You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Father's House

Real Ghost Stories

My Father's House

 

When ever I told my father that something strange would happen, he would shake it off, make an excuse. Up until recently my father has convinced me that he doesn't believe in anything paranormal. I've experienced several things over the years but nothing that scared me. I often hear footsteps and knocks and such. Occasionally I have seen figures but I never can see them properly, only if I glance somewhere.

May I just say now that I have a bad case of anxiety and insomnia (I have gone 6 days with no sleep. I tend to go days with no sleep then a couple of hours one night, then it starts all over again) and other mental issues. I may also have schizophrenia which I am still finding out. As I'm sure at least some of you know, sleep deprivation can cause hallucinations. Some symptoms of schizophrenia are hallucinations so I can imagine some of you will think this is all in my head. Maybe it is but maybe it isn't. But I am certain there is SOME paranormal activity in my father's house.

Recently my dad confessed that he knew there was something in the house. He reassured me it was nothing bad. He explained to me that the people who lived here before were an old couple. The man died of a heart attack when in the garden and the woman died in her sleep. Dad told me that when I was little I would talk to a so called 'shadow man' and would follow him round the house. Apparently when I was 4 the shadow man led me to the top of the stairs in the middle of the night where I fell down them. I don't remember any of this. Since then nothing really serious like that has happened.

Not long ago I was in the bath and I heard slow footsteps coming up the stairs. It was 5 in the morning (I hadn't slept so I got up to wash and make myself look nice for a change) and dad wasn't back from work yet. I was on my own. I tried to ignore the footsteps but it was really eerie. They were very slow and each time I heard one I got more tense. When they reached the top of the stairs I leaped out of the bath, wrapped a towel round me and hid round the corner by the toilet. The footsteps continued out onto the landing and I heard two small knocks on the bathroom door. I yelled "Go away!" and I heard the footsteps go slowly back down the stairs. Once at the bottom, I ran into my room and locked myself in. I stayed in there with the TV up loud and the light on until it was light and I was convinced it would be okay.

I've also been downstairs and walked into the kitchen to see a cupboard open, I've closed it and gone back out. Then the next time I went in a different cupboard would be open. Once again, I say it's nothing that really scares me, just little things I notice.

My dad is a lorry driver and works throughout the night so I am left on my own in the house all afternoon and night. It's when it's getting into the evening that things start to happen more often. I decided to write this today because I was sat in my room trying to calm down from a near anxiety attack when I saw an old man standing at the top of the stairs in the hall. My door was only open ajar so once I looked back, the man was gone.

I opened the door and went to stand where the man just was. It was very cold and I got goosebumps on my arms. I looked back in my room and once again I got a glimpse of the man at the foot of my bed. I ran downstairs and told my dad. He shook it off and said, "Just because we have some company doesn't mean you have to make up that. You see them all the time." I left it at that and got on the laptop.

So here I am now. I thought I'd share this as I found it interesting and would like to see what you think. Hope you enjoyed reading this. I apologise if it is poorly written, I'm not a professional author after all.

Other hauntings by thedeathofme

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thedeathofme, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
Honey, I can relate to your story. When it comes to having "mental" issues, I have always felt the same as you. My anxiety is awful. I have trouble sleeping and sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've tried medications that have not helped me. I know now why they haven't helped me. I can see spirits and sense them. I stay on edge 24/7 because I never know when the next paranormal experience is going to happen and I feel you might be the same way. I have seen a man in my Dad's house just as you have. Honestly I have to sleep with a light on just because it frightened me that much. I've gotten better about it because I have told myself that this spirit was once a person. A living, breathing person that probably once had a family and a good, loving heart. I think you should talk to this spirit and let him know that you're aware of his presence and that you think he's a good person but your uncomfortable with him being around. Let him know how his presence affects you mentally. I'm fairly certain he'll back off a little bit. Just a suggestion that seems to be working for me. Good luck dear.
thedeathofme (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-13)
Thank you for all your comments, they have been helpful and I think it is a good idea to contact the old man. I saw a suggestion about getting some help for my insomnia as it could help with the others. I have been on many different medication but none of them have seemed to work so far, I'm still continuing to try and solve the problem. Also my father doesn't know of these medical issues but will find out soon as my counsellor told my mother and is sure to tell my father too. Thanks again for all the help.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
thedeathofme (love the nickname), may I ask if you are under a doctor's care or self-diagnosed? If you are seeing a medical professional, you really need to tell them about the insomnia.
I thought your account fairly well written, and hope to hear more from you.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
thedeathofme,

Thanks for sharing and yes it was very sincere of you to be honest.

I definitely think you need to get some help with insomnia as that can help with several of your medical issues. Apart from that yes I do think that old man was your previous resident and any help from you might be useful.

Also is you dad aware of your medical concerns?
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
Hello thedeathofme, welcome to YGS. I go with Nephylim. First thing, you are honest about your medical issues. And you narration was neat and to the point. As Nephylim said, it might be the spirit of the old man and he was doing what he had been doing while he was alive.

As Neph advised, you can talk to the old man. Whenever you see his presence, why don't just talk to him aloud, of course, with respect and not in an offensive way, that he should respect your privacy and that you were not to be startled by his doings and presence. You can do it for a few days and perhaps that would help you. You are really a brave person, otherwise, it would be difficult for you to stay in the house alone every day.

After a few days, you can tell him that he had passed on and that his wife also passed on peacefully in her sleep. Give some time for him to realise it. Then later you can advise him to lead himself to light as he has passed on long ago. This would definitely help in the disturbances you are experiencing to go away.

As far as your medical problems are concerned, they are curable. There is no worry about it. Only thing is that it should be attended to properly.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-10)
Hi thedeathofme,

Firstly, I want to say thank you for the honesty regarding your "mental issues" as you put it.
It allows us to look at the facts from all angles.

In my personal opinion, I think it could possibly be the spirit of the old man that died in the house. It is just a theory, but maybe, due to the fact that the couple died at different times, he came back to the house they lived in to stay with her but upon his return, found that she had passed and is now stuck.
The occurrence while you were in the bath sounds like he may just be repeating something he did in life. Walking to the bathroom while his wife was in the bath and knocking before entering. The fact that he went away when you told him to indicates at least some level of awareness.

Have you tried talking to this spirit? Perhaps you could help him move on.

Regards,

Neph
lion_king99 (15 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-10)
Scary! Your English was fine, though 😊 Have you talked to your mom or friends about this?

Regards,
Lion_king99

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: