You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: I'm Glad We've Moved

Real Ghost Stories

I'm Glad We've Moved

 

So, it's my first time posting on this site. I have been a fan of it for many years, hoping to find some closure on things that happened in my old home and now I've built up the confidence to share and not be judged (too harshly anyway). We finally moved out of it after struggling to sell it for two years. Enough of the random information and I will get on with the things that happened there. And I apologize beforehand for this being too long (just in case)

When I was in the 4th grade, I moved from one town to another in a new housing development. I was so excited to finally move out of my old house into a brand new one. The thrill of getting to choose a new room is really exciting for a young kid like that. So I remember choosing a room that was WAY bigger than my previous room. And shortly after we were almost settled in my mom said I could have a friend over to spend the night. I was so excited to invite my best friend at the time, let's call her Mariah, for a sleepover. But it didn't seem the same. She was never one to be scared ever, and was the most brave out of the two of us. She would always be the one to calm me down, or walk with me to the bathroom at night because I was the one who was scared.

With that being said and out of the way I remember we both were sleeping on separate beds. My bed was a twin and too small for us so she slept on an air mattress I think. She woke me up in the middle of the night crying and shaking and said she needed to go home and she wanted to go home now. I remember feeling sad and rejected wondering why she didn't want to spend the night. So my mom called her mom and her mom came to get her. We kept trying for sleepovers at my house but each time she would try and stay she would cry and freak out to the point of not being able to calm down until her mom came and got her. Finally we just gave up on sleepovers and I would spend the night at her house and everything was fine. My mom told me it was probably because the house was a new place. But thinking back on it a new place wouldn't have bothered her.

Shortly after all these sleepover mishaps she stopped calling me and stopped wanting to play after school, ect. Naturally I thought it was because I moved and I started a new school in my new town. And my mom told me that's what sometimes happens. But after my own experiences years later I kind of understand why she never felt comfortable staying at my house. None of my friends have been that comfortable in that house, staying the night was always weird for them.

When we first moved there we were getting wood floors put in because the carpet it came with didn't live up to my mom's expectations. We had a cat named Miss Kitty. She was an outdoor cat and was just happy being outside but able to see and watch every one. A week after we moved, she mysteriously died on the front porch. She wasn't sick, and wasn't old. It made me really upset. Maybe the trauma of the move bothered her. But it still was odd that it happened.

One of my first experiences didn't really happen until the 7th or 8th grade. I remember I was in our loft watching TV when my mom was downstairs on the phone and my dad was still a cop so he worked late nights. When I kept seeing something out of the corner of my eye, now mind you we had dogs but they we're outside dogs, or in the garage, so it couldn't have been them shuffling around. Finally after a while it kept bothering me that it seemed like someone kept walking in and out of my door, almost kind of like peeking out and going back in quickly. Finally I looked really quickly and saw a woman, a thin woman and I remember it to this day she was wearing a yellow dress. My mom doesn't wear dresses and she wasn't as thin as this woman. I couldn't say anything but stare. But she turned her back to me and walked what looked like one of the guest rooms or my rooms. I called out to my mom finally and she asked me what I needed and I told her nothing, and that I was just wondering where she was.

In this house we also had a casita (I'm not sure the spelling on this) but it was a separate room with a bathroom and closet detached from our house and my mom had that built into a custom office with a built in computer desk with lots of storage. That's where the family computer was and where I spent a lot of my days after school and during the summer playing The Sims, talking on AIM, or playing Neopets. It was rare I was never over there at night or all day on the weekend. My mom and dad always went out to breakfast on Saturdays and I never wanted to go because it was my alone time without them. An independent kind of feeling I got I guess. I would also get extra excited if they decided to go shopping afterward too which meant more time on the computer for me before my mom kicked me off for her business work or my dad's business work too.

I remember settling in the room with my usual iced tea and bowl of cereal for breakfast. I think a long time had passed because it seemed like a long time for me to be in there. But after awhile I started smelling something really good. A cologne a man would wear, an expensive one. I remember thinking to myself how good it smelled and I wondered what the name of it was. But then it occurred to me that I was alone. I froze and thought someone had opened the door and had somehow either gotten in there before I had or when I took my things back over to the house for a refill of tea. So I spun around quickly to see who was standing behind me and there was no one. I got up and looked in the bathroom (which was very small) and in the closet which was too small to hide anyone in anyway because it was filled with custom cubby holes and things like that. So I played it off, thinking I was just being crazy and went back to my game.

The smell was gone for awhile after that until I smelled it again but it felt closer like someone was right up against the chair. I spun around again to no one and that was it for me. I bolted out the door and into the main house. I told my mom about it when she got home and my dad always made fun of me said my imagination was too good. But my mom told me she has smelled it before too. My dad kind of looked at us like we were crazy and walked away. My mom believed me and that's all I cared about.

Little things would happen to us for years after, like both of us hearing the same person talking/yelling then responding to it with "What?!" because we couldn't hear the person thinking it was one another. That happened a lot, but you could never hear what they said.

When people in our family died I would either wake up constantly throughout the night and see figures walking up and down the stairs, which is the reason why, still to this day, I sleep with my door closed. Or also walking through our dining room out the front door.

One of the scariest things that ever happened to me though was in the middle of the night. Everyone dreads having to get up out of their comfy beds to pee in the middle of the night. I usually never do, but I had to go so bad I decided to go anyway. I felt weird walking around the corner to my bathroom and after I had peed I flushed the toilet and washed my hands and as I was doing that it felt like someone brushed past me. So I hurried up and started to walk out the bathroom door but when I did that I felt something right up on my neck and the hair stood up as I felt breath on me and I heard it too. It was a long sigh. I bolted to my room and turned on the light and watched TV the rest of the night.

My mom told me what had happened to her in the guest room at night. I should clarify why she slept in the guest room sometimes. My dad is a horrible snorer, and you can hear it all through the house it's so loud. My mom wasn't able to sleep anymore so moving to the guest room was her best option to drown it out a little bit. So anyway, she always said she felt uncomfortable in there even during the day and just felt like she should never be in there. But the other guest rooms we're either reading rooms or just storage. So sleeping in the guest bed was the only logical place for her to be obviously. There wasn't a TV in the room and she needs one to sleep so she decided to read instead. She finally got tired and said she turned off the light. My mom heard a quiet laugh and she thought it was me laughing to TV or on the phone with a friend in my room. So she didn't think of it until a flashlight that was on the dresser in front of the bed got tossed onto her bed and she heard the laugh again with a gasp at the end. She said that was the last time she ever slept in there. I don't blame her at all.

We finally moved out a year ago when my parents split and finally sold the house. But all the little things along with the big things that happened were enough for us to not want to be there anymore. Feel free to comment on this story. I know it was long and I'm sorry again for the length. There was just so much that happened to me there it's hard to forget. But thank you for letting me share this with you.

Other hauntings by fancyfeast

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fancyfeast, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

fancyfeast (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-04)
THANK YOU EVERYBODY! I didn't realized it got published otherwise I would have responded much earlier. Thank you all for your kind words and your inputs. It was much appreciated. Xo
fancyfeast (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-04)
[at] spiritwaiting- I hope that they took a liking to us. I remember my mom had a friend come and pray in each room or something and it stopped for awhile but continued after a short hiatus.

[at] wishfulnull Thank you! I was worried that I drug on and on but that happens sometimes. I did almost crap myself when that happened. Other things went on but I didn't want to drag the story out longer than it was. I never go to know anything about the land or anything. Might prove interesting if I looked it up:)

[at] ChrisB Thank you so much! It was my pleasure to finally share.

[at] Narella I am not sure what it's motive was but it went on for years and years without causing harm. But my mom's friend always said my Horror movies and metal music caused the spirits to come around, not how much I believe that.

[at] charlac I agree, hopefully the new people in our house get the same activity! Mainly because (creepily enough) my ex boyfriend and his dad bought our old house. Ha ha!
CharlaC (6 stories) (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
Thank you for sharing your story. It was interesting. I believe there are all kinds of spirits. This one doesn't sound evil or good. Just a neutral spirit that was okay with your family living in his home, but also he enjoys messing around. I've been in houses with a mix of many kinds of spirits: playful, evil, kind, etc. So yeah, it just seems like the spirit was a nuetral.
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
Fancyfeast: Something in that house enjoyed frightening you and your mom. A spirit making people anxious in their own home sounds negative. I'm glad you don't have to live there anymore.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-17)
Thank you for sharring this story with us. I have to say it was a great read and you should have sharred it earlier 😁,I think this spirit was a pranskter. He Didnt want to hurt anybody but wanted to let you know he was around. Sane with the lady spirit but probably more curious. Loved the read thanks for sharring. Hope to hear from you soon and take care
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-16)
Fancyfeast, haha, no worries - as long as your story is a real experience, we won't bite! 😊 This was very well written, and I really enjoyed reading it. When you were washing your hands & felt the breath and the sigh...wow, that was scary, and I felt like I was right there with you. Do you know anything about the history of the property or (since you said it was fairly new) the land? Your friend could have been having nightmares which freaked her out, although happening a bunch of times and only in your house - that is odd. I agree that if you had moved to a different school, it is natural for friends to grow apart. I don't know about the increase in activity when people in your family died, unless perhaps the spirits could sense the sad/different energy and emotions, and became more active? Just a theory... Thank you for sharing your experiences, and best wishes to you! 😁
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-16)
[at] fancy feast, it really sounds like, the resident ghost enjoys scaring you a bit. If that's all that happened with nothing to scary they probably came to terms with sharing their home with you all. Awesome story

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: