You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Of Cobwebs And Darkness

Real Ghost Stories

Of Cobwebs And Darkness

 

For those of you who haven't read my story "The Ancient Fort" yet I would advise you to do so as this is an update of that story. The experience I had there happened approximately 3 months ago.

For those of you who did read the story you might recall me saying that I didn't want to risk taking pictures, because I was afraid I would be caught. Well, today (28-08-2013) I was there again and my curiosity got the better of me and I thought "Screw it!" and that I would try and snap a couple of pictures to show you guys. However, this time, I was alone. No escort to guide me.

When I completed the work I had to do there, I proceeded to walk in the opposite direction of the exit and went around a corner into the hallway where the guy that helped the last time took me. I followed the hallway to the end where there is situated a door that I was meant to go through... It was locked! To the right of this door there is another door and this one was unlocked. I went through it and found myself in a dark hallway - no lights on or nothing - with a set of stairs going down. I didn't even bother walking all the way to the end of the dark hallway, because I immediately felt something was off about the place. So I went to the stairs so that I could go up towards the floors that had the derelict rooms, etc. When I got to the stairs and wanted to go up, I couldn't. The stairs only went down into what looked like more darkness.

Now I know I'm not brilliant with directions and I know I took a few twists and turns, but according to my knowledge I should still be on the 3rd floor meaning that I should be able to go up to the 4th and 5th floors. There simply was no "up" from there.

I decided to go down one set of stairs to the floor below, because perhaps there is another door that leads to a different set of stairs that goes up to the higher floors. When I got to the floor below the doors were all locked and the only way was further down into the darkness. I proceeded to go down one more flight of stairs and just came to a screeching halt. There was something down there and it knew I was lost. This is the feeling I was hit with. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. I also started believing that these stairs would lead me into the basement - a place I avoid at all costs no matter where I am. I couldn't hear other people talking. No phones ringing or anything indicating that people were nearby. I was lost and I wasn't alone.

I was so frightened that I forgot about the pictures and just wanted to get out of there. I went back up the stairs as quickly as possible and as I was rushing I had the feeling of cobwebs against my face and I felt this twice before reaching the floor where I started at. If there were really cobwebs there I should have made contact with them on my way down, but it only happened as I went back up. This feeling is something I've started associating with "THEM" walking through or touching you.

Also, as I was going back up I noticed, or rather felt, undisturbed dust on the railings. It was too dark to see the dust, but I definitely felt it under my fingertips. This indicated to me that the area is obviously not in use. Luckily for me I bumped into one of the Finance Managers who was busy storing some stuff in one of the old rooms and he led me out, jokingly saying I should be used to the layout of this place by now. I just decided to go along with the "I couldn't find the bathroom" cliché to cover my own butt for wandering around.

I don't know why whoever designed this placed had it done in such a confusing way, but I suspect it might have been done so with the purpose of confusing. Confusing intruders, maybe? I don't know. What I do know is that whatever was waiting for me at the bottom knew I was lost and vulnerable. It was just waiting like a spider waits for its prey to become ensnared in its web.

I don't think that I'll wander off on my own in that place again.

Other hauntings by Shlain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shlain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hexotericka (6 stories) (45 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-01)
Hi Shlain.

I have just read all your other stories. I always love to read the ghostly accounts of fellow South Africans, and yours are definitely some of my favourites.

I have had many strange and sometimes frightening experiences since I was a child, but some of your stories sent quite the shudder through me.
(Actually sitting here right now suffering a slight case of ghostly paranoia) 😆

Wonderfully written and oh so descriptive.

I am looking forward to reading more!

Regards,
Keith
triden07 (70 stories) (279 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Oh my soul Shlain!
This really gave me the willies! I'm glad you had the good sense to bolt, and that you got out without more contact with whatever was there.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
Valkricry, It felt like something was crouching and waiting at the bottom for me. Its very rare that I have an image in my head of an entity, but this thing looked goblin like and was just crouching with its hands on its knees. Well, as my story relates I booked it out of there and I wasn't willing wait and see what was lurking there.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
Spiritwaiting: Ugh, I know! Usually I experience chills and they hit me no matter how hot the day is outside. Cobwebs however is a feeling I get rarely. A part of me is kind of peeved that they would dare touch me, but then I need to remind myself that I was in their territory and I was there for paranormal reasons.

As for the dark, funny enough I was ok with it (?!). Naturally I saw large looming shapes in corners and down the dark passages, but I was able to identify them for what they were. BUT I'm pretty sure if I saw a humanoid shadow I would have screamed lol. Thank goodness that didn't happen!
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
Zzsgranny, Seraphina, Narella,

Firstly thanks for reading and commenting.

Zzsgranny: It is most definitely a feeling that doesn't leave the mind easily. Even now as I'm sitting here I still remember what parts of my face it touched; the right side and specifically my cheekbone and nose areas.

Seraphina: oh trust me! I won't go exploring again. On my own that is 😉 I'm far too curious for my own good, but there is a little voice in my head going 'Don't explore there'

Narella: The silence was terrible. My logical mind said I should have been hearing the faint sound of activity eg. Phones ringing, distant footsteps and voices, etc, but I heard nothing but my own breathing.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-16)
Shlain, this is VERY scary! You are totally right, if it was 'normal' cobwebs you were feeling you would have felt at least some on your way down, not only on your way up. And then that feeling of not being alone when you know you are? 😨 Totally creepy! No, best not to wander off any more.
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-16)
Shlain: You described the experience so well. I really felt like I was there with you! The silence must have been awful. I think the spirits were letting you know you weren't welcome.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-16)
Shlain: I've experienced that "cob-webbie-thingie" a few times. It is an odd sensation, no kidding. The last time I experienced it was during a recent ghost hunt and it was the strongest, most distinct feeling to date.

Be careful from now on! 😆
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
shlain, I was in the building with you just reading this. Yes cobwebs, chills, goosebumps are associated with spirits touching you. I would have been terrified being in the dark like that,alone. Your definitly brave for doing so. I commend you for trying to get the pictures. And then hearing the talking, knowing no other person is around! Oh wow! Great update!
😊
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-14)
A frightening story, Shlain! I can practically feel those cobwebs from your description. You were brave to explore by yourself--but I'm glad you don't plan to go solo there again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: