic. It was that old, musty smell that the attic in our building had. It would show up out of nowhere and just as suddenly disappear. This would happen even in the middle of winter, when it wasn't humid out.

In addition to the apartment feeling oppressive and suffocating, stuff broke there all the time. At the end of the year, right before we moved out, I made a list of all the things that had broken and I ended up with a total of 30-35 things, appliances mostly. These weren't old appliances either, some of them were brand new but they would just stop working or would "literally" fall apart.

One night while I was in bed reading, I heard a loud "tap-tap-tap" on my bedroom window. I pulled the curtain back and of course there was nothing there (we lived on the 2nd floor). This tapping noise wasn't a bug flitting against the window. It was a set of loud, deliberate knocks, as though someone was rapping their knuckles against the window.

The creepiest thing that happened to me there happened at like 2 AM when I was home by myself. My dad and boyfriend both worked nights and my brother was spending the night at his girlfriend's. I was in bed reading, when I heard scratching at my bedroom door. I looked around and saw my one cat at the foot of my bed sleeping. I thought, "It must be Grey (my other cat)." But I was a little freaked out because she never scratched at the door when she wanted to be let in, she would always meow.

I was so cozy in bed that I told myself, "If she scratches again, I'll get up and let her in." I went back to reading and sure enough, about a minute later, there was scratching at the door again. The scratching emanated about a foot from the floor onto my bedroom door. It was a loud, slow and purposeful scratching. I got up and went to the door. This took me all of 5 seconds. I opened the door and said, "Come on, Grey--" and stopped. There was no cat. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. I peered into the dark living room because I was sure I'd see her, but I didn't. I then looked down into the kitchen (it was kind of a railroad apartment) and there, up on the kitchen table, was Grey. She was sleeping. I walked into the kitchen and she was passed out in a deep slumber. There was no way, in the five seconds it took me to open the door that she could've run all the way into the kitchen, hop up on the table and then pass out. I mean, cats are fast, but they're not that fast.

There were other things that happened there. Things would disappear never to be seen again, even though I know I left the item in a specific spot. It would feel like you were being watched, or rather, glared at in the living room. The glaring seemed to originate from the couch in our living room, especially at night. You'd walk through the room to get a drink from the kitchen and it would "feel" like someone was sitting on the couch intently staring at you.

And there was always that feeling like you were being smothered there. It never felt like "our" home. We kind of felt like we were guests who had overstayed our welcome pretty much the whole time we were there. We were only there for a year and thankfully the next apartment I moved into (the one I live in now) is perfectly normal and not creepy at all.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Radish23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jennbean (1 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-02-17)
Hey! So I think I've been waiting for this moment for so long it's crazy my friend came across this story and just had to send it to me because I just moved out of that same house and had some crazy things happen to me and my family as well I know your story was posted about 6 years ago but hopefully you will see this and get back to me because if you are interested I would love to talk to you about some things.
Radish23 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-02)
No problem, Limey:) Will definitely let you know if I find out anything about the history of the place, and if I talk to the current residents!
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-13)
Found it Radish. That's quite a street. Thanks for your patience with my questions, and please let us know if you are able to get anything from the current residents. I have a feeling that they will have their own stories. Thanks again.
Radish23 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-12)
Hi Limey:) I'm sure I'll find the nerve to contact the current residents soon enough. And I definitely want to do research on the building itself. That's neat that you discovered family after doing some research.:)

I don't remember the exact address of the building, but if you type in "65 Caroline Avenue, Clifton, New Jersey, 07011", you'll find a street view of it on Google Maps. You'll see it immediately once you click on "street view". It's the last house on the left--it's three stories high and it's a brown and light yellowish beige building.

Diagonally across the street from my old apartment is a small patch of land where the old graveyard was. There's a sign that says "City of Clifton Property No Trespassing" there and I don't see the grave anymore. I don't know if vandals knocked it down or if the town did it. I should take a ride over there to see if it's actually down.

It looks like the building has a new front door (no more screen door) and new windows. When we lived there, the windows were glass slat windows. The double windows on the second floor are where my bedroom was and where I heard that knocking on my window the one night.

Even the hallway of the building was creepy. When leaving or entering the building, it always felt like someone was staring at you from the end of the first floor hallway, where the front door to the first floor apartment was. *Always* felt like someone was standing there watching you. I live in a similar type of apartment building now and I never feel that way when coming home or leaving here. But at that place I, and others, always felt like we had to run very quickly upstairs or outside to the safety of our cars.
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Hello again Radish;

Thanks for your helpful response. I agree that doing a bit of research takes some effort, and can lead to disappointment (including possibly meeting some disinterested people), but that will have to be up to you. As an aside, I'm working on my family tree, and discovered recently that a cousin of my mother's has lived for thirty years just a few miles from where I live. This is a cousin that she didn't know she had. Research can turn up some interesting and rewarding pieces of information. You just never know.

Back to your story. If you could just do one thing. Possibly provide the street address of the apartment, so that we could Google, to see the building.

On the balloon issue; probably unrelated, but of course there's no way of knowing. Just a ufo pure and simple.

Look forward to hearing from you again.
Radish23 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-05)
Okay, here's something else. I don't know why I didn't mention this experience before. I guess because it didn't happen *in* my apartment, but in the general area of my neighborhood.

The first night we spent in the apartment, my boyfriend and I had this strange experience: We were in bed, talking. The lights were off. Suddenly, my boyfriend exclaimed, "What the hell is that?" and leapt to the couch that sat under our huge bedroom window. I asked him what was going on and he said, "Look!" and pointed toward the sky. I went over to the couch and looked outside.
There in the night sky, about 100 feet above us, were these balloon things. That's the best way to describe them. They looked like these off-white balloons and they had a faint glow to them. There were about seven of them. They were in a line, one in front and the rest following behind. Each "balloon" emitted a faint glow.
They flew in a *straight* line across the sky and looked to be going at a relatively quick speed. We watched them head west and just stared until we couldn't see them anymore.
I don't know *what* that was all about. They weren't balloons, because balloons don't fly in a straight line, they float. These things, whatever they were, were purpose-driven. What that purpose was, I don't know and I guess I never will.
Radish23 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-05)
Oh, I meant to mention that the basement apartment was empty and unfinished. There was a finished bathroom and bedroom, but there wasn't a finished kitchen. That's why I was able to sneak down there to take a shower--no one was living there at the time.

The attic, although not particularly creepy, *did* have an air of loneliness to it. There was a sadness to the place. I remember that there was this really old wooden trunk up there that I fell in love with and wanted to take. It was too big to fit through the attic door (it was a very narrow doorway), so I ended up just leaving it there. In retrospect, I'm glad I did. Who knows if the creepiness would have followed me here to the apartment I live in now if I *had* taken it.

Something really horrible happened to me while I was living there that I didn't mention. This is going to sound so weird that I'm hesitant to tell it.

One night, I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I noticed a hairbrush sitting on the bathroom sink. It was a hard plastic brush with those really thin, black plastic bristles. --You know the bristles that are super thin? It was like that. I had never seen the brush before. I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and grabbed it and brushed my hair with it. I figured maybe it was my dad's or something and he had left it out.
Some time later, maybe a week or so, I found out I had freaking head lice. It was from that hairbrush. We have *no* idea where it came from. It didn't belong to anyone in the house, and trust me when I say I grilled everyone about it. It seemed to appear out of nowhere. It was a horrible, *horrible* experience. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

If I remember anything else, I'll post it here.
Radish23 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-05)
Thanks so much, everyone, for your comments! I'm going to try to respond to everyone who asked questions.

Kaysie_x: The only time there were three knocks was when I heard the knocking on my window. I don't remember the how many knocks there were each time the downstairs door was pounded on. The same goes for the scratching on my bedroom door--I just don't recall, unfortunately. 😢
I know that there are people living there now. I'm very tempted to stop by and ask them if they've experienced anything odd. The apartment is literally five minutes from here, so it's easily accessible. I just have to work up the nerve to contact the current residents.

Limey:
1. I had pictures of the building, but I don't know if I still have them.
2. I'm really nervous about doing that. I'm tempted to, though. Something I didn't mention in the story: there was an old graveyard across the street. There's only one grave standing, but there are supposed to be seven people buried there altogether. I found this out through my town historian after writing to him about the lone grave. I sometimes wonder if that has something to do with the haunting. And it makes me wonder if other people in the neighborhood experience anything in their homes. The whole neighborhood has that same oppressive feeling as my apartment.
3. 4. & 5. Again, I have to work up the nerve to talk to people about this. I'm nervous about doing it because I don't want people looking at me like I'm nuts, lol.

It's funny. My brother and I were talking one day while we lived there and he suddenly said, "There's an old man who lives in the attic and he's really depressed." My brother and I both seem to have these weird experiences where we *know* things without anyone saying anything. So, I wonder if there was an old man who did live there at one time.

Also, although the experiences were creepy, I don't think it was altogether bad. One thing that happened, that I didn't mention in the story was when a pack of cigarettes went missing. My boyfriend and I were going to sleep this one night. I was feeling frustrated about smoking. I grabbed my cigarettes off of my night table and flung them across the room because I was so fed up with smoking. I was like, "I'm done! I'm sick of smoking!"

Of course the next morning, I wasn't feeling so confident. I was going to have my coffee and wanted to have a couple of cigarettes with my coffee. The night before, I threw them straight across the room. I heard the pack hit the opposite wall and fall to the floor. Logic dictates that they should've landed right where I threw them. But when I went to look for them, I couldn't find them. I looked *everywhere* for these cigarettes and I never found them. I know my boyfriend didn't take them because he didn't smoke menthols like me. I never saw them again and I looked *everywhere*--like all over the apartment. So, that kind of leads me to believe that whatever was there, wasn't all bad. Maybe it was just lonely or something. 😕

I remember right before we moved out, something happened to our hot water heater, so we had no hot water for like a week (our landlord was the worst).
There was an apartment in the basement that had a bathroom. I went down there one day to take a quick shower. I was so totally creeped out down there. I mean, basements are kind of creepy in general, but I just had this overwhelming feeling of "I gotta get out of here!" the whole time I was showering. I remember that when I got out of the shower, there were these little black bugs, like a group of them on the floor right outside the shower stall. They looked like they had just hatched from somewhere because they were crawling around slowly and they were crawling closely to each other.
I was completely repulsed by them and remember thinking that those bugs were just the *perfect* embodiment of that building.

If I do get around to contacting the people who live there, or if I find anything out about the property, I'll definitely post it!

Shlain: I agree. I feel that there was something in the attic that was affecting me and that's why I had those thoughts pop into my head.

Like I said, if I do work up the nerve to contact the people living there now, or if I find anything out about the place, I'll post it here!
kaysie_x (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
Wow that's definitely creepy, I think if that happened to me I wouldn't of stayed in there for as long as you did. This is very good story-telling by the way, i've just got to add it to my favourites. A few questions though - were the taps you mention coming in 3's? Because noises or anything like that that comes in groups of 3 are normally to make a mockery of the the father, son and the holy spirit from a dark spirit.
And even though this happened a long time ago, are you aware of anyone else that lived in the house either before or after you? If so, would it be possible to contact these people/persons and ask whether they have experienced the same things you did?
Sparkie (6 stories) (30 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
Am I ever so glad this didn't happen when I was living in my apartment! Though I did have a random person walk in one night thinking it was his apartment /: Nothing paranormal though lol.
Great story though! Definitely one of the most interesting ones I've read. And very detailed. Glad to hear it doesn't happen at your new place! 😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
I lived in an old place like that once. Glad you're out of yours. Research might be fun, or then again you might be thrilled as all get out to never see the place again.
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
Hi Radish23;

Great story, and well told. It's too bad that these events occurred twelve years ago, because it might be easier to conduct some research if it was more recent. However, if I was in your position, (and I didn't live too far way) there is no doubt that I would do a few things;
1. Take a picture or two of the building.
2. If there are single family homes in the area, the owners may have some knowledge of the history of the building and/or your apartment. I'd ask them.
3. The archives of the local newspaper may have something on events that took place in the house.
4. I don't know how co-operative the local police will be, but if a crime took place there, they may still have records.
5. Finally (and this may be the motherlode), somebody in the local real estate community will certainly have some knowledge of the property, as will the current owners and current tenants.

Clearly something bad has happened in this property, and some residual energy has remained. We don't understand residual energy, and probably never will, but I can almost guarantee that you will at least find some corroborating stories, and may actually find out what happened, and when.

This is an intriguing story Radish, I look forward to hearing anything else that you can add to it.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
Hey Radish23.

I believe there was something in your attic making itself known throughout the rest of the apartment. Our instincts are our most powerful indicator of the paranormal. Having those 'now why did that pop into my mind?' thoughts is your sixth sense kicking in alerting you to a change in your environment. They may seem odd, but believe them!

Thanks for sharing 😊
_LalaBesos_ (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-01)
Wow! I thought my apartment was creepy! I'm glad things are better now for you

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: