You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Experiences Including An Odd Recording And

Real Ghost Stories

My Experiences Including An Odd Recording And

 

This is my first time posting my experiences online so please bear with me if it's too long/short etc. I have had a few experiences in my life so far, I wouldn't say I'm 'sensitive' to this kind of thing, but I do tend to see things a lot.

My first experience was when I was 8 years old at my dad's house in Portsmouth. I was on the top bunk of a bunk bed one night, trying to get to sleep. I rolled onto my side so I was facing the room and saw a young girl stood in the middle of the room. She was so real that for a moment I thought it was my sister, but then I heard her snoring on the bed below. I stared at the girl and I can remember clearly that she was dressed in what I can only describe as 'Roman' clothing, with blonde hair and blue eyes. She just stood, staring straight ahead, not acknowledging me at all. I freaked out and turned over and squeezed my eyes shut.

After that, it was a while until anything else happened. But when I was 12, we moved into a temporary house in Derbyshire, where my belief in the paranormal was strengthened. From the second I walked in I could feel a kind of 'pressure' in the air. The whole house had this atmosphere which was unbearable at times. I was sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a while and one morning I woke up to see a young boy sitting cross-legged on the floor beside me. The sun shining through the window passed straight through him, and he looked gentle and kind, I wasn't afraid of him.

But there was another 'spirit' the whole family could feel. One time, I came out of the kitchen in time to see a tall black mass dart into the next room. I ran out of the house and walked aimlessly for hours until I plucked up the courage to return. We would hear footsteps coming from upstairs, feel things brush past us, see shadows and feel a constant 'pressure'. After 5 months, we moved out, glad to be rid of the house.

The new house, just down the road, was a breath of fresh air, the atmosphere was welcoming and my room in the attic never bothered me. Sometimes my mum would feel breath on her face/neck in the night, and my sister heard knocking on her bedroom door, but it was never anything malicious and we never felt uneasy or in danger.

During our time at this house, however, I had one of my weirdest paranormal experiences that I still can't explain even to this day. I was home alone practising the piano. I decided I would record myself playing so I could play it back and hear where I was going wrong etc. After recording a good 1 minute of playing, I clicked the 'playback' button. There was no piano music played back. Instead, I heard the voice of a child ask "Why has she stopped playing?" and then a man's voice mumbling something in response. It was so clear and it made my blood run cold. Again, I left the house for hours because I was so freaked out. Sadly, the phone I used to record broke soon after so I'm unable to upload the clip.

My most recent experience was when we were holidaying in a small cottage by the sea in Devon. It was a lovely cottage in a beautiful place so I felt very comfortable there. But one night, I glanced into the corner of the room and I could see clearly an elderly woman looking right at me. I shot bolt-right up in bed and stared at her. She snarled at me but her teeth weren't right. I can only describe it as 'shark teeth' like layers of very pointy teeth. I pulled the duvet over my head and spent the night in a cold sweat unable to sleep.

So, those are my experiences. If anyone could shed any light on the 'shark tooth' lady or the strange recording, that would be great.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, -Holly-, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

-Holly- (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-18)
[at] NorthCoastie

Thanks for the comment! The recording is the one I really can't explain, even to this day. I've shown friends and family and nobody seems to have an explanation. I'm just gutted that I've lost it now, I wish I had found this website sooner so I could have uploaded it!

I think the hallucinations after sleeping explain the shark-tooth lady as this sounds like a character you would find in a dream. The fact that I shot bolt-right up in bed makes me think I might have done that to wake myself up? Which is a relief, because it's a bit creepy to think I had actually seen an evil-looking ghost.

For some reason though the roman girl and the little boy felt a lot more real. I was a lot younger when I saw the girl so I guess it could have been a hallucination, but I remember seeing the boy and it didn't feel dream-like.

In answer to your question, I have seen things shortly after waking up on 2 separate occasions, many years apart and at 2 different houses (one being when I saw the little boy and the other being the shark-tooth lady)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-16)
Elf, well that's the thing about EVPs, sometimes they are crystal clear (class A), other times, they do a lot of cleaning up in order to 'hear' things. I'm always suspicious on shows where they say "This sounds like someone saying "close the door" or whatever. Do I actually hear it? Or am I hearing what I'm TOLD it says? Quite often on a particular popular ghost hunting show, they'll say "You can hear clear as a bell someone saying..." and their buddies are agreeing, and I'm like ok, I heard snap, crackle, pop, unintelligible noise.
Might be worth a shot just to satisfy your curiosity. If you can understand when others speak to you, you stand a good chance of being able to hear an EVP.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-16)
Definitely one of the creepiest stories I have read... About the recording. When you pick up something that clear that you can make out "why has she stopped playing"... That's serious stuff!

I am a firm believer that 99.99999% of the "ghosts" people see when coming in or out of a state of sleep is your mind playing tricks on you vs. Paranormal. This is kind of like a what came first, the chick or the egg type of philosophical question though. Are the spirits able to appear to us when we are in this state of mind because we are more vulnerable, or is the fact that we are in this state the cause of hallucinations?

As I have said in other posts... I have had experiences with "hypnagogic" and "hypnopompic" hallucinations. One is right before you fall asleep, the other is right after you wake up. Basically, your mind is still dreaming as you are waking up, and you see your dream still playing out for a few seconds. My weirdest experience was seeing a bottle of Aunt Jemima maple syrup walking across the sheets of my bed towards me as I woke up. Cleary this was in my head and not a ghost... Unless there was the tragic death of a bottle of maple syrup in my house that did not wish to pass on and remained behind due to unfinished business.

The fact, however, that you have captured an EVP, builds more evidence that your visions may be more than just hallucinations. What I look for in these cases is a pattern... Have you ever seen things shortly after waking anywhere other than this specific location?
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-15)
Thanks, Val! Helpful as always. The thing about sound hidden in white noise, to me, is that it's got to be tricky to differentiate between what's really there and what you only imagine is there. Sort of the audio version of castles in the clouds, if you know what I mean?

That said, I would like to try recording evps, though for me it would probably be pointless. I have pretty persistent tinnitis (ringing in the ears?) That would surely make it hard to hear evps. Sigh.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-15)
Hi Elf,
Personally, I've never had to do EVPs. At least not on purpose. I know I'll sound like a wackadoodle, but generally if a spirit has something to say, I hear them.
Currently it is believed that a spirit or whatever it is uses the electromagnetic energy to manipulate the air waves to create audible sound. The same is true for the audio or EVP. The energy is used to manipulate the equipment and cause an audible recording. Most researchers say that any decent digital recorder will do the job.
Quite often they find words and phrases hidden within white noise. I think this is why we might not always hear them easily. Just like someone will say they didn't hear you, when you were in the same room. People are very adapt at NOT listening. TVs, radios, heck even their own heartbeat can be a distraction and block 'hearing'.
This is a decent article on making your own EVP session: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-do-an-evp-session
I hope this was helpful!
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-15)
Val, have you ever recorded evps? I've thought about trying it but I have a lot of questions, like what's the best recording device to use? And how can ghosts make sounds anyway and why can we sometimes hear them on recordings when we couldn't hear them with the naked ear?

Sounds are basically just vibration, so they must have some mechanism for creating vibrations that doesn't involve a voice box. I've thought that perhaps there's a way for them to put their voices directly on the recordings, but that doesn't always make sense. Holly's recording, for example, was two ghosts talking to each other. There's no reason to think they were trying to communicate with her?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-14)
Holly, a class A EVP is very clear and audible, without the need of being amplified or enhanced in any way to be understood. These are the most desirable EVPs, and the rarest.
Here's a site that will give you the different rankings of EVPs. Http://liparanormalinvestigators.com/evp_classification.shtml
-Holly- (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-14)
[at] elfstone810 Thanks for the information. I'm really quite clueless when it comes to technical terms so it was really interesting to read your comment. And yes, just to confirm, the recording was many many years later in a different house:)

[at] valkricry Thanks for the comment. Could you explain what is meant by a class A EVP? I'd be really interested to learn the different types! It still puzzles me that no piano music was picked up at all, not even faintly in the background.

It is possible that the shark lady was projected from a dream. I had been to sleep before I saw her and, to be quite honest, It's nicer to believe it was part of a dream because it still freaks me out so much!
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-14)
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the evp was residual. That was years later than the Roman girl and at a completely different house, right?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-14)
The recording would not have been residual as it was about a current happening, "Why did she stop playing?" and an incoherent reply. That would be a class A evp. Obviously a couple of spirits enjoying the piano music. But, I do not understand why the music was not also recorded.
The shark tooth lady... Is it possible that you had been asleep before glancing into that corner? I ask this, because sometimes when first awaken our subconscious will project part of the dream onto reality. For instance, you might 'see' spiders on the pillow next to you. Or, I once was woken by some sound, and sitting up saw my bed was surrounded by grey 'men'. I shook my head, thinking it was a dream, but they were still there. I screamed - loud enough my children were waken and came running in, but there was nothing there. This experience was not accompanied by my usual 'paranormal' sense, so I think it was a dream hallucination. Perhaps the shark lady was of the same ilk?
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-13)
Thanks for answering me so quickly! 😁

The theory I was referring to is called the "stone tape theory". The idea is that stone, and possibly some types of stone more than others, is able to somehow record images and then replay them under the right atmospheric conditions. That may be why so many sightings of Roman soldiers take place where the old Roman roads still exist under ground.

Maybe one or more of your house's foundation stones was from an ancient road or building and came with a recording attached?
-Holly- (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-13)
[at] elfstone810 Thanks for the comment, I meant as in Ancient Rome, she had on an ankle-length piece of white-ish clothing that came over her right shoulder. The house is just your generic brick house I think. I know that it is an old house and I've tried to research into it's history but I've not had much luck.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-13)
You've had some interesting experiences! The girl in Portsmouth sounds like a residual haunting. When you say "Roman dress" do you mean as in ancient Rome or Romany as in gypsy? Do you remember what that house was built of? I ask because there's a theory that some materials are better able to record residual hauntings than others. Residuals often seem to run down over time, like a battery going dead, and the centuries since Rome ruled Britain make for a very old ghost. And yet, I understand Roman ghosts are fairly common there?

The recording was an example of an evp or "electronic voice phenomenon". I have no idea about the shark tooth lady. 😲

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: