You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Some Of My Childhood Experiences

Real Ghost Stories

Some Of My Childhood Experiences

 

I am not sure if I believe in paranormal activities but I have experienced a few things over the years that I have not been able to explain.

The first of my experiences is not a direct memory as I was only a small child (around 3 or 4) but something my mum has shared with me in recent years. As a child I spent a lot of time around my grandmother's house and during these visits my mum has said that I spent a lot of time in my grandmother's bedroom talking to a little girl who I claimed to see. Thinking that I was either talking to myself or an imaginary friend my mum did not think much of it until she questioned me. I informed her of the clothes the little girl was wearing as being of a Victorian style (lace up boots, apron) and that she wanted to go to school but couldn't because she was blind. My mother, and particularly my grandmother, were freaked out by this as such a small child would have no knowledge of Victorian dress. My mum's account of these experiences have struck a chord with me as though on some level I knew what she was referring to.

Another experience I have had occurred many years later when my family moved house when I was around 14. My parents had bought the house after the previous owner, Elizabeth Hart, had died. I don't know a lot about her but I found out that she had shared the house with her sister who she did not get along with. A lot of these memories are hazy now but I do remember feeling utterly terrified at the time.

I believe I occupied the room which had belonged to Elizabeth's sister and after clearing various items out of the house I came across a silver music box in my parents room, which had been Elizabeth's. I took the box into my room and forgot about it.

Over the following weeks I experienced some nightly goings on that scared the life out of me. While asleep one night, I was awoken by the sound of music from the music box and a lamp falling off my desk and hitting the floor. Thinking nothing of it, I went back to sleep.

The same thing happened a few more times on subsequent nights until I sought advice from my grandmother. Although she's not particularly spiritual she is very religious and regularly goes to see mediums. She advised me to put rosary beads around the lamp, which I did. The lamp did not fall off my bedside table that night, but the rosary beads had been snapped. After this I removed the music box from my room and never heard anything again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, heather_doolan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BlondeBlueEyedGirl (1 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-09-04)
Wow, that is creepy. Were you hallucinating? You may be. Maybe not.
heather_doolan (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
Oh wow I didn't expect comments so soon! In regards to the history of my grandmother's house, I have briefly looked into it and it is shown on a map of the area in 1906. It is a terrace and somewhere along the street there is a date, I will have to check the next time I visit.
Since writing these memories down I have asked my mum more about what she can remember and she told me that sometimes she would come into the bedroom where I sat talking to the little girl and she would ask me if she was there, I would look around and either reply yes or no.
In regards to my experiences with Elizabeth Hart, I had a weird experience last week. My younger brother was about five when we moved into the house and wasn't aware of any of this and since I have moved out he now has my room. I went round the other day and he told me that he swore he'd seen a figure in the room so I told him what I had experienced months after moving in.
Also, having bought the topic up again with my parents my dad told me that after about six months of moving in my mum seen a figure on the stairs. They hadn't mentioned it to me at the time because they knew I was already freaked out. My father also remembered the music box. Before our family could move in a lot of work was done on the house, he said he remembered thinking that the music box was indestructible as the work went on around it.
I'm not sure what all of this means. My brothers experience shocked me as he had no idea at the time.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
Interesting account! Thanks for sharing!

Have you looked into the history of your grandmother's house at all to see if you can learn anything about the blind little Victorian girl?
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
Hi heather, welcome to YGS! Interesting account.
Your mother's recounting of events that you were too young to remember striking a chord for you is very plausible. After all, the memories are still there just buried.
I wonder if Elizabeth was offended at having the music box in Sister's room? For a very long time my sister and I had to share a room. Even the dresser was shared. However we each had our own small 'chest' to keep special things in. I can't tell you how bad some of our donnybrooks got when discovering one had something of the other's! 😆 Worst was if I had say one of my older brother's comic books. I might find one of my dolls missing a head in retaliation. Once, I walked in to find all my dolls (I only owned like 3) hanging by miniature nooses, and the comic book was missing. Terrifying for a 5/6 year old. What you describe puts me in mind of this sibling get even type thing.
ConfederateGhost (16 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
Hmmm maybe you were on the Jameson, but around 3 - 4 years old it seems a bit unbelievable... 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: