You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Wardrobe Door

Real Ghost Stories

Old Wardrobe Door

 

When I was around the age of 16/17 I lived with my parents in Moulton, Northampton. The bungalow was built in the 1940's so was about 60/70 years old. The attic was turned into one big bedroom that my parents slept in, which was creepy enough, even during the day.

I had the bedroom that was right next to the stairs and opposite the bathroom. As you walked into my room, on the left was a small walk-in wardrobe that fitted directly underneath the staircase. The door was quite small so you had to duck to put clothes in or take some out. It was also really tough to open, so you had to use a lot of force as it was an old door or it just wasn't fitted properly.

One night I was lying in bed with my now ex-boyfriend. We were watching a film, it was around 1 am and I started hearing creaking. As the house was old and in the middle of summer I brushed it off to being the floor boards. I focused back on the film and within a few minutes I saw something moving out the corner of my eye. I looked over to my wardrobe and it was slowly opening.

I got my ex's attention and he brushed it off as being my belongings falling over and pushing the door open from inside. So I got up and had a look round but the only things that were in there were my clothes and nothing else. I brushed it off again, thinking that I must have not closed it properly.

A couple of nights later I was in the kitchen with my mum when we both heard a loud bang and creaking again. It sounded like it came from upstairs so we brushed it off as being our Labrador Bella. I offered her a cup of tea and went to get my mug from my bedroom.

When I walked in I saw that my wardrobe door was wide open again. I let out a little scream and my mum came in to see if I was okay. She could see I was shaken, so took me into the living room where I explained what happened a couple of nights before. Mum, being like me, she believed in the paranormal so she knew I wasn't lying about what happened.

After that things calmed down for a while. Was there something in my wardrobe that wanted to come out to say hello? Or just to torment me?

Other hauntings by charpam893

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, charpam893, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

charpam893 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Hey SDS,

My parents no longer live in the house anymore so I have no way of experimenting anymore. I did try once when they did live there by leaving it open to see if closed at all (bit of a poor experiment but I thought if it opened it may close again). The experiment did work though but it only closed slightly. I took photo's of how I left it open which are now sadly lost as my laptop broke and I lost everything on it. But I do hear and see where you are all coming from still. It could have easily been because the house is old etc. And due to heat and cold etc. It just really freaked me out as it was the first time in a good few months (about 7/8) since anything like that had happened again.

Zack84 - I know what you mean by doors are creepy! Haha, I don't know what it is about doors new or old, they just have a creepy feeling about them but I think it's because they are the most easiest to be used in paranormal experiences such as opening, closing, slamming etc haha but can easily be debunked to something totally simple like a small unnoticeable breeze or old door frames! But I know what you mean about the cold shiver up the spine that doors cause when they move by themselves!

Thanks again guys, all the comments have put my mind at ease!:)
Zack84 (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-21)
God I hate doors that open on their own... Seriously. Of all the haunting experiences we had in my mom's home, the doors randomly opening was the only thing that really freaked me out. We were able to prove it was completely non-paranormal, in our case the old house's settling foundation had caused the interior walls to slant ever so slightly and so the doors were actually "falling open".

Even though I knew exactly what was causing it, I'd still get that cold shiver up my spine every time one of those doors would slowly creeeeeeaaaakk open at random.

Thanks for the post!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-20)
Hi charpam893, I go with BJJ and NorthCoastie on this. As NorthCoastie said, we share our opinions after some years and so whatever suggestions that is made in this forum could not be implemented or we couldn't do experiments.

Still if your parents are living in the same house even now, well, you can really do so by investigating the matter to check if it is paranormal or otherwise. But still I keep my fingers crossed on this encounter.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
charpam893 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-17)
The door had never been oiled the whole time I lived there. I never thought to put a lock on it. But me and my sister swapped rooms and it never happened again after that!

Thanks for your help and opinions guys!:)
DiscoNinja (2 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-17)
LostGhostGal

I had to read your comment 5 times to make sense of it. 😕
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-17)
Or Oil At first I was in the bathroom and My door wen open itself I thought I was paranormal until mom explain that she oil it that cause of oil.
kunwarkh (2 stories) (55 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-17)
Hi Charpam,

A door in my mothers wardrobe also budged open every couple of days. So she just started locking it because sometimes it used to wake her up during the night because it suddenly opened. Nothing happened after that. It still opens up if she forgets to lock it, I'll try to film it if you want, it does startle first time visitors a bit 😆.

These things tend to happen and you should not think much of it. Like NC and BJJ said, doesn't seem paranormal.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-16)
Too bad we remember a lot of these stories years after they happened and we moved out, or we could experiment with them. I'd have put a latch on the door to see what happened, or blocked it with something. The scratching is pretty creepy though, could always be rodents, which even might be scarier than a ghost to some people, but you never know.
charpam893 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-16)
Thanks for the comments! Definitely taking then into consideration!
It just used to scare me how it would open with a lot of force behind it.

A lot things happened with that door. Sometimes I'd hear scratching coming from inside and it even closed after opening once even though the carpet got underneath it as it opened!
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+5
10 years ago (2013-10-16)
Agreed - wood tends to swell / shrink in different humidity / temperature conditions. Changes in air pressure also cause doors to open or shut. If I shut my front door really hard, it changes the air pressure in my house and causes the pantry door in my kitchen to open up!

Another possibility is that you have found the portal to Narnia.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-16)
Did anything ever happen other than the door opening? Humidity, temperature, mundane things like that can make doors swell or shrink. We have a door that, depending on the weather, is nigh impossible to keep shut. It's inconvenient and a little annoying, but not paranormal. Based on what you've shared here, I wouldn't call this paranormal.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: