You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Crying Baby

Real Ghost Stories

The Crying Baby

 

It was 2002, I was 16 at the time and we just moved to a new house in George, South Africa. It was a lovely house with a big shady garden and the first couple of months everything was fine, with no sign of any "activities" to my relief as all our previous houses had "tenants".

One Sunday we had unexpected guests that slept over and left early the Monday morning. That Monday afternoon when my mother picked me up from school she told me what a good laugh she got out of my dad the previous night.

He told her he heard a baby crying, and every time he got to the room it was emanating from it would die down and start somewhere else in the house. She was sure it must have been the toddler of the people that stayed over the previous night.

Naturally I was scared out of my wits, and when the evening grew closer I was terrified. I didn't get much sleep that night, but nothing happened, and I told myself my mom was right my dad just imagined it.

The following evening my best friend at the time was sleeping over. It was past midnight when I woke up from a baby's crying. I immediately woke my friend up and asked her if she heard it. We tried to tell ourselves that is was just the cats making a racket, as it was that time of year, but the crying grew louder and to our horror, a woman's voice joined in trying to lull the baby with a very eerie lalalala.

We were both too scared to get out of bed, I desperately wanted to switch on the light and call my dad, but I just couldn't pluck up the courage to do it, neither could my friend. The door was slightly ajar and we were afraid of what we would find on the other side of it. The crying would stop for short intervals, but then start up again, worse than before. When the crying got too much we started calling my dad, half hysterically I must add.

I still don't know how my parents got to my room so fast. My dad immediately knew what was wrong. I remember my mom still asked me to close the windows as it was freezing in my room, but I didn't have any open.

My father said a prayer, and we ended up sleeping in my parent's room for the rest of the night. I would wake up in cold sweat for weeks to come after that.

Needless to say I still get the chills when I think back to that night.

The only explanation we could come up with was that my room must have been a nursery and a baby probably died there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, suene123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

suene123 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
Thanks for the comments guys.

We only lived there for a year. The strangest think happend, the next morning. Obviously I didn't go to school as I didn't get much sleep the previous night. I was home alone sitting in the living room when I heard a baby's gurgling laughter. Whether it was my imagination or the baby finding peace I don't know.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
Tiredofbeingscaredandalone... Wow, interesting that you find yourself in astral form when you get harassed by this spirit. I wonder if it more lucid dreaming than an actual nightmare. In my opinion you can go about this two ways. You can challenge it on the astral plane (which seems to be what's happening without your conscious consent) or you can deal with it awake, aware of the physical world. Before you do anything drastic, read up and educate yourself on astral travel. Some people think that the astral body travels from the physical body in sleep (which accounts for that falling sensation as you wake abruptly while drifting off sometimes). This will help you to understand what's happening (what it sounds like to me at least). If you find yourself in astral form and afraid, you can follow your silver cord back to your body. Between your astral body and your physical body (some people say the naval) you have a cord of light that connects the two. Alternately, deal with this entity in the physical realm, possibly a better option if you are frightened of it and not channelling these out of body experiences consciously. Pray and ask for protection every evening as you bed down. Light a candle, somewhere safe, to burn through the night. Frankincense is an excellent oil to anoint both yourself and this candle with. A very powerful and healing plant oil, used in exorcism for a thousands of years:) (go tha frankincense!) also sea salt, in a ring around your house. Let me know how you go:)
TiredofbeingScaredandalone (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
In 2002 we bought our first home. My son was born that May. He was the perfect baby, never cried, always took two hour naps and just never fussed. On several occasions after putting him to bed I would either hear from the other room or be awaken by a baby crying. At times it was my son but on many occasions we would check on him and nothing. After months of this we would just stand and watch him after hearing the crying and he never made a sound. Even after walking back into the other room the crying would start again. It got to a point after the first year where we just started ignoring it and the crying would almost become faint. I would still pause the TV every now and then though and just listen. It still puzzles me and though it creeped us out in the beginning we just excepted that something must have happened in our home and thr was nothing we could do about it. My son is 11 now and the crying hasnt happened in years. Whats scary is that for the last 6 years I have had the most vivid reacurring nughtmare, that something is in my room hovering over me as I wake then I levitate off the bed, the dark figure grabs me and I struggle but with no strength at all, then I'm almost paralized. I immediately in every instance start reciting the Lords prayer in its entirety over & over and completely feel myself trying to sit up & open my eyes, then I wake, sweating and scared out of my mind. The only changes in this nightmare is sometimes I levitate to the ceiling and donot see but feel the presence and sometimes the figure grabs me in the air and slowly pushes me against the wall. I always resite the Lords prayer over & over though. I have had this over 30 times & at times for days in a row for a month ir so, then nothing for months. It started after I stopped smoking herbs. Since, I would smoke once in a while when I'm going through really stressful times and days after I will 7 out of 10, have this nightmare, but also when I have not smoked. Anyone have an idea if this is more than a dream? Not trying to thread jack, Sorry.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Poor little mite. Light a candle for its lost spirit and let it burn through the night. Sometimes recognition and comfort is all a spirit requires for a sense of peace. It's worked for me. Child spirits always make me sad. Good luck x
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
That was creepy!

How long did you live in that house? Was it common to hear the baby crying and the woman singing that eerie lullaby? Did your mother ever hear them and believed what your father had told her?
Did you ever try to research if the theory of the old nursery was true?

Thanks for sharing.
Kayla_Lynn (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
I agree with spiritwaiting. It sounds residual, as it doesn't react to your presence in the house.

I too have had an experience with ominous baby crying. I was home alone (other than my grandma's dog), sitting in my grandma's chair which is located directly across from the bathroom. Watching TV, minding my own business, when suddenly I hear a baby crying. It was coming from the bathroom that was like, twenty feet away from where I was sitting. I stared into the bathroom (the door was wide open) and of course, saw an empty, dark bathroom.

Needless to say, I was scared pooless and bolted out of the house. I absolutely refused to go back inside until my grandma got back, which was two hours later. 😠 So I understand your fear. Completely.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
suene123, great story. Scary to say the least. It sounds like a residual haunting. Being it would happen only during evening hours.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: