You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Black Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

A Black Shadow

 

I'm 14 and I've always been unsure about ghosts but the last couple of weeks I beginning to believe they are real. I moved into my new home with my mum, dad, sister and my three brothers about 2 years ago. The house was brand new and is in a fairly big street so there are lots of people. The land before wasn't anything abnormal such as a graveyard.

When I first moved in everything was fine. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. But a couple of weeks ago I got up during the night to go to the toilet. As I walked along I looked down the stairs when I saw a black figure standing there. I continued on and went into the toilet. I was quite paranoid at this point. When I was going back to bed I looked down the stairs again and nothing was there. I thought it was just tiredness so I went back to bed and went to sleep.

It stopped after that until the other night there. I got into bed and left my bedroom door open. I was feeling slightly scared and I'm a little old to climb in with my mum. I could see the hallway in my mirror and I'm certain that things were moving. Everyone else in my house was sleeping. I shut my eyes tightly and opened them again, hoping it would go away. At first it did but after a while it came back. It was a dark grey shadow thing moving about. I was really tired and wanted to sleep so I slept with a torch. The next morning everything was fine. I got on with my day pretending it never happened.

That night I started to see the shadow about my house. I walked about keeping lights on to try and keep it away. I slept with a torch and my door shut. I had a strange dream that I was kidnapped, raped, and stabbed to death. I woke up terrified and confused. I thought that people can't die in dreams.

Last night I saw the shadow in the corner of my room so I slept with my nightlight on and a torch shining it every direction attempting to scare the thing away. It worked a little and allowed me to sleep a bit better.

I woke up during the night but I was half asleep so I can only remember it slightly. I remember seeing the black figure standing at the end of the hallway in my brother's room. My brother sleeps in my mum's bed when my dad isn't there. My hallway is an L shape. I'm at one end, my brother at the other, and the stairs and three bedrooms and the toilet in between.

I got up this morning after having a dream where I was with an old friend of mine and we were at her house, then someone came in with a knife and murdered me as my friend watched. I don't know what this means at all?

Today I've seen the black shadow about the house a few times but it has not showed itself as much as it had the other day. I was wondering if it was my mind playing tricks or if it could be reality? I don't know what to do.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shelby_99, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

addiemaerose57 (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Quick question, a torch is like a flashlight,right? Thats really creepy, I would be terrified.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-15)
Shelby;
14 is kind of an awkward age. No longer a child but far from being grownup. I think you misunderstood about people not dying in dreams. We can 'die' in our dreams (I once 'attended' my own funeral in one, as well as seeing my own murder) but we don't literally get killed in our dreams. So although in the dream we die, we don't get killed in real life.
Your dreams could be caused by any number of factors. If I watch the news and go to bed, I have nightmares. But I can watch the most horrifying movie and sleep like a baby. Go figure. It could also be things in your personal life triggering these dreams. The 'no one likes me, I'd be better off dead' scenario comes to mind. Now, I'm not saying that IS the case, it's just an example. Things happening in your neighborhood or to friends could be another. Add to that you are seeing this shadow, and your subconscious could be having a field day.
Is there a window in the hall - some place that light could enter and produce that shadow thing? Also, you mentioned being a little scared before seeing it the second time. Why were you apprehensive? Sometimes our minds will produce our fears, we imagine it, especially when tired.
You might try keeping a journal if you already don't. Sometimes that way you can find a common thread between the day's events and dreams, dreams and activity. As the others recommend you might want to mention this to your parents. You can do it casually, like its no big whoop, "Mom, it's weird but sometimes at night when I get up to use the toilet I think I see this shadow thing. Have you ever noticed it?"
Now, here's the $60 question for you, I know the shadow thing freaks you out, but does it 'feel' scary or like it wants to hurt you? What feeling does the shadow emit?
If the dreams are effecting you when awake- exhausted, grades falling, moody, irritable, things like that, then you definitely want to tell your parents about them, and maybe even see a doctor. Sometimes bad dreams are our bodies way of telling us something isn't right. It could be something as simple as stress. I know that my teen years were rather stressful for me and some of my friends as well. Anyway, a doctor could at least rule out any physical reasons.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-15)
I have read some (but not all) comments before I posted here, so I know some have ready asked questions and suggested some stuff that I am going to say. So sorry for any repetition.

(1) First thing first, is your family open to the paranormal? I'm asking because it could be easy or hard talking to them depending on what they believe. But both ways, talk to your parents and siblings. I don't know the age difference between your siblings but if you talk to them first, you will find out if they have experienced anything. Especially with the brother, whose room you saw the shadow in front of. It could be very possible that the times he slept in his room, he might have seen it also.

(2) Either with your family or on your own, I suggest finding out the history of the property. I know you mentioned that the house is fairly new and that it wasn't build on a burial site BUT the land itself could have history to it. I see that you live in England so I don't know how information about a particular land is kept but I think you can look into it.

(3) It could very possible that your age could be the reason this is happening. At 14, you are probably in the middle of puberty and your body is changing and growing. The paranormal tend to attach itself to people and places where the protection barrier is down. For example, when my family first brought the house, we had a Hindu priest come in and bless the house. Like anything else in life that protection tends to wear down. After an incident that happened at house, we ended calling the priest back to do another blessing (at the time of the second blessing, my family hadn't kept of the cleansing after the first time priest came by, which was about two years). After the priest blessed the house again, we didn't have any incidents and now we doing the cleansing on our own about ever six months.

Basically, what I'm saying is this shadow/entity probably was able to enter your house because (1) there was little to no protection on the house and / or (2) since your body is going though the natural changes, that protective barrier that we put up subconsciously is down and easier for the paranormal to attach itself to you.

(4) Another poster asked this and I'm asking you also, did you or any of your siblings "bring" home an entity. For example, did anyone visit a graveyard or use an Ouija Board or anything along those lines? If you or your siblings did then you should talk to your parents about protecting yourself and house.

It's 1:30 am now and I'm tired so I can't think straight, so that's all I could think of right now. If I think of anything else, I will let you know. But in the mean time, I suggest that talk to your family about what is happening and let us know so we can give some more suggestions.

P.S. Just thought of this now... One thing you can try is to sleep at a friend's or extend family member's house to see if the shadow is attached to you or the house. I don't know if it will work but you can try.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-12)
MissyM - I can't hold back my words because I am afraid of how she may take it, because if I had to consider that every time I comment on a story, there would be no sense... I know it may sound inconsiderate but at the same time I'm just expressing my thoughts. We come here TO let our imagination run wild... 14 years olds can definitely post here, but if they do, and choose to participate in discussion then prepare for anything. I was not being rude to her nor have the intention to frighten her, I was simply sharing my beliefs... So however she chooses to take it is out of my hands. - Notjustme 😊
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-09-12)
Shlain - Thanks for the complement 😁
I haven't been here for awhile and needed something to read. Lol
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-12)
notjustme - I wasn't shutting down your idea at all. I thought it to be very interesting.
But just because this "site" is for mature users obviously doesn't mean that 14 year olds can't post on it. I was just taking into consideration the writers age and how your comment would have made my imagination run wild at that age.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Never heard that saying but it is so true! I will remeber that one my friend:) ❤
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
chrisb- agreed! On most part we are on the same page. " if everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody is thinking at all"- that's the beauty of life. Glad to see so many ideas flowing through us all here today lol
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
did you ever think it could be like a past memories that is apart of these shadows. Like you could be a attracting them, and because of that you could be getting their memories on how they died. I hoped that made some sort of sense to you. Let me know if you need more of an exploitation.
GIRLIE ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Notjustme I have to agree with you hear. I heard about this meditation thing and there is some truth in there. I have a little different belief and I'm not trying to argue my friend 😆.I believe that its a little easier for spirits to comunicate with people when we are asleep. Our mind works in a different level. A good example would be telethapy. You know what I mean 😁.The spirits can not only talk but show us things. A scene that will happen where they are. Why do spirits show tchem selves usually at late hours?/I think it has to do a little bit about the enviroment (Being more peasful and less distraction for manifesting) and the sate of the mind of a person. Not that we are halusinating things but our minds are at a different state. A little tired but trying to work hard even during the night. I'm no doctor and would be surprised if I'm wrong:)
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
MissyM,

I've read your stories and they're brilliant. You're very open minded to the posibility of ghosts. So what's going on with you now here on this page?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
MissyM - this site was made for mature viewers and if MODS accepted the story, therefore they have accepted open ideas in discussion. I'm sure she's already scared, but being scared doesn't mean we shut out ideas or run from the possibility.

Writer wanted suggestions and discussions and that's what I have done. Like I said in my comment, it is up to Shelby_99 to take in whatever suggestions/advice she wants... As none of us here REALLY know anything 100%. However we do speak from personal experiences that has led us to believe what we do.

-notjustme
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Also, did you do anything prior to this shadow? Like play quija board or anything you can think of that may have attracted it to you? And thank you for the story
-notjustme
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
notjustme - That is very interesting belief and super cool way of thinking but if I was 14 and scared you may of scared me more... Lol
Shelby_99 - Please don't think that shadows are chasing you from other realms or worlds... 😕
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Shelby_99 - I agree with lady-glow and spiritwaiting about asking someone in the family if they've seen it also? If you don't want to talk to them about it yet, then I suggest a few things you could try.
First, I want to share my own personal belief, of dreams and some stuff. You don't have to believe it or agree, it's just my own belief.

When we dream we are traveling with our soul to different realms or dimension or whatever it's really called... With enough meditation practice, one can travel with their soul while awake. This is why monks sit there and meditate for many hours daily... To connect spiritually. Saying so, while you dream you are vulnerable and this shadow can mess with you in your dreams because you are now in "his" world. He can kind of 'set up' this scene for you to simply just give you more negativity energy. So next time you see this thing you could pray to God, and try to be brave as you can and demand it to leave in the name of the Holy Name and while saying this think of a bright light and all the goodness coming through you and push it at this thing. Know that you are protected always by God and he has no right to be there.

There's also Rookdygin's method too.

Hopefully this helped and made some sense... Again it is just my belief. God bless you and good luck!
-Notjustme
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Shlian - "I don't understand why people say or imply that watching/reading horror movies/books automatically means any paranormal activity you experience after that is just imagination or paranoia."

I know myself that after watching your reading something that scares me my imagination runs wild and I'm 31. I know I'm not the only one. At 12-14 I loved watching every horror movie I could get my hands on and because of this couldn't look in my mirror at night or even put my hand over my bed in fear that something would be there. That being said the mind plays tricks on you and being 14 in a new house having to make new friends could be scary and ultimately may make someone at this ages mind see things or dream things.
LeavesFall (1 stories) (8 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
People can definitely imagine that they die in their dreams, don't let that alone freak you out. I remember one where I dreamt I was chased down and killed by Kiriyama from Battle Royale. Oddly enough it didn't scare me, I woke up very interested in the dream.

Another time I dreamed zombies had invaded my neighborhood and had chased and blocked me into my bedroom. I dreamt I grabbed the wooden sword on my shelf and raised it high to hit the zombies. I woke up sitting upright in bed, mid-swing, my hands grasping and imaginary sword. Dreams can be pretty powerful.

One thing I would say is, if you are watching any scary shows or books, buffer it with something good before you go to bed. Even though I'm an adult, I love watching paranormal stuff but I will end up either waking up in a cold sweat terrified or unable to sleep unless I read or watch something positive before going to bed. So for example, if I watch "real ghost stories" on tv, then before I go to bed I'll spend like half an hour watching a kid's cartoon or reading something like a Chicken Soup for the Soul book. I find that really helps prevent nightmares.

I agree with Lady Glow, try talking to your parents. It can help you figure out if there is anything really there or if you are imagining it because it's a new house or whatever.

Good luck!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Hi Shelby_99, I feel that the dreams could be because you were so disturbed and scared about the shadow or the black figure you have been seeing since last couple of weeks. If your mind is clear, then these dreams would not come. I go with lady-glow regarding this black figure/shadow. You should talk to your parents and brother. You should make them know that you are seeing this black figure/shadow quite often during the last few days. Perhaps they might have also seen those figure. But what is your gut feeling? Do you feel that this black figure or shadow is evil, I mean I am asking about this figure when you saw it first. The gut feeling is generally correct.

If you find that it is evil, then you can cleanse the house/room you live in, of course, with your parents. Please discuss with your parents and post us the gist of your discussions. If necessary, we shall definitely advise you the method of cleansing.

But don't get scared. If the entity is negative, then it would draw your energy to embolden itself. Be bold.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Shlain... That's because it's " the thin end of the wedge" as my school religion teachers called it. Meaning that you are opening up your subconscious mind to dark forces. Lol. Along with reading Harry potter of course. And playing dungeons and dragons. As ned Flanders said " the dark arts... Including numerology, astrology and oriental cooking " hahaha... (Nectar is giving herself the giggles)
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
I don't understand why people say or imply that watching/reading horror movies/books automatically means any paranormal activity you experience after that is just imagination or paranoia.

This could very well be a shadow person and when it noticed you took note of it, it decided to attach itself to you. Ask other family members if they've experienced anything especially your brother.

The dream happened twice already. Let's say 3rd time's the charm. If it happens again I believe it might be linked to the shadow and it might be giving you the nightmares. Some mediums call this psychic attacks.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Around the teen years, hormomes etc, kick in. It could be your tired and haven't slept well, so your mind is playing tricks. I do that ocasionally as well, and its usually when all lights are off and I see something standing there. But it nothing. And I agree with Lady_glow and the question. Do you watch any type of horror movies, during the day or early evening? You mentioned nothing happened before then, so it just may be your paranoid, and scared because you saw the shadow. Talk to your parents about it, they could help you. Good luck
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
Do you like to watch any scary shows or read horror books during the day, specially before going to bed?
Have you asked your family if any one else has seen the shadow or experienced something hard to explain?
Do you know if any person close to your family passed away around the time you began seen this shadow?

It is possible that the lack of sleep is making you see things that are not necessarily there.
Talk to your parents, I'm sure they will be glad to help.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-10)
I think you are probably seeing the shadow. I think the dreams could be put down to paranoia. Your aware of the shadow and are scared, so your mind could be creating the dreams. But then you are having the dreams, ultimately you have to decide that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: