You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Thing Across The Road?

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing Across The Road?

 

I've been reading stories on this website for several years now, but today I finally decided to sign up and share one of my stories. I have had a few occurrences in my life that I couldn't explain and I will probably post them later.

This account happened around 1995 when I was 13 or 14. I grew up in Evans City about 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh, where some of you might know is where Night of the Living Dead was filmed back in 1968, which has nothing to do with my story.

So, anyway my family had a fairly long 300ft driveway. Halfway down the driveway is where we kept the garbage cans and every Tuesday morning was when garbage was picked up. My job on Monday night was to gather up the garbage from the kitchen and bathrooms, take it to cans, and take the cans to the road.

So, I was dragging the cans down my driveway at maybe around 10:00 at night, like usual. When I started getting close to the road (20ft-ish) I noticed some kind of animal. (Also, as a side note, my road didn't have any street lights or anything. The only light at this time was from the garage light which was 300ft up my driveway.) So, this animal appeared to be eating something in the ditch on the other side of the road directly across from my driveway. We had a gravel driveway and it was very loud dragging an 80lb garbage can down it. I figured it would run away as I got closer. It looked like it was picking something up and placing it in its mouth. I dropped the cans off at the road and then it looked at me. I was about 12ft away from this thing.

I stared at it and it stared back. I froze and it froze. A hairless black monkey with no face or a skinny long-armed 3 year old in a black body suit is the only way I can describe this creature. It was staring at me, yet it had no eyes. It was eating, yet it had no mouth. This creature was dark black, darker than anything around it. We stared at each other for about 5 seconds until I realized this is no possum, skunk, raccoon, or groundhog. It felt like it wanted me to go to it while also having a run away or you're dead vibe. I felt my chest tighten and my eyes water and I ran back to my house and didn't look back. I ran into my room and finally looked out the window, but it was too dark and far away to make out anything down there. And, I never did garbage again.

So, what do you guys make of this? I've been wondering for 16 years. Thanks...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Icy82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Yinzer (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
I'm from the region, I live 30 minutes south of Pittsburgh. Fun fact Night of living dead was filmed in South Park, which was 5 minutes from where I grew up. I have never heard of such a creature but I do hear of other creepy cryptids in our area.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-25)
Interesting...but very creepy, did it make any kind of noises?
poultrgyst (9 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Look up Cryptid on the internet. That is the collective name for unidentified animals such as sasquatch, yeti, and chupacabra. If you find anything that looks like what you saw, let us know! I'm very curious...
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
Icy82 - This sounds very scary, but I must say I do agree with some of the other members that it could possibly be an unknown animal.
I say this because a cousin of mine once visited from Australia and has never seen our squirrels before here in Canada. We were sitting on the curb chatting and a squirrel ran across the road and she screamed and asked me what the heck it was LOL 😁...it was fun to explain -notjustme
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
i agree with you there that not everything is haunted. 99 pecent of the time they are not. But trying to find out some infiormation on this or checking if anything has ever benn reported similar to this can answe a lot of questions. I hope you agree with me here. Searching for answers is allways a good thing 😁
girlymadness (1 stories) (16 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
This doesn't sound like a paranormal story to me. It sounds more like some unknown animal that you've never seen before. There are all different types of animals we aren't aware of but that doesn't mean it's a ghost.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
I wish I could help you here my freind but I have never heard or seen anything like your description. And I am thankfull that I didnt. I hope there is somebody who couyld help you here. Somebody mentioned checking the folk and other wierd encounters that happened there, I think that would be a good start. I know it may sound stupid but sometimes the craziest things can be seen by other people. Sadly they dought themselves and the stories are never sharreed
LilyOfWartune (19 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
All pitch black? Shadow people?
No...I kind of not sure they can be that realistic...
Maybe it's Gremlin... I don't know, I hope you find the answer soon and tell us here
Because I'm curious of it too
Cheers:D
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-23)
Yuck! That thing sounds so scary. 😭 I hope I never experience anything like that
Sparkie (6 stories) (30 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
Icy82,
After knowing that, sounds even spookier. The best thing I can tell you is to just do the research on said area, folklore, myths, sightings, etc. Maybe something will turn up that will help you identify this creature.
Icy82 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
Alduin-
1.It looked as if it was picking up things and shoveling it into its face with both hands alternating, but I didn't see what it was eating or saw chewing. So, I guess it wasn't eating, but it looked like it.
2.It was just squatting there with its knees bent sitting on the backs of its feet.
3.Pretty sure there was no tail.
Sparkie-
It was dark but I was able to see everything. I remember seeing my shadow as I walked down and this creature was like 5 shades of black darker.
Lady-Glow-
It was approx 2 1/2 feet tall and I don't think it was a dog cause it had a human shaped face.
Hannahjayne-
If it was a wild animal it would need to be a monkey or a human toddler. And, the way it slowly moved its face and looked at me just wasn't very animal-like.
hannahjayne (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
it's also likely to be mange. If not more likely than rabies.
hannahjayne (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
have you considered that it may just be a wild animal with Rabies? Because often when people report seeing unidentified creature, upon further investigation, it turns out its just a wild animal with Rabies.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
Sounds like one of those scary beings from the realm of the hungry ghosts in the Tibetan book of the dead. I had to watch some serious Disney channel after I read that chapter...ha
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
Wow what a creepy thing to see. Foreboding vibe as well... Yeah I'd probably pay somebody to collect my rubbish from the door after that:)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
Icy82; that thing was creepy!
I have few questions:
What size and shape was it?
Do you think it could had been a sick animal, perhaps a dog with scabies that made its hair fall off?
The only source of light was far away and that would have made hard for you to see clearly.
And lastly: why didn't you begin taking the garbage to the road earlier when there's still day light?
😆
Sparkie (6 stories) (30 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
I can see why you would never take the garbage out again. I would never even open my front door had I seen something like that.

On the other hand though, you said there wasn't any lights except from your garage approximately 300ft away. I know that your eyes tend to adjust once you're in an area with very little lighting, so do you know if at that point you were able to see clearly yet? That's if your garage light wasn't bright enough to actually light up the road.

As for the faceless bit, had you been able to see just a little, I'm pretty sure you could have made out the facial features especially if it was still eating AND looking at you. Considering you were focused on it.

Truthfully, I'm at a loss besides thinking it's some animal with mange but it still doesn't account for the rest of what you described. Maybe do a bit of research and see if anybody else has seen it?

Be Careful!,
Sparkie
Alduin (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
That sound's Terrifying But I have a few question's

1.If it had no mouth did the food go through it's face (Vanishing)

2. Was it walking on all four leg's?

3.did it have a tail?

I hope you find out what it was and please right back thank you. -Alduin ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: