You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Infamous Spirit Turn Table

Real Ghost Stories

Infamous Spirit Turn Table

 

I occasionally go back to my home country for visits. During one of the visits, my family and I traveled from central Vietnam to North. There are these wooden tables that are all over Vietnam, I saw 3 of them during this trip. These tables all look the same. I saw one in a temple, one at the bottom of the same temple but in a home-based coffee shop, and another one in a government park. All of them were in the city of Dalat. (People claim Dalat is super haunted.)

The tables look very simple. It is round and can turn. You can take the top off and place it on the ground if you wish, leaving just the stand. These tables will turn left or right, depending on your command. I was about 18 years old and not that spiritual yet. So I was very skeptical with this. So how it works is a few people would place one hand on the table and would ask it to go left or right, even faster or slower, and it would go on its own. Of course, right of the bat I'm thinking "Ouija table, but without words, only turning".

The first one I encountered was the one at the coffee shop at the bottom of the temple we were heading to next. Four of us placed our hand and told it to go left and it did. One of us said "faster", and it sped up. So, like anyone reading this story right now, I was thinking the same thing, "Let me try this myself". Everybody got off and I had one hand on it. The owner of the table told us we can command it in any language and in our heads too. So, in my head I told it to right in English, then left then faster or slower, and it did! I was amazed and wanted to know what the story was behind this. The owners informed us that it is not bad entities but more of ancestors. Actually we asked him to take the table off the stand and put it on the ground. And it still worked!

We also saw a little 4 year old German boy, and he was sitting in the middle of the table turning! He was controlling it with German =D

Next we went up the hill to the temple where another table sat. This one was crowded. There was about 8 people trying to make it move and it wasn't going. Curious, I placed my hand on it and it began to go. People got weirded out and took their hands off, and I continued to "play" on it for a few minutes.

At last, we went to the the 3rd table located at some tourist park. This one didn't work for me, as I tried for 10 minutes.

This is very interesting to me. Next time I go back I will definitely take a picture of it... But here's a link I found about it!

Http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/art-entertainment/25919/the-200-year-old-self-turning-table.html

Other hauntings by notjustme

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, notjustme, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Notamongsheep (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-07)
Thanks for the videos! Very interesting indeed. Next time I go I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these tables. Maybe I'll even ask my mom if it's possible to visit the house... However... I don't think anyone will go with me but my uncles, who are more likely to prank me! =P
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-09-29)
and this is a link to a video of the house I was talking about... Sorry no subtitles

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjSuTZ7uE 😐
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-09-29)
I have attached a link that relates to this story for anyone's interest. I just found this today, some tourists trying out the table.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhKItxk_eOU
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-09-29)
Notamongsheep - Thanks for reading my friend! Yes I've heard mostly ghost stories from Dalat and even went to the infamous Dalat ghost house. I didn't experience anything from it though. I went there with a small group of 7 people. Our driver refused to even park at the driveway, he parked the car on the road and we had to walk up the long drive way to the house where a man greeted us. He was the watcher of the house and shared many stories with us. He said the house is indeed haunted by vengeful spirits. He said at night many drivers going on this road sees a girl who hitches a ride but if you stop for her you're going to be in trouble. He gave us a tour too, but we didn't go upstairs because I felt very uncomfortable.
Notamongsheep (1 stories) (10 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-09-27)
Wow! Never knew Dalat was super haunted - every time we visit we take a family (family being like 30 people of course!) road trip to Dalat. Never had anything strange happen in the hotels, never seen anything out of the ordinary. Just a beautiful city. My mom has told me about hotels back home, though, and always jokes that she'll book me one and I can stay there! We've stayed in many hotels there while just trying to find stuff to do (we stay with my grandma, but sometimes we like to just go say somewhere else for a few days and adventure) and I've never had anything unusual happen. Ten again, I feel I'm not very spiritually tuned... I've never had any odd occurances happen to me! I've debated about typing my grandpa's story, because it's so short. But, since it relates to your stories, I'll post it here. My grandpa had a mistress at one time. The family went on a trip and checked into an old french hotel. My grandpa was taking a shower upstairs, when he ears someone open the door to the bathroom. He then heard someone saying his name. He talked back, but when he opened the shower curtain, no one was there. After showering, he went downstairs to ask if anyone had come up looking for him. He asked my grandma and mistress, both of them said everyone was downstairs the whole time (everyone usually wakes up early and all go downstairs to chat or get coffee or stand around outside, several times on the trip I feel like they all forgot about me because I'd be the only one left in the room!).
GreyFeather (44 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
So I Googled the table turning phenomena. It appears those tables are few, and only in a small central village of Vietnam; made by one 90 something year old man. It said the tables are for ancestor worship. Also, they're for private use, and rarely exhibited in public. There are many tables dedicated to ancestor worship, but only a handful (I think it said about 5) are made by this one man and can turn in response to yes/no questions.
Google-the conduit to truth.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
Wow an amazing story. I have never heard of this but it sound incredible!. Thank you for sharing. I hope hear from you soon and take care
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
Hi Hunter- sorry i'm not getting what you mean by past life? And what a good suggestion! I never thought of using it like that before. Thanks!
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
Tiredofbeingscaredandalone - I believe because no one knows how it works or have any background information on it, therefore there is nothing worth writing about. The only people interested are the people that saw it and tried it themselves, like me... And it doesn't capture one's attention for long, fascination maybe. Vietnam is also just beginning to establish themselves as a tourist place, whereas not many people may know about it. Even being a born native from there, I didn't learn about the table until that trip. So not surprised if it doesn't interests anyone to write about it. But thanks for reading and for your opinion.

Darkness - Yes it is interesting how it responds to any language. Had me scratching my head 😕...thanks for reading!
_Hunter_ (2 stories) (5 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
it's very interesting thing about the past life you have there. Try asking it yes or no questions and command it to turn according to your will. Like if it's yes turn right or left if no (questions like that). And find the history of which area it was first boarded from.

Cheers!

Hunter 😁
TiredofbeingScaredandalone (2 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
Skeptical? Why because their would be tons of articles, pictures and stories of such a significant experience that has to have been going on for centuries. Just witnessing this phenomenon by an American would have spawned books,articles,pictures and movies. Be awesome though if it was real or authentic. Just my opinion
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-09)
Wow I have never heard of these, very interesting, I like the fact they respond to any language and peoples thoughts. I get the the feeling there is a bit more to these tables then meets the eye, evironmental factors and ancint traditions etc. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-09)
Spiritwaiting and Swimsinfire - yes it was very intersting and fun for a while lol. One can only turn for so long. Interesting to know that people used to do "table-tipping", something I didn't know before. Thanks for the info! It must have more purpose than just enlightening us silly humans with turning. I feel a research coming on... 😁
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Very interesting story. I was completely interested in going to the website you listed but as usual my tablet wil not let me.
Anyways thanks for the great story.
Regards
Red
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
I wonder why the ancesters get into it. I believe it's happening. Only are they trying to start further conversation? Which might be interesting. Love the story.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
notjustme, wow! That sounds very interesting. And it also sounds a lot like what mediums would do back in the early days, its called table tipping. They would talk to the spirit and the spirit would lift the table, or they would do it with their finger tips and lift it up. I bet you had a great time doing that. I would have. Awesome story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: