You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Student Flat With Unwanted Roommate

Real Ghost Stories

Student Flat With Unwanted Roommate

 

This is my first ever personal paranormal experience. I have had friends who have went through some scary stuff as a child and played with Ouija Boards. I've always been interested in the paranormal but would never tamper with forces I do not understand.

Me and my best friend Ruth have been living together for just over a month now. We have rented a two bedroom apartment that came completely unfurnished. We were cautious at first as we had heard stories prior to moving in that there were mass robberies occurring in this particular block. However, with a new security door and new sealed windows we soon felt comfortable and safe. That was, until the noises started.

The first experience happened when I was doing the dishes. As I was just about finishing up, I could hear hysterical crying coming from down the hall. Worried, thinking it was Ruth, I quickly put down the plate I was washing and went down the hall to Ruth's room. When I opened the door, Ruth was happily sitting with her laptop watching an episode of "Friends." Although I could see clearly that she was not crying I still asked anyway, to which she replied no. When I asked her if anyone was crying on her program she can said no. With this, I soon left and went back to the dishes. Please note that no one else has yet moved into the apartment building, we have no neighbors upstairs, downstairs or beside us.

Ruth left me home alone one night to stay over at her boyfriend's. I was in my room playing the electric piano when suddenly it turned off. I checked my phone, which had died even though I was sure that it had plenty of charge. At that moment my bedroom door slowly started to shut, then completely closed. Normally that sort of thing wouldn't freak me out as I would pass it off as just being the wind. However, because of my shoe hanger, the door can't shut unless you forcefully make it shut. Yet somehow it has managed to do this on its own?

Another night I went around all the rooms switching everything off before bed. When I went into the hall to turn the light on so I could make my way to the bathroom, something grabbed my attention. Standing outside my bedroom door only six or seven inches away from me, I could see this dark figure. It wasn't shadowy but more like a mass of something? The thing that stood out the most to me was the feeling that was in the air, it was electrical in a way and thick. Because this freaked me out, I quickly turned the light on and I couldn't see it anymore; however, I could still feel "its" presence, this electrical feeling in the air around it. I paused there for a moment, and just as quickly as it was there, the feeling suddenly went. There was no thickness in the air or figure and I was no longer scared.

Also, another time when I went out to get milk from a 24 hr store at night. Ruth thought I was playing a prank on her and had not left the flat. When I came back, Ruth was shaking and upset because "someone or something" kept banging on her bedroom door, then stopping and then starting. She said this happened repetitively until I returned back home.

One of my friends from the college has a mother who is a medium. My friend can also see spirits but has not yet been able to control his ability. He came over for the first time and without us having to say anything, he turned around and told me that there is someone outside my bedroom door (in the hallway). He also stated that he feels the presence of more than one; however, there is one with a very strong energy.

Why are all these things happening? What do you think they are, and should I be worried? Please leave your thoughts and any advice. Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SarahEliz, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Redwolf - you are so welcome. Some of these trolls 😉, it would be so cool if they would just turn into stone like on The Hobbit 😆
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Ignore people on here with silly comments, obviously they have nothing better to do, when someone is asking for help... Let us know how you get on, where abouts in U.K. Are u? 😁
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
SarahEliz
My apologies for getting off subject because of someone else sidetrackking me.
Have you seen the dark figure again, has Ruth heard any more banging on her bedroom wall? Have you found out anything about the history of the building or neighborhood?
I know I'm full of questions but I truly want an update. If you are not feeling safe in your own home maybe it is time to look for a new place to live. You will need to find out what the laws are about breaking a lease. My feeling is that if the landlord can't get any other tenants that s/he won't have a problem letting you out of your lease as long as they can keep the security deposit. After all this building can be converted into a hotel. Tourists especially us Americans love ''haunted'' hotels.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
[at] zzgranny, your a good friend to stand up for Redwolf like that. I believe this site is to help others come to terms with what they've experienced and understand what is going on. Not for petty uncalled for comments. You both always have great advice, and I commend you both for taking the high road on that. 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Miracles51031
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I too wish the mods had a delete button to make trolls go ''poof'' as they make your jobs harder. As zzsgranny told masha I probably wouldn't have replied to him/her because I don't feed trolls. Thanks again
Regards
RedWolf
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
SarahEliz: I don't blame Ruth for being terrified! I noticed you mentioned the apartment was unfurnished before you moved in. I was wondering where you got the furniture for your apartment. The reason I ask is sometimes entities are attached to furniture and other objects. The spirits may not be attached to the apartment but to something in the apartment.

I agree you should get as much information as possible about the building and the land it is on. The more knowledge you have the easier it will be to find a solution. Good luck!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
notjustme - we don't have the authority to do that. Unfortunately LOL 😉 When we have the abusive trolls, we do bring it to the attention of the administration. There are times I wish I could hit delete on my keyboard and they would go "poof" though 😆
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
miracles51031 - do you guys ever kick people out after an x amount of strikes?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Redwolf - We delete the more offensive ones masha makes. We don't need troublemakers like this, and honestly, I find all of them to be ridiculous. Apparently masha believes s/he has a beef with you and I wish s/he would leave the site altogether. This is no place for personal issues. We've had more than enough of that.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
actually I just found it as it was in the next story I clicked! Haha! But it is no longer important
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Redwolf- I thought I was the only one not seeing that "scared" comment... Phew still not nutty 🤔
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Hi SarahEliz

I agree with SDS. Try to find out as much information about the property as possible. Perhaps you may be able to shed some light on the previous tenants or use of the building.
If you and your flat-mate Ruth are feeling ill at ease in the apartment, I suggest that you find some kind of "Talisman", be it a Bible, crystals etc. And keep it with you. This has to be something that you personally believe will provide you with protection and create a sanctuary for yourselves in your rooms. This will help to put your minds at ease and make you feel more comfortable in your own home.
As to the banging Ruth heard, was it in a set pattern or random bangs? Has the entity you saw ever entered your room or does it just hang around the hallway?

Stay strong
Nephylim
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+4
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
masha
I have no idea what comment you made that I was "too scared" to reply to.
Zzsgranny gave you a warning about baiting others into an argument. She is right I do not feed trolls. So if I do not reply to someone it is not because I'm too scared, I don't believe in hijacking a thread for an argument.
Thank you zzsgranny for responding for me. I don't see the question that masha is referring to on this thread so I don't know why that comment was made. Thanks again.
Regards
RedWolf
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
thank you for sharring this story with us/ I have to say I realy don't know what kind of spirit this may be. Some people say that shadow people are evil spirits. But I don't think that's always the case. I believe that some spirits just cannot manifest itselfs as much as they would like and they look like shadow people. Does anyone agree with me here? Well in this case I'm more worried if this spirit is a nice one. I have the feeling that it isnt. I hope to hear from you soona and take care
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
masha: It is against the Comments Guidelines to bait another into an argument. By the way, and think about this seriously for a change: RedWolf probably doesn't feel your comment warrants a response as she is not one to feed trolls.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
saraheliz, It sounds like the spirit or spirits were just trying to get your attention. Sds has really great advice. Talk to your neighbors from around the other complexs',they may have some interesting stories. Go to your local library and look up news paper stories, it could turn up someone may have passed away in or around your apartment. Good luck!

This comment from masha is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
Welcome to YGS SarahEliz
First to lighten the mood. I have to say the more I say welcome to YGS I am starting to picture myself as a 1950's woman holding a cake at the door.
Now in all seriousness my questions are with all the crime in the area has anyone died who lived in that building and has there been more restoration other than the new security door and sealed windows? I would imagine so. The reason I bring this up is because renovations can make spirits restless, especially in old buildings.
Ask your friend if it is possible if his mother can do a walk through of your flat. A more experienced medium can tell you more and possibly get them to leave.
I agree with sds, try to ask the people in the neighborhood if they know anything about the history of the area and if they have had any experiences,feelings,or sightings in or around the building.
Please let us know what you find out. As sds said you and Ruth be bold.

Regards
RedWolf
baileybailey (7 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
[at] babygoatpuller: not everything is down to paranormal and I'm sure you will know that you have to explore and exhaust all other avenues first which is why I said about 'creaking floorboards and what's not' any paranormal investigator will or anyone into the paranormal will tell you that.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
I have to agree and disagree with baileybailey. If you do call in a paranormal team and they want to charge you anything, you should look for someone else. I'm sure you'll find well qualified people to come in and investigate for you at no charge.
I'm pretty certain it's not "creaking floorboards and what's not" but I do agree that asking it nicely but firmly to move on won't hurt anything and may work.

SDS has some valid questions and good advice which may be very useful if you can find out more info on the history and land surrounding the area. Might not hurt to ask your friend and his mother to come in and see if they can pick anything up.

Keep us posted!
SarahEliz (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
Thank you guys! Your comments are very heart warming ❤ I have listened to your advise and I will fill you in on the new news!
baileybailey (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
your bound to feel frightened, even I would and i've been sensitive for 30 something years, they still jump out at me. I wouldn't bother with mediums. You could ask these spirits to leave nicely as they are frightening you, i've had to do that before and its worked. If you don't want to do anything yourself why not call a paranormal team in, at the very most they would only charge for their petrol. Don't forget also that you have no neighbours and you have only been there a month so you have to get used to the place what with the building now being lived in and the place settles and creaking floorboards and what's not.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
-4
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
I'm not so sure you have to be worried. At lease not until this ghost hurts you or something you own. It could be scaring you, but I would say to connect your friend or his mother and try to figure these ghost out. It could help you figure out if it's dangerous or not.
GIRLIE ❤
Ariana102 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
May I just say you are brave! Please keep us updated! And also where do these happenings take place about? 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
Hi SarahEliz, thanks for sharing and it was a neat narrative. But I want to ask you some questions. It could be that more than one spirit has been there in the flat. But what did your friend, a medium, who said that there is more one spirit is present in the flat. Did your friend say that these spirits are negative or positive. What is your gut feeling about these spirits. I know your friend Ruth is shaken. But what is her feeling. It is the first feeling you got that is important. If it is negative, then it is better that you cleanse the house.

Please answer the questions. We shall advise you further. Please try ask the neighbours about the history of the plot/land or the place and ask if they had experienced any such feelings or sightings in this place. Kindly post it so that we could suggest you the ideas to get rid of these spirits.

Please be bold and advise your friend, Ruth, to be so.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: