You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Blackberry Vinegar And The Bread Knife

Real Ghost Stories

Blackberry Vinegar And The Bread Knife

 

This is something that happened to me last week (12th September) and far from being frightened I had a little smile on my face the whole time.

When I was a little boy, my grandma (we always called her mama) used to make an old wive's remedy for colds and fever called blackberry vinegar. We had this morning and night during the winter and fair do's we never got colds.

After mama passed away I inherited her recipe for blackberry vinegar but it was to be 10 years later that I was to make any.

I won't bore you with how you make the stuff but it involves boiling vinegar for about 15 minutes; if you've ever smelled vinegar boiling you'll know what I mean when I say the smell makes your eyes water!

The vinegar had been boiling for around 5 minutes when the smell of Yardley Tweed suddenly filled the kitchen completely overpowering the vinegar; it was so strong I could taste the stuff. At this same point my lovely black Labrador jumped up from the sofa like he'd been shot, let out a low growl and ran outside, his hackles up and he wouldn't come in for an hour. The smell was there for all of 2 seconds, it may have been a bit longer but not more than that and I wasn't scared in the slightest; I wasn't scared of her when she was alive so I'm definitely not scared of her now. The Tweed smell is something that most of my family has smelled at one time or another over the years and it just plain doesn't bother any of us, apart from my dog.

The second part to this is my bread knife. I lost my bread knife a few weeks ago, turned the kitchen upside down and it just wasn't there. I mean properly had everything out of the drawers, emptied the cupboards, everything.

Well, I decided to ask for some help to find it seeing as my mama had decided to pay a visit. I opened the cutlery drawer and my bread knife was laid on top of the cutlery tray in the perfect position for me to see it. I was so impressed by the placement I took a photo with my camera.

I've felt my mama's presence on several occasions since she passed away as have my family, particularly my dad (her son) and I'm sure he has stories of his own.

By the way, my dog came in off the garden eventually:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, magicmerlot, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

thebelive123 (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
wow where is the picture but that ia sweet of your mama awwwww😁
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
magicmerlot, welcome to YGS. That was nice of your mama to watch over you and definitely sure, as Miracles said, that she made you feel her presence when you were making the blackberry vinegar.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-09)
magicmerlot - okay, I loved your story and the only thing I can think is maybe your mama was just checking to make sure you were making the Blackberry Vinegar right 😉

As for the bread knife, I'm glad you got it back. I currently have a fitted sheet missing. It's been missing for over a week now LOL. One day we'll open a door, a drawer, something and it'll be there LOL.

Thanks for sharing your story with us 😊
Bliss006 (6 stories) (49 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-09)
That is such a sweet story, and knowing our loved ones are still watching over us beyond the grave, is a very comforting thought.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-07)
What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it with us. And, if it's not a family secret, I'd love to hear the blackberry vinegar recipe. During the depression my grandfather made homemade cough drops with onions, lemon juice, and honey.

My own mother has been sensed visiting my niece since her death. Once, Jenny told her two youngest girls that they should pick some flowers. She turned around and the glass vase, which had been on top of a high cupboard, was sitting in the middle of the floor. Mom was a very short woman in life, so it must have amused her to be able to reach something down. 😁
B4Freya (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-05)
It must feel wonderful to know you're being watched over by her! 😊 I've sensed my mother several times. The first involved an app on my phone. I installed that app specifically for her so we could play when I visited. I never opened it without her. One day, about 3 or 4 weeks after she passed, that app opened by itself when I was about 3 feet away from the phone. I instantly figured it was her. There've been a few other incidents, too. Every one makes me feel good.
savsavvy1023 (1 stories) (42 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-05)
That is so sweet! My friend's grandma just shuts the cupboards she leaves open 😐 She sounds like she was a great lady!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: