You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Voice In The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Voice In The Basement

 

This happened to me when I was in high school, about 15 or 16. I was at my friend's place on Number One Pond. She lived in an apartment that had caged compartments in the basement for the tenants to use as storage. It was late at night and I had never been to her house before.

We were in the basement talking and hanging out as her parents were asleep. We were laughing and joking around when I heard what sounded like a male voice whispering loudly. I looked around the basement and realized that we were alone. She didn't seem to notice, so I figured I'd forget about it. About a second later, though, she stopped talking and said, "Did you hear that?"

I was frightened because her question confirmed what I thought I'd heard. I told her that I had heard it as well. We both freaked out and ran up the stairs outside. I decided to go home since we couldn't hang out in her actual apartment, and no way were we going back in the basement.

I can't really describe what I actually heard. I know it was a male voice, and it was a loud whisper that filled the entire room. I couldn't make out what - if anything - it was saying. I wasn't paying attention because I hadn't expected it. To me, though, it didn't sound like he was saying anything. It just sounded like "aaaaahhhh rrraaaaaahhhh." My friend's name is Ashley, but she does have a sister named "Sarah." And "Sarah" is also a very common name, so maybe that's what he was trying to say.

To my knowledge, there were no other experiences in the basement. Ashley and I talked about the incident a couple of times since, but we've lost contact. She never told me about anything else happening in the apartment before or after that night.

Other hauntings by thelioness08

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thelioness08, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MaddieRocks (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
This story is just like my basement, my bro told me bout it...
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
Who knows 😁 Like other members here its hard to suggest what it was. Maybe it was a voice. Maybe it was the vent or a homless person looking for a pplace to sleep. I don't know. I do kniow it was a scary thinbg to happened to both of you. If you guys investigated the imcdent you would answer you question. NAd you decided not to. And ZI tell you what you did the RIGHT thing. You know some people can be dnagerous so running was the right thing. Thanks for sharring and hope to hear from you soon and take care
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-13)
Lady-glow - your story is WAY better than mine. I think they may possibly have give you too many pain killers;)

It's funny how sounds can be interpreted in your mind when you can't actually SEE what is making the sound. I agree it can sometimes be paranormal, but also, especially if it's dark, the mind plays tricks on us.

Just my humble opinion 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-13)
Aw, Raftingirl - That's hilarious!

When I was at the hospital after giving birth to my daughter I had a nightmare about Queen Elizabeth chasing me while growling; when I opened my eyes she was standing at the side of my bed wearing this hat full of flowers and still growling. I was terrified thinking that she had got me! 😨
To my relief I realized that the queen and her funny hat were the flowers my husband brought that morning and the growling was the snoring of one of the other mothers in the room!

So many things become scary during the night.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-13)
I loved your story. I myself spent time in a concrete basement with a friend pretty much overnight because we'd told our parents that we were sleeping over at the others house. It did get to be creepy listening to the different sounds - that's for sure. I summed it up to the drafts from the vents at first. It was a loud deep rhythmic sound, and it sounded close.

We finally went looking around. She in the basement, and I went outside just to check if someone was running a dryer at that ridiculous hour.

Turns out, it might have been the guy upstairs snoring like a bear. If we left the door open, yes it coincided with the sounds we were hearing in the basement. That MIGHT have been it - but we never had a chance to explore it more since we were both grounded for life after our parents found out they'd been duped;)

Thanks for sharing your story - it's a shame you didn't get to find out more. ❤
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-13)
Hi thelioness08, with only one experience and with no other input or investigation or information, it is quite difficult to comment on this experience. It might be some irritant neighbour was calling someone, which you might have heard. If you had any investigation done like asking the neighbours of your friend or his family members or about the place itself, then it would have been easy to classify things as paranormal or otherwise.

If you have any further input, please post it so that we could give some suggestions.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-09-12)
Perhaps it was only another sleepless tenant in one of the storage compartments, or the sound of somebody singing close to a vent.

There is not enough information in your story to discard a natural explanation for the voice you heard, specially if no one else experienced anything similar.
Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: