You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Story In Bali - Ubud

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Story In Bali - Ubud

 

I moved to Bali Island, the Island of Gods, just about two months ago.

If you have ever read my other stories, you'd know that I lived in China until recently. Last July I graduated, and the company had difficulties giving working visa for a new graduate like me due to new regulations, etc (China is making life exceedingly difficult for us foreigners). I was forced to go back home.

So I choose Bali. I have always been fascinated by spiritual things and stories, and Bali, well, you know, is a very spiritual island. Balinese people always say that every inch of land in this island is a sacred land, and every feet of the land has spirits. That is very true.

In the middle of July I arrived at Ubud. A small, very spiritual city in the middle of Bali where every house provided small offerings everyday, Hindu ceremony happened almost everyday, and there were still many small roads without lights and houses located between forestry and shrubberies.

My boarding house was located on a small lane. It had two or three several houses near, but in front of and on the left side of the boarding house was either paddy field, thick shrubberies, or untouched forest. No lamplights to light the road at nights, and in the middle of the night, you could hear crickets and sometimes, the nearby cocks screamed cock-a-doodle-do aloud. People said when cocks sounded in the middle of the night instead of at sunrise, they told you spirits were near.

No need to mention I didn't have the courage to venture out after sunset.

One particular night, I was lying on my bed, calling my close friend who lived in Kuta, near the famous Kuta Beach, and he tried to persuade me to move to Kuta or somewhere around Denpasar, not cooped up alone in the middle of a forest.

All of a sudden, the cocks nearby started screaming, one after another, and even the dogs were howling like wolves. It was a night of full moon (remember the middle of July?), but I wasn't really that scared because I was on the phone. Note that my room had very modest furniture, only a bed and a standing fan. No drawers, cabinet, TV, not even an air conditioner. No place to hide.

I started freaking out when the only light in my room went off. There was a small bathroom in the corner of my room, and I could see the light from inside, indicating the bathroom's door was opened, except that I was a hundred percent sure I closed the door before. I always did that before lying on the bed since I was afraid, you know, that if the door was opened something might creep out of the bathroom.

Now the door was opened and the light was on. If it was electricity problem, shouldn't the whole house be dark? I just changed the light in my room to a new white lamp (bought two days before) since the original lamp was yellow and dim. No way it could broke so quickly.

I told my friend the condition and very sure he could hear the freaking out tone in my voice, but he still tried to soothe me, telling me to try clicking on the light switch. I did that in a panic -- couldn't think anymore and just do whatever I was told -- and the light was on again. My friend said, "See? It ain't a ghost."

He didn't soothe me one bit because the lights turned on when I clicked the switch -- meaning something clicked it off while I was lying on my bed, not seeing anything. I clicked the switch several times and it worked normally.

So who turned the light off without me seeing it?

Other hauntings by xiao88

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, xiao88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

xiao88 (9 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
[at] lily
Hell yeah I do have more stories which happened in just a little more than a month... I have never been in a place which offers me many encounters almost daily... Bali is terrific in its own way lol
Oh, I have never gotten the night shift (it's reserved for men) but I did come home at almost twelve o'clock on two occasions and it was super creepy. I also heard various stories from my colleagues.
By the way, do you also live in Bali? You seem to know a lot...
LilyOfWartune (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
Good for you xiao... Really happy to heard that
Hotels in Bali did have some spirits... But it shouldn't be a problem if you get used to it... But try your best to avoid night shift, LOL
In fact, if you find new experiences there, you should post it here... I have a feeling that there's still more stories from you
Best regards, Lily 😁
xiao88 (9 stories) (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-22)
Hello all, thanks for the comments! Sorry I took so long before replying. Firstly, I am glad to inform you that I have moved from Ubud to... Kuta. Practically still Bali, still sacred, and still lots of ghosts.

Lucky I have learned to cope up with ghosts for years (from my experiences back in China) but every encounter still shocks the hell out of me sometimes.
In Bali, the problem goes deeper than mere encounter; if you aren't being careful, you may be cursed. And this isn't some old wives' tale, this is true.

[at] Lily
Thanks for the advice! I happily moved to a quieter house, but still meets many spirits on my workplace, which is a hotel. Hotels always have ghost stories and spirits loitering about... Right?

[at] Hahiha
No time for researching unfortunately... Because I packed up my bags very soon after.

[at] Miracles
I have never met a ridiculously dangerous spirit here until now, but certainly have met some naughty ones. And yes, this island is spiritual in every aspect, even in daily life.

[at] Rajen
Thanks! The master of witchcraft isn't uncommon in Indonesia, but finding a real one is a tedious task. Eight masters out of ten are fakes.
Rajen (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
A good write up. Like Miracles said, if it just stopped with the lights, it doesn't seem to be bad... Glad nothing bad happened. Some spirits just try to communicate and maybe the one you encountered just wanted to make its presence felt to you.
I had a friend from jakarta who went to school with me in Kansas. He said he had experienced a lot of paranormal activities going on around Bali. He also said there are a lot of people who master in witchcraft and other stuff.
LilyOfWartune (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Ah...I forget to add 'if you can' to my comment... Real clumsy of me...sorry
Xiao88,perhaps you can stays in your friend's house (the one on the phone when it happens) or at least someone to accompany you there if moving out is not an option...

Chances of they're in other places is not just good,it's incredibly great. Some is very harmful because it's about demons, witches and more.But,there are still some place actually friendly to humans in Bali (where spirits leave you alone IF they are not provoked or taunted)

It is very possible that a spirit did that... As you stated, the dogs barking and cocks do cock-a-doodle-do is a sign of spirits

Hope it helped 😊
Arsenius3672108 (4 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Spirits or entities whatever they are. They probably just want some attention and interaction. I imagine this is the case with a lot of ghost encounters. I would make the exception on sleep paralisis as it seems more of a hostile action. So if you live with this thing talk to it every now and again and maybe it will start to like you.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
LilyOfWartune - I'm sure you mean well by your advice to "just move out" but not everyone can just pack up and move. I've seen this advice dozens of times and always wonder if people think it through. Maybe financially the person just can't move. Or perhaps there just isn't anyplace for them to go that they can "just move out."

And if Bali is as spiritual a place as you and xiao88 state, I think chances are good there might be spirits in other places too. One that messes with the lights doesn't seem too bad compared to those that might be more active.
LilyOfWartune (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Just move out, follow your friend's advice and hoped that 'it' doesn't follow you
Bali is rich in culture and its spirits... Especially in full moon. Some of them are very dangerous and I'm glad it doesn't harm you. Full moon in Bali is a nightmare, especially when you're alone and in particular area that's near untouched forest...I've been there
Hahiha (28 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-16)
That was a creepy story, maybe you could research the history of the house?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: